5 Silver, 9 Wheats ~ "950" Ring ~ Platinum?? ~ 30 For 30!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
5 Silver, 9 Wheats ~ "950" Ring ~ Platinum?? ~ 30 For 30!!

Hello My Friends,

I couldn't be more please with my detecting day this morning. I had to go back to the "silver park" that's producing for me. I honestly didn't know if I would find any silver coins today, but I was hoping I could eek out just one. I couldn't believe on my first two digs of the day I recovered a lawnmower chopped Rosie and then a beautiful '48S Washington just minutes later. After about an hour or so, I decided to try a different spot just minutes away. I was swinging my coil and saw three shiny coins laying in the grass. I knew one was a quarter and the other two were dimes. I couldn't believe that one of the dimes was a '63 Rosie. Pure luck, but that's the way it has been going for me with the silver...some days, it seems to be finding me! :laughing7: As I was detecting a small hillside, I could hear deeper coin targets mixed in with the trash. Five or six of the signals were 8-9" wheaties, and 1 was another silver coin, a '50 Rosie. As I was approaching a newly planted tree, I received a shallow quarter signal. Since I never pass up a quarter signal I decided to probe for the quarter, and was completely surprised when a big silver colored ring with a purple stone came out of the ground. The stamp in the inside says "950". That's a first for me...What do you all think? Maybe Platinum?? when I see numbers stamped on a piece of silver jewelry, I usually see .925. ??? It also looks very shiny.

Shortly after digging the ring, I decided to call it a day. It was certainly a day of surprises for me. And it was also my 30th consecutive turf hunt with my SE Pro Coil that I have dug at least 1 silver coin. Woooo Hooo! :occasion18: :occasion14: It has been an amazing 3 months with my SE Pro Coil. When will this silver magnet coil strike out? Not even I know that! :clock:

Thanks for looking!!
Good luck to everyone!
Keep The Passion High!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3097_sm.jpg
    IMG_3097_sm.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 729
  • Ring_950_100608.jpg
    Ring_950_100608.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 714
Upvote 0

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Re: 5 Silver, 9 Wheats ~ "950" Ring ~ 30 For 30!! 30 For 30!!

That's a beautiful Washington, Dan! Congrats on the ring and the great coins!!! Keep the streak alive!

Captn Dan's Scorecard

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 .......

Congrats Captn!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

No Doubt In My Military Mind Dan :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The ring is something you would see from Harry Potter :wink: I can Smell 31 from here already.Big Congrat's to Ya!!!!!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

That is GREAT, Cap!

I even like the 9 cent piece!

;D
rmptr

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy smokes Dan!!! :o :o :o That looks like a monster ring. :thumbsup: Platinum?
You are the Silver King of the West Coast. :icon_king:
Another great day indeed. :wink:
-Doug-

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Dan,

Holy crap, when will you ever fail? :D LMAO I don't think you EVER will, buddy. I have total faith in your abilities to not put you at that negative level in detecting. You are truly a detecting machine with a lean, mean, and keen ear! :D

If your passion wasn't high, you would have moped around and found pulltabs, but it was high and look what happened!

SoCal Bud, keep sweeping in that turf and you will yank the wilvers out!

Kirk :thumbsup:

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -

Congrats on the silver and the wheats.I wouldn't give that ring to my wife unless you want to get rid of her.HA HA Have a Good one and Good luck on your next hunt. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on the 30 4 30 Capt, nice haul of silver :icon_thumleft: The silver ring is huge, sweet but odd looking with what looks like a little hat on it ;D WTG!
Glenn

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go Dan. The streak remains intact :thumbsup:
Man that ring is gorgeous..and looks heavy. The pro coil is a weapon my friend :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My silver coin collection is really starting to dwindle. What Dan doesn't know is that every night I sneak into his park and seed the lawn with 10 inch deep silver coins. But gosh dang it.....he keeps finding them. Next week when my silver runs out I'll start planting large coppers Dan. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn SE!

You are a silver finding dirt devil! If its there your going to pull it out. Congrats on all the great finds! I am pretty sure that is a PLATINUM RING though never seen a silver ring hallmarked 950 just 925 and 99%. Platinums are usually marked 950 and up, It is also pretty shiny to be silver and in the dirt. Again congrats on the silver and your record!!!!

CRACKBADGER

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

CRACKBADGER said:
Captn SE!

You are a silver finding dirt devil! If its there your going to pull it out. Congrats on all the great finds! I am pretty sure that is a PLATINUM RING though never seen a silver ring hallmarked 950 just 925 and 99%. Platinums are usually marked 950 and up, It is also pretty shiny to be silver and in the dirt. Again congrats on the silver and your record!!!!

CRACKBADGER

Hey, CrackBadger!! So you really think the ring is platinum? The ring weighs 6.7 grams. You're right about the shine...it's very shiny. I'm going to have to get it check out.

Thanks for your response! Good luck in FL. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used

That's a beautiful Washington, Dan! Congrats on the ring and the great coins!!! Keep the streak alive!

Captn Dan's Scorecard

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 .......

Congrats Captn!!!

Thanks, KimsDad! Your scorecard is accurate! I thought I might get skunked today, but after the first 20 minutes, I had a silver. We'll see what happens on Wed.

No Doubt In My Military Mind Dan thumbsup thumbsup The ring is something you would see from Harry Potter Wink I can Smell 31 from here already.Big Congrat's to Ya!!

Thanks, Civil!! A Harry Potter ring? ;D ;D I'm going to check to see if it's platinum.

That is GREAT, Cap!

I even like the 9 cent piece!

Grin
rmptr

Thanks, rmptr! Just one more and I would of had a dime!

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG Dan!! :thumbsup:
Silver coins seem to be your lot in the detecting world. That ring just might be Platinum.....it sure is shiny and the 950 mark is unusual. :icon_scratch:
Hope you have continued success in your "silver coins per hunt" run.
Keep all of us posted!! Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

WAAAAHOOOO, Dan the Real Good Datecting Man, :notworthy:

Your wilver streak is going and going and going, buddy. 31 for 31 is up to the plate right now, my good friend. :icon_salut: I know for a fact that you and your buddies will continue to yank out the wilvers in true professional fashion! :wav:

Keep on searching for the wilvers with the EXTREME passion, my good friend from beautiful SoCal!!!! :occasion14:

Kyle

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ive never seen silver marked 950. Could be either palladium or platinum. Both worth more than silver.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

Hi Dan!

Wow ~ that silver ring is very cool! Marked 950? That's another one that's marked different than the usual 925 & STERLING!! I recall you had one a few weeks ago marked SILVER.

CONGRAT'S MAN!!!

Neil

8^)

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Re: 5 Silver, 9 Wheats ~ "950" Ring ~ Platinum?? ~ 30 For 30!!

Holy smokes Dan!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked That looks like a monster ring. thumbsup Platinum?
You are the Silver King of the West Coast. icon_king
Another great day indeed. Wink
-Doug-

Thanks, Doug. Yeah, it's a big ring. 7 grams. Maybe platinum.

Dan,

Holy crap, when will you ever fail? Cheesy LMAO I don't think you EVER will, buddy. I have total faith in your abilities to not put you at that negative level in detecting. You are truly a detecting machine with a lean, mean, and keen ear! Cheesy

If your passion wasn't high, you would have moped around and found pulltabs, but it was high and look what happened!

SoCal Bud, keep sweeping in that turf and you will yank the wilvers out!

Kirk

Thanks, Kirk! I know I'll get skunked one day, but I just can't say when. I know I have good ears...well, at least better than my girlfriend's. I'm always telling here that her cell phone is ringing in her purse, and she doesn't even know it. ;D ;D Good luck this weekend, my friend from PA!

Congrats on the silver and the wheats.I wouldn't give that ring to my wife unless you want to get rid of her.HA HA Have a Good one and Good luck on your next hunt.

Thanks, Gary!! My girlfriend put the ring on, and she immediately took it off and gave it back to me.....for her, it's diamonds or nothing at all.

Congrats on the 30 4 30 Capt, nice haul of silver icon_thumleft The silver ring is huge, sweet but odd looking with what looks like a little hat on it Grin WTG!
Glenn

Thanks, Glenn. Yeah, it's quit an intriguing ring. I'm still trying to figure out the metal makeup. Good luck to you!!

Way to go Dan. The streak remains intact thumbsup
Man that ring is gorgeous..and looks heavy. The pro coil is a weapon my friend

Thanks, Bryce!! I don't know about gorgeous, but I will definitely take it! May be platinum. The coil has not let me down since I purchased it back in June.

WTG

Keep that silver flowing

Thanks, Bob!!

My silver coin collection is really starting to dwindle. What Dan doesn't know is that every night I sneak into his park and seed the lawn with 10 inch deep silver coins. But gosh dang it.....he keeps finding them. Next week when my silver runs out I'll start planting large coppers Dan

Thanks, Rob. How come I don't see any plugs at the park except mine? ;D ;D These babies were dropped long ago, my friend. Good luck out there!! Let's see some Colonials!!

WTG Dan!! thumbsup
Silver coins seem to be your lot in the detecting world. That ring just might be Platinum.....it sure is shiny and the 950 mark is unusual. icon_scratch
Hope you have continued success in your "silver coins per hunt" run.
Keep all of us posted!! Gold Nuggets

Thanks, Gold Nuggets. I'll keep you posted. Probably try for #31 on Wed. I hope the ring is Plat. I've never found one before.

WAAAAHOOOO, Dan the Real Good Datecting Man, notworthy

Your wilver streak is going and going and going, buddy. 31 for 31 is up to the plate right now, my good friend. icon_salut I know for a fact that you and your buddies will continue to yank out the wilvers in true professional fashion! wav

Keep on searching for the wilvers with the EXTREME passion, my good friend from beautiful SoCal!!!! occasion14

Kyle

Thanks, Kyle!! It's still going, buddy!! I'm going to try and extend it on Wed. I will continue to detect with extreme passion, just as you do.
Good luck on the weekend, my friend from PA!!

Ive never seen silver marked 950. Could be either palladium or platinum. Both worth more than silver.

Thanks, sirLostAlot!! I've never seen 950 silver either. I'm hoping!!

Hi Dan!

Wow ~ that silver ring is very cool! Marked 950? That's another one that's marked different than the usual 925 & STERLING!! I recall you had one a few weeks ago marked SILVER.

CONGRAT'S MAN!!!

Neil

Thanks, Neil. It may not be a silver ring, buddy!! I'm hoping for plat. We'll see! You've been killing it lately. Good luck on your next hunt!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California

This is a tough one Dan.. The Palladium tends to grey out more than platinum. It doesn't really oxidize or tarnish, but it generally will appear less shiny than platinum. It certainly can be repolished readily. However, I can't find specific information on the effects of earth weatering on palladium or platinum.
Palladium is a noble precious metal from the platinum group of elemental metals. It is permanently white and bright like platinum, it resists oxidation and tarnishing like platinum and gold, and has been used in jewelry since the 1930's. Most palladium rings are 95% pure palladium with a 5% alloy of ruthenium and other metals, also known as 950 palladium. 950 palladium has approximately the same density (specific gravity) as 14 karat white gold and is about half as heavy as platinum for the same volume of metal. Benefits of Using New 950 Palladium Alloys for Jewelry. The following points detail some of the benefits (aside from the price point) of using new 950 palladium alloys as compared to white gold or platinum: The specific gravity of palladium is similar to white gold and almost half of platinum. Palladium is naturally white and does not require repeated rhodium plating to keep the finished piece white during normal wear. Palladium requires fewer progressive finishing steps than platinum, but more than white gold. Palladium, like platinum is non-allergenic. Palladium has little or no memory, an advantage for gemstone setting and hand forming and fabrication. Palladium wears similarly to platinum and will keep its finish longer than white gold. anyway, just some fun info.
btw. we use Palladium all the time in dentistry under the crowns!

WireBender (marcus)

sirlostalot said:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread