5/21 Northern KY hunt with a what is it (possible elliptical gorget, preform?) ?

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hello,

I walked a farm in Northern Kentucky yesterday. I had a nice day and it's good to FINALLY see the sun again :wink: . Here are the highlights of my finds.

Regarding the shaped stone... Yes, I looked and looked trying to find the other half, but no luck. Any help on ID'ing it would be greatly appreciated. It's a medium gray material with black specks and white inclusions...

Profile pic:
whatisitprofile1.png

Profile pic:
whatisitprofile2.png

Broken Base:
whatisitbase.png

Point:
whatisitpoint.png

Here's am image of it wet:
whatisitwet.png

Here's a nice, small colorful point I found. Can anyone ID this? What type of flint?
colorful1.png

Opposite side:
colorful2.png

Here's a nice knife (and my personal favorite find of the day). What type of flint is this made of?
knife1.png

Knife (other side)
knife2.png

Nice uniface scraper:
uniface1.png

Other side of uniface scraper:
uniface2.png

Here's a group pic of my finds yesterday:
group2.png

So is the item above an un-drilled, preform gorget? What do you think? It's symmetrical and very finely shaped... The odd thing to me is the material used.

Thanks in advance and good luck hunting out there!

Shane

Upvote 0

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
Nice finds, I especially like the knife. I do believe you found a pendant or a gorget, only the piece you found doesn't have any holes in it which makes it harder to identify. Here is a piece I found that is similiar in shape to yours but contains the tapered part of the drilled hole which is right at the break.

Attachments

• 100_3135A.jpg
    100_3135A.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 455
F

Felinepeachy

Nice finds. I love the material of that point with the stripes in it.

M

mickey

you may have found the poll end of a celt. hope you find the other half to be sure. happy hunting

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im going with pole end of a adz

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you Shane. The material just doesn't look like something they would use for a Gorget, though I have seen some funky material used before. Just from what I can see in your pictures it really doesn't look like there are any polishing marks or any evidence of it being shaped. Almost every Gorget or Pendant I have ever seen will have squared off edges and flat sides and that piece doesn't have either. It may be part of a Celt or Adz like others have suggested, but I honestly believe it's just an elliptical shaped natural stone.

OP
OP
Flint-seeker

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
SRV said:
I agree with you Shane. The material just doesn't look like something they would use for a Gorget, though I have seen some funky material used before. Just from what I can see in your pictures it really doesn't look like there are any polishing marks or any evidence of it being shaped. Almost every Gorget or Pendant I have ever seen will have squared off edges and flat sides and that piece doesn't have either. It may be part of a Celt or Adz like others have suggested, but I honestly believe it's just an elliptical shaped natural stone.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Steve, the pictures I am posting just aren't doing the rocks' shape any justice. It's hard to capture the shape of this rock in photos. It actually does have a formed shape to it, similar to an image I found while searching for an "elliptical shaped dome". It's sort of like the below shape, but doesn't "dome" up as high at the top (and it's obviously broken in half):

elliptical-dome.jpg

It's perfectly flat on one side and perfectly, slighted rounded on the other. There's a clean line around the edge of the rock where the flat part meets the rounded dome top.

When I get home from work tonight I will try to capture a better image of it.

Personally, I think this rock is too highly sanded down and shaped to be used as a celt or adze. The material's outward appearance seems too brittle, unless it may have been created as a ceremonial (non-functioning) celt or adze.

Thanks!

Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread