Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5 hours, 55 coins....one 11" quarter

Went to the soccer park this morning (it is close) before it got too hot. Dug 55 coins in 5 hours......10 quarters, 30 pennies, 6 nickels and 9 dimes. Thought I had a couple of silver dimes, but, it turned out they were just clean and shiny for some reason.....in spite of being about 5" down. I did dig a quarter target that pinpointed 11" deep and it showed up right at 11", maybe just a tad more. My Chinese knock-off "Lesche" digger was all the way in the hole when it appeared. I was hoping for something old, but, no chance......it was a 1982. I was pretty impressed with the depth since I was running in Disc, Sens 85 and the first half of iron notched out. The audio signal was a little less, but, the VDI was solid.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 5 hours, 55 coins....one 11" quarter

Skelly607 said:
55 in 5,,,,,,,SWEET!!!!!

Thanks, Skelly. I couldn't help but notice your tag. That Garrett of yours must be one sensitive machine if it can pick up a one dollar bill! ;D I've got a couple of fairly productive parks, one, a soccer complex, gets replenished every weekend. My total clad is just over $36 in two months, but, I have only hit two silver Rosies and two wheaties (oldest a 1944), however, I did find a pretty nice man's silver ring with a sapphire setting! I'm still after a Merc, Buffalo, IH or anything really old and still working on better places to hunt.

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II

Roland,
Nice finds. What coil were you using?
I'm still after a Merc, Buffalo, IH or anything really old and still working on better places to hunt.
Don't be afraid to tell your friends you detect. My friends have given me so many good leads that I have too many old sites to even hunt all of them right now. Old timers are a great source of info. and they often love to share stories and where things used to be. Also, you can ask people to see if you can detect their yards. I have had a 100% success rate in obtaining permission to hunt private property. I just ask people respectfully, assure them I will treat their place with respect and I remove all trash and share or give finds when appropriate.
Hope you can find some old places to hunt. If you do, you'll land your buff, IH or merc!
T-man

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pretty nice haul. I have a F-75 also and it does pretty well.. What kind of soil did you find that coin in that was 11" deep? I could see a coin of that age going deep in a sandy soil. I have dug coins of that age, that deep
where animals are at, they tend to push the coin deeper in the ground. One time I dug a Barber dime at 11" with
my ACE 250, but it was a pasture at one time, turned into a yard. You just never know in this hobby.

Looking forward to seeing what else you pop out of the ground with that Awesome F-75. Maybe we can see a picture or two of your finds sometime.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Turtleman,
I'm using the 12" DD that comes with the F75. I have the 11" and the little white 6 1/2" eliptical. Haven't tried the 11" yet, but, the little white coil, to me, is a joke. I tried it in a heavy trash area and found it harder to isolate good targets than with the big coil. It's probably me, not the coil. I am used to the large coil and have even got a nickel about 3" from a tab and a dime very close to some can slaw, plus, I know the big one has much better depth. I do have a lot of places lined up to search, just haven't been to them yet. Today I hit a friend's yard that lives in an old part of town and picked up my first Merc, yay!, a 1941 with crisp detail.

ringfinder,
The soil over that 11" quarter was 'hauled in' top soil for the first 4 or 5" and then sandy loam that is kept moist with a sprinkler system. I have posted a number of pics in the past, but, all of my finds have been rather insignificant compared to what I see on this forum. This ring is my best find to date: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,357292.0.html Today was not quantity, but, I did get a little quality. Along with the Merc mentioned above, I got three wheaties.....1941, 1942 and 1947 (I think). Everybody knows what wheaties look like, ;D

Great hunting to you both, thanks for looking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread