5 lb nugget found in Butte County

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I guess that makes this a.....wait for it...wait for it....a Butte Nugget! Ha!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so you're saying I have a chance?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is one gorgeous, gorgeous nugget!

Fantastic find.

Thanks for posting the links, and all the best,

Lanny

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites
sent me the story.

Of course if the finder won't say,

Whites User on the vid won't say ?

Definitely not found by a whites :tongue3:

maybe found with $20.00 chinese detector

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The video has just started a stampede of prospectors to an entire area that most likely did not give up the nugget. Why on earth would anyone direct anyone remotely close to the reported area, then mention public area.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The video has just started a stampede of prospectors to an entire area that most likely did not give up the nugget. Why on earth would anyone direct anyone remotely close to the reported area, then mention public area.

Good point!

All the best,

Lanny

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

well you know how often Lightening strikes Twice, in the same exact area :laughing7:

If I was detecting for Gold nuggets,
I'd want to know so I could avoid that area :thumbsup:

a stampede of any size has slim to no chance of matching or beating that find there

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whites
sent me the story.

Of course if the finder won't say,

Whites User on the vid won't say ?

Definitely not found by a whites :tongue3:

maybe found with $20.00 chinese detector

Not that it matters but I believe it was a White's. Listen to the video again, Digger Bob, who is a White's Dealer, wearing his White' s shirt, holding a White' s detector says -"as much as it pains me, I can't say who the manufacturer is."

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

He's just doing his friends on the retail gold side a "solid" as they say. Butte County is huge 1600+ square miles, two National Forests, and several watersheds. If he keeps quiet from this point on his secret will be safe. It's kinda cool in a way, Butte County is no stranger to big Nuggets- the Dogtown Nugget was 54lbs. Although a huge producer of gold during the gold rush era and afterward, Butte County never really got its place of notoriety in the gold rush tales and romance. ue In large part due to the areas founder John Bidwell who did a fine job of keeping it quiet and mostly to himself. Bidwell who worked for Sutter as manager of the Hock farm near the mouth of the Bear River (location where gold was discovered previous to Sutters Mill but never followed up on) was one of the three original folks that Marshall went to after his discovery of gold at Sutters Mill. Let just say Bidwell didn't hang around Sacto or head east to Coloma he went home and got to digging. By saying he found the Nugget on public land in Butte County by no means gives it away. He could have just as well said he found it in a well known river and given up as much info. Butte County is full of big rugged mountains, and steep canyons. Your average detectorist won't venture far. So as a resident it doesn't bother me a bit, let them have their fun it will be a short fun little ride. Heck maybe I can get myself on tv with my old VSAT, lol!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that it matters but I believe it was a White's. Listen to the video again, Digger Bob, who is a White's Dealer, wearing his White' s shirt, holding a White' s detector says -"as much as it pains me, I can't say who the manufacturer is."

it was a whites used for the video,
but the fact a Whites Person was not able to say Whites ?
only if not located with a whites imo :tongue3:

why wouldn't they take credit ?
they do for other finds.

if it were a Minelab that found it, Minelab would have done the Vid & said so also.

the fact all brands supposedly agreed , I think it was either a Chinese Detector
or an LRL

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I know the assumptions are gonna run wild all part of the mystery and allure!- let the fun begin. Maybe he's not allowed to say until the sponsor deal is worked out and they release his new "Signature Butte Nugget" model detector:thumbsup:, lol

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear manufacturer,
I found this with the best darn metal detector in the world. Could be it was one of yours? Just not use yet. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread