Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[email protected] heat finally let up but then the rains came! I got out for a few hours to a place I've pounded for 25 years...but I've only been there a couple of times with the SE. I hunted a grown up area that used to be a garden back in the 30's. It was the former playyard at an old grade school and I have hunted it before...but the grass is always 12" tall or more...just like today. I started out with the stock coil and that lasted about 10 minutes because of the usual falsing. I then switched to my 12.5 Excelerator coil and as usual the SE calmed down. This garden was loaded with coins but to my dismay I didn't find much silver. I founds tons of old wheaties from 1913 1914 1915 1917 1918 and more...then the indian heads started popping out. I've been hunting since 1979 and NEVER have I found 5 indian heads in one hunt. As usual they were corroded but the one 1893 is VERY nice although the scan doesn't show it well. I thought for sure the Barber dimes would start popping out...but it didn't happen. I only managed 2 mercs...tons of OLD wheaties...5 indian heads...a cool 5 cent pool hall token..and a Minneapolis Moline medallion. I then had a sweet hit and thought for sure I had me a Barber quarter...but from 10" out pops the bent solid sterling silver compact case top. The scan doesn't show it but it has ornate engravings in it and is marked sterling. About a foot away I get another solid quarter hit and again get excited. Out pops some kind of Military button or pin (I assume?)from almost 10" down. What you see is exactly what it is and says...U.S. so I assume its military??
About 10 feet away another solid quarter hit and out pops the flexible bottom sterling silver ring from 8" down. I searched the hole thoroughly and couldn't find a stone but I know it had one in it at one time.
I then fought the rain and sat in the car for a while. My first target after the rain was the nice sterling oval necklace pendant from 8" with what looks to be fake diamonds. Then the rain came again so I called it a night after about 4 1/2 hours. I will go back but it's a 1 1/2 hour drive so it will be a while. It was a great hunt even though I didn't find much silver. Heck I'm happy with one...but I know after all those indian heads that there's definately some old silver there.
Happy Hunting to everyone.

Attachments

• indians.jpg
    indians.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 648
  • indiangood.jpg
    indiangood.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 641
  • coins14.jpg
    coins14.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 691
  • trinkets.jpg
    trinkets.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 647
  • case.jpg
    case.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 677
Upvote 0
OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Strange but productive 5 hour hunt yields lots of goodies + indian heads, bling

Gibbsium said:
Nice digs, looks like you had a fun day :)

Thanks. I was stir crazy as it's been in the high 90's here for over a week. I was wanting to hunt "somethin' fierce".

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Strange but productive 5 hour hunt yields lots of goodies + indian heads, bling

Nice finds and yes the pin is military. It goes the class A uniforms or dress greens, at least it did when I wore them. I found one of those at the spot where I dug my only Indian head penny. Looks like you had pretty good day, to say the least. Congrats.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

willie d said:
Nice finds and yes the pin is military. It goes the class A uniforms or dress greens, at least it did when I wore them. I found one of those at the spot where I dug my only Indian head penny. Looks like you had pretty good day, to say the least. Congrats.

Thanks Wille d. Strange...you found one at a spot you found an indian head too.
That gtax 400 you have is a nice machine. I found lots of goodies with one of those a few years ago. I also had a gtax 1250 and loved the backlight feature it had. Oh well...I can keep all my machines!

huntedoutnoway

Aug 21, 2007

I've been hunting for 6 months now and have not found an indian head yet. I'm not sure if my ace 250 will get deep enough or not. I will keep trying though. Congratulations on your pile.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega

Nice tribe ya found there.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

:o Great bunch of finds for your day out hunting. I've always said a little rain didn't hurt anyone. hehe Yes that U.S. you found goes to the Army's dress uniforms, I know,I wore them for 24 years! The U.S. you found is worn by the enlisted members of the army. Officer's have just a plain U.S. without the backing to them. Common but nice finds anyway... HH and keep 'em coming

Desertfox

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Re: Strange but productive 5 hour hunt yields lots of goodies + indian heads, bl

Congratulations on pumping new treasure out of an old stomping ground!

Nice coin shootin'!

Ridley

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntedoutnoway said:
I've been hunting for 6 months now and have not found an indian head yet. I'm not sure if my ace 250 will get deep enough or not. I will keep trying though. Congratulations on your pile.
Keep on diggin'. That Ace 250 is a great machine and it will get pretty deep on old coins.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rebelLT said:
Nice tribe ya found there.
Thanks...I wish it could have been a tribe of Barber sisters...but it was neat to find more in one hunt than I have in the last month. I just wish they wouldn't come out so nasty...then to find the 1893 in at least XF really shocked me.

P

Pentico

Great finds!
We are still looking for the first Indian too.
Happy hunting.
ChrisP

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Wow! Now that is a great day! I have never had that good of a day. Don't worry about the wilver....it will come. In the meantime, enjoy finding those great indians and stuff.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nice job, Bryce!! Looks like a very good hunt to me. 5 Injuns....I get more excited digging those out of the ground than I do mercs or rosies.

I also found a US collar button the other day.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That's a great day, with some nice finds! Don't you hate those false quarter reads? At least they were still silver. Get back there and mine those Barbers.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
Wow, you had a haul of Injuns! How deep were they, sir?
Hey Kirk.
Each member of the tribe was about 7" deep and a couple were probably 8" or so. This was just a really weird hunt. I thought for sure some silver would come out...but I'll take the injuns. They're much more scarce for me than silver because they hit strange on all my detectors.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Super finds. I am hoping my Minelab will help me find stuff half as good as you! (okay as good as you)

I still have one of the US pins from my dress greens.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Nice job, Bryce!! Looks like a very good hunt to me. 5 Injuns....I get more excited digging those out of the ground than I do mercs or rosies.

I also found a US collar button the other day.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan.
I do too...I was just hoping for some Barbers. I think i have found almost as many Barber dimes this year as injuns though. Maybe not quite as many...but I bet it's close.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread