Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thurm.....What is the deal on these Ikes? I have been collecting them too just because other people are but not sure why...lol. Will they be of any value in the future?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lejeuene said:
Thurm.....What is the deal on these Ikes? I have been collecting them too just because other people are but not sure why...lol. Will they be of any value in the future?
Lj, I always ask for the big dollars (and pull an Ike out of my pocket to show) I do not really want any ikes but i offer to buy all they have. Because I WANT TO GET A MORGAN just like you got. ;D

I am just hoping an older dollar gets mixed in with the clad. So far no luck.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Thurm, I ask for them also to try and get either a Morgan, Peace or silver Ike. Has not happened yet, but maybe sometime. If I get enough in real nice condition I will try put them out on ebay and see what they would do. I figure if I put a starting price of face value I can't lose since they will have to pay postage. All I will be out is my time to get them sent off.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
L J, et al.

With the advent of the presidential dollar coin series, the Ikes are (now) one more iteration of dollar coin away from the current version. Sandwiched in between, of course, are the Susan B. Anthonys and the Sacagaweas.

They are also the last large dollar coin...and probably will be.

While I haven't tried to sell any, my thought is they should comand some premium as more time goes by; and I don't mind holding on to them until than.

As some of my esteemed colleagues have already noted, you may occasionally get a Morgan, Peace, or silver Ike; just by asking for any "large dollar coins".

Additionally, the '73 coin, like the one I picked up yesterday (for face) is the toughest (and most valuable) clad Ike in the set; as they were only minted for sets and such a low volume were ever made.

Also, see an earlier thread on the subject:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,71735.0.html

I hope this helps.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Try putting the IKEs on Craigslist. I get a 20-25% premium on lots of 100. A good key word to use is poker chips

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
thurmownator said:
L J, et al.

With the advent of the presidential dollar coin series, the Ikes are (now) one more iteration of dollar coin away from the current version. Sandwiched in between, of course, are the Susan B. Anthonys and the Sacagaweas.

They are also the last large dollar coin...and probably will be.

While I haven't tried to sell any, my thought is they should comand some premium as more time goes by; and I don't mind holding on to them until than.

As some of my esteemed colleagues have already noted, you may occasionally get a Morgan, Peace, or silver Ike; just by asking for any "large dollar coins".

Additionally, the '73 coin, like the one I picked up yesterday (for face) is the toughest (and most valuable) clad Ike in the set; as they were only minted for sets and such a low volume were ever made.

Also, see an earlier thread on the subject:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,71735.0.html

I hope this helps.

Patrick Earl Houston

Feb 21, 2007
Cypress Garden Projects, North Memphis
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
good lookin' out boy! i been lookin' fo that 1973 ike for a minute and ain't come up on one yet! like i had said in da other post, ikez be sellin' on da ebay fo 'bout $1.25 each in 50-100 count lots. playa talkin' 'bout craigslist proly gots da best idea. thankz for da tip! aksin' fo' ikez be a good way to holla at da tellerz. might get into a lil chit-chat! otherwise it's "got any hafs? oh naw, not dem gold dollarz! none? peace shorty, i'm out!".

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Patrick Earl Houston said:
good lookin' out boy! i been lookin' fo that 1973 ike for a minute and ain't come up on one yet! like i had said in da other post, ikez be sellin' on da ebay fo 'bout $1.25 each in 50-100 count lots. playa talkin' 'bout craigslist proly gots da best idea. thankz for da tip! aksin' fo' ikez be a good way to holla at da tellerz. might get into a lil chit-chat! otherwise it's "got any hafs? oh naw, not dem gold dollarz! none? peace shorty, i'm out!".

Translation- for chalkies-

Good eyes! I've been looking for that one, too... although I have yet to find one. Like I said in another post, Ikes have been selling on E-bay for around $1.25 each in 50-100 count lots. The fellow who mentioned Craigslist probably has the best idea. Thanks for the tip!

By the way- asking for Ikes might be a good way to meet the ladies. If they offer those gold dollars, Just Say No! and thanks for your time-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread