$5 DIY Screen Protector for E-Trac

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This do-it-yourself screen protector solution worked so well for me I wanted to share it. Basically, do this:

1. Pick up a universal screen protector at your local office supply store. I used one that was designed for the Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" and it was perfect (a 2-pack ran about $5). Make sure you get non-glare or matte (not crystal or gloss).

2. Download and print the PDF from my Dropbox account (link below). When you print, make sure the "Actual Size" option is selected so no scaling happens.

3. Overlay the paper template on the screen protector sheet and secure with tape, then trim around the template with scissors or X-acto knife.

4. Clean your E-Trac screen, then apply per the screen mfr. instructions.

I designed the template myself at my shop so there are no usage restrictions as long as it's for your private, non-commercial use. Here's the link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ypy1ftde8vf5p1/E-Trac_Screen_Template.pdf?dl=0

This worked perfectly for me so hopefully many more E-Trac users will find it useful. Good luck!

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the template. Do you happen to know the brand name of the screen protector you are using? I have tried using a cheap universal protector but it came off in a day.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zagg makes one for the Etrac and a few other machines, not expensive, and I like it.

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched for the Zagg and went to their site but couldn't find it. It may be discontinued.

OP
OP
CladMoonRising

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you happen to know the brand name of the screen protector you are using? I have tried using a cheap universal protector but it came off in a day.

I'm using a cheap universal, too. I tossed the packaging but it was whatever Staples had in stock. I've only been out a couple of times with it but it seems to be OK. I notice you can get Zagg or InstaShield on-line for a little more but I wanted to test with something cheap first. If this one comes off too soon, I'll probably spring for better material.

OP
OP
CladMoonRising

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zagg makes one for the Etrac and a few other machines, not expensive, and I like it.

Yeah, I couldn't find it anywhere which is why I made my own. My E-Trac is still in pretty good shape but I've seen some pretty bad screens out there so I wanted to catch it early.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I couldn't find it anywhere which is why I made my own. My E-Trac is still in pretty good shape but I've seen some pretty bad screens out there so I wanted to catch it early.

It has been a year, and if I remember right it was a sub tab, and was kinda hard to find, maybe enter it in their search bar?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been a year, and if I remember right it was a sub tab, and was kinda hard to find, maybe enter it in their search bar?

Must have discontinued them, they had them for a few Minelabs.......................I can not find a thing either

celtic fox

Nov 8, 2015
surrey uk
Detector(s) used
ctx3030 , deus lite , garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool well done and thanks for sharing

DL273

Greenie
Dec 29, 2015
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to the screen cover I use a clear plastic small bowl cover over my 3030 screen and buttons. It has an elastic band on the bottom and stays in place all day. I have no problem seeing the screen and it covers my control buttons also. Really keeps the area clean, especially when gloves are muddy or dirty. Doesn't offer much of any scratch protection but that's what the screen cover is for. They are cheap, I always carry a few with me, and when I get home the screen and controls are spotless.

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the template..Great timing as my Zagg InvisibleShield will be here tomorrow :icon_thumright:

Thanks again, much appreciated

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions