5 silvers this week with 12 rings, eagle buttons, lots of tokens from the scout camp and more

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was quite a week. With the kids off for Easter break I spent extra time at the schools and got lucky.
DAY 1
I went back to the scout camp and tried a different sort of location. They have 8 houses they use for the venture crews (coed units ages 14 to 21). They are normal 2 story houses set up on the inside with bunk beds to accommodate a decent sized group. They have a fire pit in the back and a small grass front and back yard. I figured it was worth a shot and as always I was hoping for something good.

I spent 6.5 hours covering the yards of 5 of the hours with the CZ21 and found more than I expected. Altogether 120 coins with a face value of $8.56, 1 camp tent peg, a pocket knife ( STAG knife made in Ireland), a dragon pendant, a whistle, 7 bent up keys and pieces of keys, a Webelos slide, a wheelbarrow monopoly game piece, a round ball (probably modern from the look of it), a 1950 wheatie, 2 sinkers, 38 tokens, a whatzit on the surface, a few tabs and pieces of construction aluminum from the siding and trim.

DSCN3117.jpeg

37 of the tokens have the same design, but are of 2 different sizes. They have a sunburst on the back and a shield on the front. There is one oddball with a different design, dollar sign on the front and a bullseye on the back.

DSCN3129.jpeg

The whatzit has a logo on the end I’m not familiar with. It looks like a J with lines coming off of it. When you press the button on the bottom it opens up to what looks like 3 gears. It has vents on both sides and on the back is a flip up handle the rotates between plus and minus. Anybody have a clue?

DSCN3119.jpeg

DSCN3127.jpeg

DSCN3131.jpeg

DAY 2
I got back to the elementary school and continued a grid on the upper playground. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and had a better day than expected. I found 40 coins with a face value of $2.20, a huge harmonica reed, a clock gear, 5 wheaties, a decorative tip off of something that looks like it is pewter, 2 old military buttons, 4 rings, a buffalo nickel, a butterfly, a horse, an old plated fork folded in half, a lead bullet, 3 blank coin like disks, a curved whatzit, a plane and toy car, some big iron, can slaw, tabs and foil.

DSCN3132.jpeg

The big iron pieces are a farm gate type hinge part. This is the part driven into the post or door frame to hang the hinge on. The second piece is part of an iron wood stove. The next is a broken cobbler’s shoe form that slipped onto a stand while making shoes. The last big piece is the hammer head part of a construction hatchet. Nothing fantastic, but interesting all the same.

IMG_8307.jpeg

IMG_8308.jpeg

The buttons are both general service buttons of the 1875 to 1902 style. One is in magnificent shape and the other is smashed. Both have a WATERBURY BUTTON CO backmark. The ring is a very tiny thin band with some diamond cut design on the top. It is marked STERLING with what looks like an S makers mark. The buffalo nickel is the first I have found for a while. Part of the date looks visible, but no numbers are recognizable, nothing new there.

DSCN3135.jpeg

DSCN3136.jpeg

The harmonica reed is really different. All the ones I have found in the past have been all brass. This one looks like the frame is pewter and is deteriorating. The brass reeds are attached to the frame with brass pins. It is the biggest one I have ever seen it is almost 8 inches long.

DSCN3137.jpeg

I have 3 mystery disks. I thought at first they were old badly worn nickels, but 2 of them are slightly larger than a nickel. They were all found in about a 20 foot square area. They are smooth and are not nickel. I cleaned off the edge of one and it looks like brass. I’m not sure if someone was trying to make nickel slugs or if they had some other purpose. Still a mystery.

DSCN3138.jpeg

This curved piece is brass and you can see a little bit of chrome plating on part of it. It has a seem on the curved outer side and is open on both ends. No idea what this one is for either.

DSCN3134.jpeg

A lot of interesting stuff from the school on this trip. Made for extra fun in the sun.

DAY 3
Back to the middle school while the kids are on break. Spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 extending the grid on the sports field. Altogether I found 98 coins with a face value of $9.19, part of a pair of glasses, a broken necklace, 3 cheapie rings, a round ball, a vaping device, a dollar coin, 2 wheaties (1948 and 1956), a lock and key charm, a butterfly earring, a screw in cleat, a bullet pendant, aluminum fence wire ties, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, tabs, a cast iron window weight and lots of pencil ends.

DSCN3139.jpeg

The cartridge was made into a pendant with a ferrous eye that has rusted badly. The powder and primer are gone. The round ball is a slightly mashed .69 caliber which leads me to believe it is civil war era.

DSCN3141.jpeg

The long cast iron bar with an eye in the end is a window weight also known as a sash weight. The one on the top is the one I found on this hunt and it is longer and heavier than the normal weight. It is 23.5 inches long. The one on the bottom is from a past hunt and is the normal 16.5 inches long. I have found some that are smaller but the majority of the ones I have found (some detecting, but most in remodeling work on older homes in the area) are the 16 inch size. The diagram shows how they were used. NOTE: It was raining when I finished the hunt and I took the picture while the big weight was still wet. That explains why the 2 are different colors.

IMG_8316.jpeg

IMG_2323.jpeg

DAY 4
I went back to the middle school for another hunt while the kids are off. I finished up the last hunt doing a little wandering and found a decent number of coins in a section adjoining a section I gridded a while ago. So this time I continued that grid hoping for some goodies and I was not disappointed.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 117 coins with a face value of $7.00, a stainless spoon bowl, a stainless shoulder pad clip, 5 rings and other pieces of jewelry, a Canadian nickel, a dollar coin, a pair of keys found together, a modern button, a DREAM MACHINE token, a screw in cleat, can slaw, aluminum tie wire for a fence, aluminum bottle caps, a fair number of tabs and a bunch of pencil ends.

DSCN3143.jpeg

In my first pass I found 6 pennies, a tab and 3 rings one right after the other with no other finds in between. The third ring was silver and it was right up against the edge of the section I had gridded before. If I had kept going that day I would have found it then. The important thing is I did find it.

The pair of keys are car keys. They are from the days when you had a separate key for the ignition and the trunk. So these were found in the same hole and are for the same car.

DSCN3144.jpeg

2 of the rings are silver, one marked 925 THAILAND and the other marked STERLING, both with makers marks. The cross is ornate and inlaid with what looks like turquoise. The 3 little hearts on chains are silver. I’m not sure if they are from a bracelet or earring.

DSCN3145.jpeg

DSCN3146.jpeg

The wolf ring is stainless steel. Nothing valuable, but I still think it is neat. It was quite a surprise when I opened the plug and saw that wolf looking up at me.

DSCN3147.jpeg

With 4 silvers, a dollar coin and other jewelry this is the best day I have had for long time.

So end another week. This was one you hope for, lots of gas money, silvers, interesting old stuff and fun in the great outdoors. Thanks for looking, stay safe, goose luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• DSCN3133.jpeg
    DSCN3133.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3142.jpeg
    DSCN3142.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Upvote 15
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. All your comments and likes are appreciated. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin .

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm happy you were able to get out and find some good things in the ground. Just think, you rescued those items from a lonely decaying existence.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good hunt you had there. I especially wanted to see your Eagle button. For me, after all these years, I FINALLY found one of my own, I've found General Service buttons, but this is a small eagle button with the letter I in the shield. "Infantry" Still had some gilt on it. Never something I thought I would ever come across in SW Oregon. You would think East Coast instead. You had one busy hunt going on there TNT, nice.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your whats it is a modern torch lighter.
Thanks. I thought it might be a lighter, but couldn’t find one like it and couldn’t figure out how the set up worked. This one appears to be from jetline.
Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was quite a week. With the kids off for Easter break I spent extra time at the schools and got lucky.
DAY 1
I went back to the scout camp and tried a different sort of location. They have 8 houses they use for the venture crews (coed units ages 14 to 21). They are normal 2 story houses set up on the inside with bunk beds to accommodate a decent sized group. They have a fire pit in the back and a small grass front and back yard. I figured it was worth a shot and as always I was hoping for something good.

I spent 6.5 hours covering the yards of 5 of the hours with the CZ21 and found more than I expected. Altogether 120 coins with a face value of $8.56, 1 camp tent peg, a pocket knife ( STAG knife made in Ireland), a dragon pendant, a whistle, 7 bent up keys and pieces of keys, a Webelos slide, a wheelbarrow monopoly game piece, a round ball (probably modern from the look of it), a 1950 wheatie, 2 sinkers, 38 tokens, a whatzit on the surface, a few tabs and pieces of construction aluminum from the siding and trim.

View attachment 2140934

37 of the tokens have the same design, but are of 2 different sizes. They have a sunburst on the back and a shield on the front. There is one oddball with a different design, dollar sign on the front and a bullseye on the back.

View attachment 2140940

The whatzit has a logo on the end I’m not familiar with. It looks like a J with lines coming off of it. When you press the button on the bottom it opens up to what looks like 3 gears. It has vents on both sides and on the back is a flip up handle the rotates between plus and minus. Anybody have a clue?

View attachment 2140935

View attachment 2140936

View attachment 2140939

DAY 2
I got back to the elementary school and continued a grid on the upper playground. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and had a better day than expected. I found 40 coins with a face value of $2.20, a huge harmonica reed, a clock gear, 5 wheaties, a decorative tip off of something that looks like it is pewter, 2 old military buttons, 4 rings, a buffalo nickel, a butterfly, a horse, an old plated fork folded in half, a lead bullet, 3 blank coin like disks, a curved whatzit, a plane and toy car, some big iron, can slaw, tabs and foil.

View attachment 2140941

The big iron pieces are a farm gate type hinge part. This is the part driven into the post or door frame to hang the hinge on. The second piece is part of an iron wood stove. The next is a broken cobbler’s shoe form that slipped onto a stand while making shoes. The last big piece is the hammer head part of a construction hatchet. Nothing fantastic, but interesting all the same.

View attachment 2140937

View attachment 2140938

The buttons are both general service buttons of the 1875 to 1902 style. One is in magnificent shape and the other is smashed. Both have a WATERBURY BUTTON CO backmark. The ring is a very tiny thin band with some diamond cut design on the top. It is marked STERLING with what looks like an S makers mark. The buffalo nickel is the first I have found for a while. Part of the date looks visible, but no numbers are recognizable, nothing new there.

View attachment 2140944

View attachment 2140945

The harmonica reed is really different. All the ones I have found in the past have been all brass. This one looks like the frame is pewter and is deteriorating. The brass reeds are attached to the frame with brass pins. It is the biggest one I have ever seen it is almost 8 inches long.

View attachment 2140946

I have 3 mystery disks. I thought at first they were old badly worn nickels, but 2 of them are slightly larger than a nickel. They were all found in about a 20 foot square area. They are smooth and are not nickel. I cleaned off the edge of one and it looks like brass. I’m not sure if someone was trying to make nickel slugs or if they had some other purpose. Still a mystery.

View attachment 2140947

This curved piece is brass and you can see a little bit of chrome plating on part of it. It has a seem on the curved outer side and is open on both ends. No idea what this one is for either.

View attachment 2140943

A lot of interesting stuff from the school on this trip. Made for extra fun in the sun.

DAY 3
Back to the middle school while the kids are on break. Spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 extending the grid on the sports field. Altogether I found 98 coins with a face value of $9.19, part of a pair of glasses, a broken necklace, 3 cheapie rings, a round ball, a vaping device, a dollar coin, 2 wheaties (1948 and 1956), a lock and key charm, a butterfly earring, a screw in cleat, a bullet pendant, aluminum fence wire ties, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, tabs, a cast iron window weight and lots of pencil ends.

View attachment 2140948

The cartridge was made into a pendant with a ferrous eye that has rusted badly. The powder and primer are gone. The round ball is a slightly mashed .69 caliber which leads me to believe it is civil war era.

View attachment 2140949

The long cast iron bar with an eye in the end is a window weight also known as a sash weight. The one on the top is the one I found on this hunt and it is longer and heavier than the normal weight. It is 23.5 inches long. The one on the bottom is from a past hunt and is the normal 16.5 inches long. I have found some that are smaller but the majority of the ones I have found (some detecting, but most in remodeling work on older homes in the area) are the 16 inch size. The diagram shows how they were used. NOTE: It was raining when I finished the hunt and I took the picture while the big weight was still wet. That explains why the 2 are different colors.

View attachment 2140951

View attachment 2140952

DAY 4
I went back to the middle school for another hunt while the kids are off. I finished up the last hunt doing a little wandering and found a decent number of coins in a section adjoining a section I gridded a while ago. So this time I continued that grid hoping for some goodies and I was not disappointed.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 117 coins with a face value of $7.00, a stainless spoon bowl, a stainless shoulder pad clip, 5 rings and other pieces of jewelry, a Canadian nickel, a dollar coin, a pair of keys found together, a modern button, a DREAM MACHINE token, a screw in cleat, can slaw, aluminum tie wire for a fence, aluminum bottle caps, a fair number of tabs and a bunch of pencil ends.

View attachment 2140953

In my first pass I found 6 pennies, a tab and 3 rings one right after the other with no other finds in between. The third ring was silver and it was right up against the edge of the section I had gridded before. If I had kept going that day I would have found it then. The important thing is I did find it.

The pair of keys are car keys. They are from the days when you had a separate key for the ignition and the trunk. So these were found in the same hole and are for the same car.

View attachment 2140954

2 of the rings are silver, one marked 925 THAILAND and the other marked STERLING, both with makers marks. The cross is ornate and inlaid with what looks like turquoise. The 3 little hearts on chains are silver. I’m not sure if they are from a bracelet or earring.

View attachment 2140933

View attachment 2140955

The wolf ring is stainless steel. Nothing valuable, but I still think it is neat. It was quite a surprise when I opened the plug and saw that wolf looking up at me.

View attachment 2140956

With 4 silvers, a dollar coin and other jewelry this is the best day I have had for long time.

So end another week. This was one you hope for, lots of gas money, silvers, interesting old stuff and fun in the great outdoors. Thanks for looking, stay safe, goose luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread