5/4/17 Nokta Impact and EMI

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
On the outset, I had bad EMI in three different spots. Yesterday. I went to one of the spots and tried everything I could to create the severe EMI issue I had before. Except for some mild chatter, I could not replicate it even at a 95 gain in di2. One(or all) of four factors were at work here:

I did not use the headphones that came with the pro-pack. I left them at home.

I updated the machine with the 5/2/17 update. The machine may have had the wrong software to begin with and the update brought it current.

I changed batteries from Duracells to the ones that came with the machine(99% sure this WASN'T the reason).

The EMI that was there before wasn't present now. It may have been that there was something that was running at the time I was not aware of.

More testing is needed here and I am working on it.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you have emi issues on all 3 frequencies?
Chub

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Did you have emi issues on all 3 frequencies?
Chub

I did. Since the update though, it has been better. Still inside the house it goes nuts.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It it possible to ispect the condition of the coil cable? Quite concerning though. Im sure Dilek can shed some light on it. How does the coil wire extend up and down the shaft when you adjust it? Is it couled like a telephone wire?

Thanks
Chub

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for interest sake how long does an update take?
Thanks
Chub

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The update only took a minute or two. Took longer to re-input my settings. Luckily I had made a cheat sheet with my settings so it's just a matter of punching them in and not having to re-figure out all the settings I wanted to use.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tip! I was wondering if the coil wire in its outstretched or insretched postion may have acted like a tuning coil on a radio (i do realise the cable is shielded) was the shaft extended the same ammount?
Regards
Chub

Last edited:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I noticed when we did our three day detecting trip that there were times I encountered EMI, and was able to just use the Frequency Shift to alleviate it. That was running the gain at 98/99 with the disc @ 1. All EMI is different, and I've yet to run the Impact in the city where EMI reigns supreme, but I felt that it was doing pretty well with EMI and didn't for the most part encounter cross-talk interference from my buddies Explorer2 (which usually gives my machines a fit), until we were within a few feet of each other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread