5 " round 4x6 DD 5.5x9.5 DD What to choose?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to get a DD coil for my coinmaster GT as my parks are full of junk. The 9" concentric has been good, but I think I want to try a DD to see I that help pick more good targes. My choice from whites is the 4x6 DD (only coil other than the stock form white's) The aftermarket NEL Coils have several including a 5" round, 5.5x9.5 DD and they go up in size from there (8.5x12.5).

So which would be best for general use in trashy area. Seems like the 5" round would take eons to cover any area (which is to be expected) So that one is probably out. The 4x6 would seem to be almost as bad and not as deep as the 5. Leaving me with the 5.5x9.5. Does that sound logical? Does the longer length present some problem that is lessened by the shorter coils? From what you guys told me in the Garret thread, the width is what determines the dept so 4 or 5.5 not a lot of difference there.
I understand you need specific tool for a job and maybe 2 coils will not be enough, however I was hoping for something to get a bit more separation but maintain the depth of the 9".

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 2 Whites 4X6 coils. One for a Prizm 6T and one for the MXT, M6 etc. series. I also have the 5.3 which is more accurately a 6" coil for the MXT. The differences in these coils as I see it is the 4X6 covers a small enough area that one could say it's surgical. Great coil for really heavy trash, but not so great for ground coverage or deeper targets although the depth is good for a coil that small. Also good for getting close to fences, playground equipment etc. I usually mentally mark of a small area in heavy trash and try to hunt it very thoroughly before moving on. The 6" coil on the MXT covers enough more area and gives enough more depth to be used as a general coil in parks, fairgrounds etc. It also is pretty decent at working through trash, but not quite as good as the little 4X6. So for areas with not quite so heavy trash it is a very good choice, but if you are serious and patient enough to work through the really trashy areas, the little guy is nice to have. I'm not sure I would have purchased both coils on my own, but they came with both detectors in a used package. That said, if I were buying one at new price, I'd probably go with the 6" as it would get more use, overall. In the case of your Coinmaster you might consider the 8" Prism coil which performs much like a 6". For an example that may be helpful, when I first tried my MXT I was in a very trashy park with the 9.5" coil. There was so much trash that my headphones sounded like a machine gun was going off as I swung over all the tabs and junk. I went back to my car with the idea of putting on the 6" and discovered I had not brought it along, but the 4X6 was there so I put that on. The difference was truly like night and day. I was able to swing through all that trash and ended up retrieving a fair number of good targets.
The 6" might have done nearly as well, but I fell in love with the little 4X6 after that experience.
luvsdux

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lovsdux! Will keep pondering this over the winter.

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe detech makes a few sef butterfly coils that are compatible with the gt. Kellyco doesn't carry them, though you can probably buy them direct or some where else.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first thing I did when I went back to the 6T (basically the same at the GT) was to order the 4X6 DD coil and an extra lower rod. I have used and been proficient with about every detector out there including the Etrac, Deus, DFX, etc. and I liked the 6T as well or better than all of them. IMHO is is way underated. The 4x6 DD is the best trash coil that I have used and I found a couple of Barbers in my local park that has been pounded by other detectors for years. Both the coins were in a high trash area 3-5 inches deep and for larger coils would have been masked. You will be pleasantly surprised in the depth that you get out of the 4X6. Detech doesn't make SEF coils for the Coinmaster but like you, I have been looking at the NEL DD coils. I am going to get both the Sharpshooter and the Hunter coils for my 6T when I can afford it. I should be set for any land hunting situations that come my way. I hope you enjoy using the GT as much as I love my 6T !!!

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I did when I went back to the 6T (basically the same at the GT) was to order the 4X6 DD coil and an extra lower rod. I have used and been proficient with about every detector out there including the Etrac, Deus, DFX, etc. and I liked the 6T as well or better than all of them. IMHO is is way underated. The 4x6 DD is the best trash coil that I have used and I found a couple of Barbers in my local park that has been pounded by other detectors for years. Both the coins were in a high trash area 3-5 inches deep and for larger coils would have been masked. You will be pleasantly surprised in the depth that you get out of the 4X6. Detech doesn't make SEF coils for the Coinmaster but like you, I have been looking at the NEL DD coils. I am going to get both the Sharpshooter and the Hunter coils for my 6T when I can afford it. I should be set for any land hunting situations that come my way. I hope you enjoy using the GT as much as I love my 6T !!!
Thanks for in info! I am still torn between the 4x6 and the NEL 5x9. I guess that in a high trash area the extra 3 inches in length of the NEL coil field could miss stuff due some adjacent junk in that 9" detection path?

It is also really nice to hear your opinion on this machine compared to the others.. I keep wondering if I should have gotten something else as the others are sooo popular.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread