5/12/11 road trip

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Left the house at 8 AM so I could be at the first bank by 9 AM. Drove until I ran out of open banks at 5:00 PM, then started heading home. It took nearly 12 hours from the time I left unti I arrived back home. . . I'm pretty exhausted.

Fewer halves were being found so I decided to expand my range again. Drove about 410 miles round trip this time. Picked up $140 in CWR halves and $45.50 in loose halves. Best batch was a 4 roll set from a small-town bank that yielded 19 with the best roll having 7 of them. Scored 1 each from 3 other rolls picked up at another small town bank, and only 1 from loose halves. Would love to be finding 90%'ers, but I'm certainly not going to complain about todays harvest :hello2:

2 X 1965
4 X 1966
7 X 1967
6 X 1968D
4 X 1969D
------------
23 40%'ers

On my way through town I bought another halves box, have not opened it yet. Too tired to be tempted by another likely skunk box right now :dontknow:

Bob

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you can do when you're not finding the amount of halves you're hoping for and/or your trip is almost over and you have plenty of money left, is to buy dimes. It doesn't cost you any extra gas, and while a silver dime isn't a silver half dollar, a little extra silver is better than none. I call it "bonus" silver.

bsktbllsam

Apr 16, 2011
well, assuming you spent about $80 in gas, you still made like 30-40 bucks profit. melt value ~$120 at current spot

dougbfromnorthga

Apr 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a fun trip. You picked a good day for it as well. It was sunny & warm in the South. HH Doug

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
ArkieBassMan said:
One thing you can do when you're not finding the amount of halves you're hoping for and/or your trip is almost over and you have plenty of money left, is to buy dimes. It doesn't cost you any extra gas, and while a silver dime isn't a silver half dollar, a little extra silver is better than none. I call it "bonus" silver.
I've not had much luck with dime boxes around here. Out of a dozen dime boxes, I've only found 1 silver dime in one. Now CWR dimes are a different story. As small as dimes are, I have difficulty seeing dates and mint marks without having to use something much stronger than reading glasses.

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
bsktbllsam said:
well, assuming you spent about $80 in gas, you still made like 30-40 bucks profit. melt value ~$120 at current spot
Only used about $25 in fuel on this trip. I drive a plug-in hybrid modified Prius. I charge it up good from solar power at home prior to going on trips like this.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kb4iqm said:
ArkieBassMan said:
I've not had much luck with dime boxes around here. Out of a dozen dime boxes, I've only found 1 silver dime in one. Now CWR dimes are a different story. As small as dimes are, I have difficulty seeing dates and mint marks without having to use something much stronger than reading glasses.

My dime boxes don't produce very well either, but I think you missed my point. When you're on a long road trip like that, there is no sense in not maximizing your chances to find silver. I know you don't burn much gasoline, but that gasoline is already spent so to speak. You're going to be stopping at those banks anyway. Might as well buy some other denomination(s) while you're there if you've got the cash. I prefer handrolls as well, but out of town dime boxes might produce better than what you're used to also. Its really just a free shot to find a little extra silver.

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
ArkieBassMan said:
kb4iqm said:
My dime boxes don't produce very well either, but I think you missed my point. When you're on a long road trip like that, there is no sense in not maximizing your chances to find silver. I know you don't burn much gasoline, but that gasoline is already spent so to speak. You're going to be stopping at those banks anyway. Might as well buy some other denomination(s) while you're there if you've got the cash. I prefer handrolls as well, but out of town dime boxes might produce better than what you're used to also. Its really just a free shot to find a little extra silver.
Oh, I don't waste the opportunity for sure. I do ask for CWR dimes at most places that I ask for halves, in fact I ask for the dimes first. I just don't buy boxes of dimes very often. I do not ask for quarters very often either. I usually buy loose quarters from car wash change machines along the way as I go out for Dr appts or other trips. I keep a couple of extra bank bags in the car to fill up with quarters as opportunity strikes. Once in a while I will buy a box or a few hundred $ in rolls of quarters, but that is rare for me as well. I prefer my quarters in bags or loose.

That will soon be changing once I get my quarters and dimes sorters up and running. I'll be looking for quarters and dimes in bulk and let the machines do all the hard work of sorting the clads from the non-clads. Then I'll pick through the non-clads. There is just way too much clad bulk in the quarters these days. At least CWR dimes have a better percentage yield than quarters.

I don't know how to put this without the risk of offending others, but I just don't get as excited about my dime and quarter finds as I do about halves. I have been collecting dimes and quarters for so long that the excitement of those finds has waned long ago, while halves are a more recent experience for me. So unless I come across an unusual batch of dimes, I usually do not post about those I find. For example, the first dime found from a box I posted, because it was a first, and I only started buying boxes a few months ago. And that collection of barbers and liberty V nickels in sequential dates was different enough for me to post about. If I were to post about all of the dimes that I find, I would be posting about them nearly daily, and I feel that would get old with others here really quick.

Speaking of collections, that teller called again. The lady with the barber and V nickel collection from last week stopped by with more of her late husbands collection to cash in. I delivered little individual boxes of chocolates to the tellers as I stopped by the bank. I picked up 3 barber halves, 2 barber quarters, 18 mostly sequential date/mint mercury dimes, and 2 roosevelt dimes. Too bad they didn't have another full penny or dime bag from their coin counter for me to pick up while I was there :laughing7:

I'm considering taking pictures and posting them today since it is another unusual batch of coins for me.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread