SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually start out in Park 2 with 50 tones. If it's noisy or unstable and I can't calm it down by lowering the sensitivity I have no issues going to Park 1.

I recently stopped manually ground balancing it too, I keep it at zero. In Park 2 I do notice that I dig more nails and junky iron stuff. I've tried the Field modes but always end up in Park 1 or 2.

I know Field 2 is supposed to notch out hot rocks which made me laugh to myself, until I started digging hot rocks in Park 2 in an old farm field lol. They all hit right at a solid 1, which is right where Minelab notches them out in the Field settings I believe.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started 5 tone Park 1&2 same with field I’m guessing hot rocks are what we call coke. I alway GB 0 but I must admit I had a good day same place in Beach mode.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tones on the Nox bear no additional target information, they are just tones. Having said that, when land hunting I use 50 tones simply because I'm mainly high tone hunting and I find that broader range of tones provides me narrower audio recognition in my targeted "sweet point" that I'm chasing. However, when I'm water hunting (freshwater) I'm usually in a gold mode because that mode provides me "a lot" more depth due to that mode's true threshold, but only a single tone. But when I'm water hunting I'm generally scooping most non-ferrous returns anyway.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
50 tones only. Gotta love that shrill sounds

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 tones all the time.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use use 50 tones in Park 1, which I use for parks and curb strip type hunting. Ghost towns and old camps I prefer Field 1 with 2 tones. I run it with no discrimination (horseshoe on), and turn the iron volume down to the lowest setting. Sometimes I'll do other settings depending where I am hunting, but the above is what I use most of the time.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
5 tones is plenty but it could be useful if you have discerning
Hearing and can tell the subtle differences in tones. I use it but
Mostly use 5 tones.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically more tones such as the 50 your talking about, means every item in ground is a different tone to understand, if so how in the heck do you no what each of those tones mean per metal object in ground, boy I hope I’m wrong but, but per coin and metal objects would 10 tones be enough, thanks maybe I’m stupid, you explain very well for all

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to do 50,

Now I do 5...

I can’t tell you exactly why, but I plan on digging most targets, and the 50 tone might let you dig a little less, but you have to listen to a lot more noises!

I also hunt almost everything in park 1 now too. Park 1 let’s me hear cruddy deeper signals I have found out. Sounds counter intuitive, but on salty beaches, park 1 is the shiz. 5 tones

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's been way too many turbine engines and whiny helicopter transmissions in my past to make much use of the 50 tones. At least I can make out the pitch changes differences in 5 tones.....for now.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only Saltwater hunt and use 1 tone. As one poster stated, once a target is decided on as nonferrous it is coming out of the beach anyway. Regardless of the number it might be throwing at me. Which BTW, is often not reliable at depth.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 tone. 50 has to much background noise. Silver is clear in 5 tone.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
5 tone. 50 has to much background noise. Silver is clear in 5 tone.

Put down a Mercury and modern dime on the ground. Use your 5 tones and listen, Both are the same. Then switch to 50 tones and tell me that you don't hear the higher, silver tone. Get back and let me know.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have some hearing loss and tinnitus. The standard wireless headphones that came with the 800 were not suitable for me. Sounded too muddy.
Bought the Trond BH01 headphones and that solved or at least improved my hearing of the different tones. Now won't relic hunt without the Trond Headphones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread