5 Barber Day! ++

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Wow, what a day is all I can say. My best day ever. I have to give the whole story. I had Columbus Day off and wanted to hit a great site, not something where I'd be lucky to find something good, but a major hot spot. There's a spot that is off limits, where you could get in some big trouble, but unlikely you'd be caught. I usually don't go for spots like this, but I had to go for it and take the risk today. It was a major recreation area for thousands of people over the years back in the early part of the century. It is original land away from "civilization" so no development or change of land, just erosion over the years. I figured if I lose my $100 radio shack detector and have to pay a big fine, I'll take the chance. I figured I wouldn't end up in jail. Anyway, shouldn't everyone be arrested once in life? I am hoping not and I wasn't today. So, here goes, I get out to the site and it's a beautiful day. I figure if people have detected out here, they have probably gone over the easiest areas (flat lands) first, so I go to the cliff's edge, about 70 degree drop of about 25 to 30 feet and start carefully detecting the side hill figuring as time eroded the land coins would move down the hill. I see part of an old bottle and detect over it and get a great silver/copper signal (they are the same on my detector). I usually only dig these signals to cover the most area (though I know I miss gold and other goodies). I look down where the signal is and SEE, yes, SEE 1/3 of a BIG coin sticking out of the side of the hill with dirty STARS around the edge and I know it's a Barber and pull out this fantastic 1907 Barber 1/2 you see below. It's a beauty and my third ever. What a jolt! This is just 10 minutes into my hunt. Now I am fired up and start detecting the hill side more down the cliff, get another great signal, but more excitement than care, I lose my footing, fall on my back and I'm lying on the 70 degree slope starting to slide and figure I am going whether I like it or not, so I slide and land on the soft ground about 25 ft below, no harm. I climb back up to my detector and make a foothold this time and dig the signal--a 1900 Barber quarter!!! I scratched it a bit because of the difficult digging. Now I am nuts with happiness and excitement. I am going all around the place and I find a Buffalo nickel and a wheatie. Then, wow, this is great. I get a great signal and dig an 1897 Barber quarter and almost forget to recheck the hole, but did and got another great signal. Now I am fired up knowing this has to be a second old coin and it's ANOTHER Barber quarter, 1904, in the same hole! Then I keep going and find a 19?? date rubbed Barber dime. This has been about three hours and I have to go, but on the way out find a 1941 Merc! (These were the coin highlights. Not pictured I also got a seargent's metal uniform bars. A nice small thick green bottle fully intact. A silver spoon. Amazingly, I got all these great coins and only one penny. Go figure! There must be a ton of more stuff there...do I keep risking it? By the way, it's gov't land, not private. Thanks to Earthworks for taking the great photo.) The thing at the very bottom of photo looks like facing part of a ring or other item. I have to read it more carefully. Appears Latin and perhaps was for a college.

Attachments

• barberday001.jpg
    barberday001.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 672
  • barberday02.jpg
    barberday02.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 631
Upvote 0

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
holy cow,,,,,,, awesome day out there !!!!!!!!! yikes..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

i aint getting into this this time.......................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Nice finds for sure. I'd have to say if it's illegal to be there, then don't. Gives us detectorists a bad name. ::) But on the other hand I'd have to........................................ :-X

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Awesome finds for sure!! And like daytondigger said, I wouldn't tell you to, but there's no way I'd be able to stay away. Maybe you should bring a small bag of trash with you so at least if someone approaches you about it you are doing good as well. I think the worst that might happen is they tell you to leave.

Keep us posted!

johnrielly

Jun 14, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my friend will detect anytime permission or not. It kinda makes my angry but I cant control what he does I usually stay far away from him as I can get...EXAMPLE about a 4 months ago we went to a park that has a pool. The pool has a fence all around saying no trespassing. So of course he hops the fence and goes to town. So I went way across the field so it looked like I wasnt with him because you know if he got caught in there I would get in trouble also. The next day I sent a letter to the city manager asking permission to detect. (Try to do it the legal way first at least.)

ticotiger14

Jul 29, 2004
Those are some nice poached coins. A buddy of mine got caught detecting on private property and they prosecuted him. I think his fine was like 400.00 and quite a bit of trouble, like being booked and court dates, etc. It's okay if you get run off but not if they decide to prosecute.
HH, Tico

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
awesome stuff bergie! it would be hard to resist a spot like that, i must admit. i very possibly would have done the same thing. just be carefull. incredible finds though! :o

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I love those coins. I would push it myself. Just keep your ears open for leaves moving and shuffling. Don't know how thick the foliage is there, but, you might be able to hear someone coming before you see the person.

The uniform insigia is called "chevron". Below is a link to Marine Corps rank insignias. Might help you out if you find more. Black was for the battle dress and charlie uniforms and the gold was for the dress uniforms.....

GL and HH hope to see a lot more of THOSE finds.....

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of government land is it? For instance in Indiana I've heard that if there is no 'no metal detecting' sign posted then you can hunt it until somebody with authority tells you to leave and then if you come back you can be punished.

You could also try night hunting. Sounds like you might be in a spot worth digging every signal if possible.

Good luck and for me it would be hard to resist!

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Bergie, next time wear a hard hat and an orange vest that says "UTILITIES" on it or "Crime Scene Investigations."

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb day...love those barbers!!!! Angel on one shoulder, devil on the other...don't go, go, don;t go...:) I'll go for the gray area.... have you been denied permission to go there or is it posted no detecting? If not, then you could always claim ignorance...but as the saying goes..ignorance of the law is no excuse. Myself, as tempting as this place would be, and I mean REAL tempting, I would ask permission and if denied, keep trying till I got it. Otherwise I would respect their rights as property owners and stay clear of it until I got permission(altough if it's government property, you didn;t say what kind...or what dept....theoretically the government and its property is owned by US the taxpayers..but that might not hold up in court if you get charged)....make a pest out of yourself until someone(try all the officials you can think of including your state rep. and Congressman) gives you permission..and get it in writing if you can.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Hmmmmm, sounds like a place I know. It's not only a State Park but a "National" park. Someone told me they will take your detector so people have been caught. I don't know if they got a fine on top of it.

Everyone should go to jail at least once in their life, huh? :D Not me. I have never got a detention, 27 years driving never got a ticket,... just my cautious personality.

If you are going to break the law I suppose this is not a bad one to break. I would probably set up surveillance for a couple weeks to learn the rangers patterns before embarking on such a bold move. ;)

Finally - SMOKIN finds!! ;D ;D ;D You did well.

Mirage

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Bergie;

you need to find out where whoever works on the site goes for beers at the end of the day...........................

Diggem'

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
One (my first) Barber would be an awesome day. Your finds would consist of me pinching myself and waking up.

Great spot great finds.

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
Bergie--

Usually love your posts and you've had some great finds, these included....But....

Can't believe your current post and the replies to it....If I had a quarter for everytime I've been denied permission because someone was detecting "without permission" at the spot previously, I'd be a millionaire...Or at least I'd have a couple of extra bucks.

People on this forum are usually pretty good about bringing it to the forefront if they feel someone is giving our hobby a bad name....Filling holes, returning class rings, gaining permission before detecting, etc. It's been eluded to a couple of times, but most of the replies seem to be encouraging you. I for one don't agree with what you're doing. Personally you may go to jail if you're caught...that's the risk you take. But the "negatives" you can leave on our hobby in general by your illegal behavior can be just as damaging.

Think it's time for everyone to reread the detectorist's "code of ethics". Just a thought.

T.

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Its a simple case of civil disobedience... He knows he's violating the law and he's willing to accept the punishment if caught... There is no good reasn to close off PUBLIC land like this. To have land like this that is not accessable to those who pay the taxes to maintain it is wrong. And if its a matter of conservation, he is simply removing the unnatural, manmade items that careless visitors of the past have dropped.

Now, if you are trespassing on private land, then you deserve what you get, but I will never condemn someone for doing this thing on public land. Bottom line is: He found some great coins and the land is still there, none the worse for wear. The only victim here is an unjust, illogical law.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
tchaire said:
Bergie--

Usually love your posts and you've had some great finds, these included....But....

Can't believe your current post and the replies to it....If I had a quarter for everytime I've been denied permission because someone was detecting "without permission" at the spot previously, I'd be a millionaire...Or at least I'd have a couple of extra bucks.

People on this forum are usually pretty good about bringing it to the forefront if they feel someone is giving our hobby a bad name....Filling holes, returning class rings, gaining permission before detecting, etc. It's been eluded to a couple of times, but most of the replies seem to be encouraging you. I for one don't agree with what you're doing. Personally you may go to jail if you're caught...that's the risk you take. But the "negatives" you can leave on our hobby in general by your illegal behavior can be just as damaging.

Think it's time for everyone to reread the detectorist's "code of ethics". Just a thought.

T.

DITTO...

Its a simple case of civil disobedience... He knows he's violating the law and he's willing to accept the punishment if caught... There is no good reasn to close off PUBLIC land like this. To have land like this that is not accessable to those who pay the taxes to maintain it is wrong. And if its a matter of conservation, he is simply removing the unnatural, manmade items that careless visitors of the past have dropped.

Now, if you are trespassing on private land, then you deserve what you get, but I will never condemn someone for doing this thing on public land. Bottom line is: He found some great coins and the land is still there, none the worse for wear. The only victim here is an unjust, illogical law.

Don't agree with this one at all,,, the law, is the law. Although, I don't agree with a lot of stupid laws, I still can't condown someone for breaking it... As someone else stated above, I think it's things like this that has given the hobby a bad name...

Just my two cents,,,
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions