5 rolls of silver halves

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
So today my darling awesome fiance :love4: found me 5 rolls of silver half dollars. :headbang: :hello2: :notworthy: Here's the breakdown:

2 clad
21 Liberty
6 40% (kennedy)
2 Silver canadians
1 Barber???
1 Washington-Carver 1954 s ??? :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:
77 90% (kennedy franklin mix)

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of key dates for the Franklins, Liberties, and Kennedy's. I swear I had a link at one point, but my computer had issues a couple months ago.
I was also wondering if someone knew more info about the Carver Half as we can't seem to find much about it. I can't even find how many were minted each year, let alone key dates. We've only ever heard of this coin, but never seen one up close. It appears to be in good condition.

And also, what's that barber made of? It looks like it tarnished differently than most other silver coins. I don't recall coming across one of those before either. It's pretty beat up, but still neat.

My fiance loves me...I buy him a box of his favorite candy bars (skor), and he buys me silver coins...

Attachments

• halfdollar1.jpg
    halfdollar1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,778
  • halfdollar2.jpg
    halfdollar2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,821
  • halfdollar3.jpg
    halfdollar3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,837
  • halfdollar4.jpg
    halfdollar4.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,830
Upvote 0

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wow! Just thinking about all those silver halves boggles my brain; fabulous!

Below is a link to a site's history and details of your coin depicting George Washington Carver and Booker T. Washington, which it states is 90% silver and 10% copper. The site also describes an earlier 1946-1951 half dollar which had only the image of Booker T. Washinton. (If you want to see info from other sites also, use google image search and type in "George Washington Carver half dollar coin". I've found that using google image instead of google web usually results in more information.) The link I'm providing may not be clickable from t-net; if so, just open a new google window & type it in. Andi

www.earlycommemorativecoins.com/1951-1954-george-washington-carver-half-dollar

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on 5 lucky rolls of silver :icon_thumright: I wish I had some luck like that ;D

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's about $20, per $1,on the 90%. About $8 on the 40%. Nice Haul!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats...whats the story behind the rolls...were they picked up from a bank, coin dealer, found in the street, given to him, etc.

NJ

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you got the best Skor in that deal! Although, I think your fiance Skor'd pretty well when he found you. Do you have any sisters? ;D

Oct 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pcgs.com will help you with a list of all american coins and even give you a collector value. Great job on the find :thumbsup:

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
most of the chr's dream of a score like this your did fantastic
and just to make sure you continue doing this good i will impart my secret on marriage to you
this is the only advice that is true in all marriages (i have been married for 27 years and still on our honeymoon)
so no matter what others tell you to do in your up coming marriage remember not everything works every time except this one

in marriage one good turn gets most of the blankets

good luck
hope you have a great life together

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fmerg said:
in marriage one good turn gets most of the blankets

I've only been married for 5 years and I have this down to a science...I hate not having covers... :icon_thumright:

NJ

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I thought that the secret was "a kiss is valid proof that 2 heads are better than one", as well as my personal motto as translated from latin: Yes, dear. and my husband's oath: Not only am I wrong, but you are right. Well, it's worked since 1973 and we've had 10 great years of marriage. Ok, if you don't understand that one, fine, 38 great years.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
You may do much better selling the commemorative on eBay. The rest, wellllllll, I would probably horde them myself but you can probably just sell them for the bullion/scrap value and do alright.

OP
OP
LadyDragonWolf

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
Hola again
sorry for delay, my orders got a bit backed up over the last couple days and I lost track of... my mind lol

Fiance talks to this guy at the bank all the time when he has to stop in for work.
The guy just happened to have all these rolls and held on to them for us.

I pretty much refuse to sell liberties for melt, but will likely be selling the franklins and kennedies.
The carver half is neat so I'll probably hang on to it. Thanks to one of the links you guys gave me, I found out there were only 42,000 of these minted.

I also have a little wooden box we've been throwing random silver coins into... the silver value in that alone is 250. But there's mercury dimes that I won't sell, and a couple more liberties in there too.

Fiance (aka Chad) brings me random silver coins periodically, and he always has this look on his face like when a dog is all proud of bringing you a dead bird. It's awesome. :thumbsup:

Sadly there aren't many places to try coin roll hunting here. Asked at Bank of America and they said that the tellers take all the silver and rest is sent away, and they only get coin rolls if you order them, but those rolls come directly from the mint or something. It's been too cold to go metal detecting, so there's not much to do as far as treasure hunting goes, except wait patiently for fiance to bring me another silver "dead bird" lol.

And no, I don't really have any siblings... Which is a good thing because if there were more of me the world would be at my command... Muahahahahaha :angel12:

And while one good turn may get most of the blankets, one cold tushy will get most of the bed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread