5/29...goods from the Leech Pit

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Hit the spot on the lake that never stops giving.
Digging barely audible signals in soft sand bottom....targets 12-16" down.
Theres older stuff down there ....just outta range for the Excal.
After 2-1/2 hours of digging and re-filling craters I walked away with a good handful of keepers. Good thing...I was pooped.
PICT0020.JPG
Most of the pennies were 60's Mems. A few wheats ...five silver Rosies....one silver Canadian....40 Jefferson....30 Buff.
PICT0021.JPG
Misc. Junque
PICT0022.JPG
Beautiful day to be out....hope you all had a good one as well.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, jopher. :icon_thumright: Congrats on all the coins. I can only imagine how hard it would be digging underwater. :tongue3: Do you wear a wetsuit? Brrrrr!

HH

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice bunch of old water finds jopher....congrats! :thumbsup: crazy how those nickels keep their color pretty well, while the silver turns black. Almost the opposite effect that soil would have on them. did you clean those at all or is that how they came out of the water? good hunt!

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great water digs!! :icon_thumleft: Gotta get me one of those detectors some day. Congrats!!

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
What's a leech pit? Like full of those slimy bloodsuckers, or where runoff from something goes? :icon_scratch:

Nice finds, btw! ;D

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Michiganne said:
Sweet finds, jopher. :icon_thumright: Congrats on all the coins. I can only imagine how hard it would be digging underwater. :tongue3: Do you wear a wetsuit? Brrrrr!

HH
I have a wet suit , but rarely go deep enough to justify wearing it. These finds came from knee deep water. Im most comfortable in waders.

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
postalgriff said:
nice bunch of old water finds jopher....congrats! :thumbsup: crazy how those nickels keep their color pretty well, while the silver turns black. Almost the opposite effect that soil would have on them. did you clean those at all or is that how they came out of the water? good hunt!
As you pointed out , only the silver seems to suffer , ranging from tarnish to that heavy black crust. These are uncleaned...straight from the scoop.

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Brentallica said:
Great water digs!! :icon_thumleft: Gotta get me one of those detectors some day. Congrats!!
A land detector works fine in shallow water spots like this....just have to tether it up to insure you dont get the box wet.

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
jadeblackhawk said:
What's a leech pit? Like full of those slimy bloodsuckers, or where runoff from something goes? :icon_scratch:

Nice finds, btw! ;D
Not as bad as it sounds. It is an area of a nice lake where a creek dumps in.
A slow moving body in the water for a couple hours will pick up some "hitchhikers" on bare skin.....I just wear my waders.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Leeches don't bother me, they're harmless. I give you credit for those water finds, awesome! I've water hunted twice, that dfx coil just wanted to float. The coil I have now should work, weighs like a ton o bricks. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread