Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok guys I manage a glass shop that has a large grinding and cutting area. Getting a perfect polish will just never happen in a tumbler unless something is tumbled by itself with the proper medium. For grits you can use silicone carbide, aluminum oxide, diamonds. If you want a perfect polish, There are two compounds we use in our last steps. So after we get something to a 600 or 800 grit, we move onto pumice and cerium. pumice uses a felt wheel and cerium uses a cork wheel. I imagine if you used cork as a filler in the tumbler that would work. Also super important is to never have any contamination between any of the grits. one tiny spec can create larger scratches than the grit your on and you will have to go back a step to remove them.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also forgot to mention that taking enough time on each step is super important. so say you start on 80 grit, then go to 120, then 220, then 400, then 600. 80 grit is the fastest step, where with each step in grit size, slightly more time is needed. we buy grit at hisglassworks online. They have everything you need.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T.C.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last step is to burnish for two weeks. The burnish material is nothing more than Ivory soap whittled into small pieces. One tablespoon does the trick.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread