$500 Halves Yield Six Silver Kennedys (Pics)

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Went to 5 banks today, none had loose halves, but 2 banks were happy to sell rolls of half dollars. I got $300 in Yellow wrappers from one bank, and $200 in Brown wrappers in a $500 box from the second bank (all they had). I did a quick search for silver, and in the first 10 rolls with yellow wrappers, I had hit a '64 and a '66. I opened the rest of the Yellows, and not another silver in the rest of the 30 rolls.
So, on to the Brown wrapped rolls. I figured these might be good, since this $200 was in a bank box. This is gonna be hard for you to believe, but I opened the first 19 of the 20 rolls with zero silvers. The last roll is pictured below, with the 4 silvers from it in front of the other 16 coins! I am at a loss how I could get 2 silvers in the first 10 rolls opened, then open the next 39 rolls and get none, then FOUR silvers in the 50th, (last) roll. Just plain weird. While I did not get the big score like some who open rolls and find Walkers or Franklin's, I am happy to find what I did.

The last photo shows the coins: '64, '64-D, '65, '66, '67, '68-D.

Attachments

• TF-TwoSilverKenedys1.jpg
    TF-TwoSilverKenedys1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 271
  • TF-500HalvesBox.jpg
    TF-500HalvesBox.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 268
  • TF-FourSilverKenedys.jpg
    TF-FourSilverKenedys.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 262
  • TF-SixSilverKenedys.jpg
    TF-SixSilverKenedys.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
By the way, besides the obvious "S" mint proofs and 2002 and higher non-circulating halves, are there any special dates or "errors" I should check these Kennedy's for? Please reply before I send that "special" coin back to the bank......

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some 74-D's have obverse doubling, most visible on the "RUS" of Trust. Some (1966, 1973-D, 1982) have missing designer initials on the reverse (the FG below the eagle's right leg).

Congrats on the silver! I just ordered another box that'll come in Monday.

OP
OP
Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Immy,
Thanks for the info. I think i will order a box also. I was really surprised there was silver in the rolls. When you open the roll and look at the roll edge, the silvers REALLY stand out. Maybe if we all order boxes, the Fed coin guy will have to send out those really old boxes full of Walkers at the back of the vault!

Thanks

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't that be great? That's probably not too farfetched either considering some of the finds reported here.

BTW, does Elwood search with you? ;D

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Immy--I thought the years missing the designer initials were 1982-1983-1990. The only ones I have found are 1983P's. I do have a 1990P that I can't find a mark on but its quite worn and it could just have been scraped away.

So tell me should I be searching for those 1973d's.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know 1966 is one year because I have a mint set and when I was looking up its value recently there was mention that some have missing initials. I'll have to double check on the 73D but I'm pretty sure I saw that in the Red Book. I knew about the 82's from people posting here but I wasn't sure about other dates and figured someone could supply them. I've never found one of any date with missing initials.

OP
OP
Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Here is a link that lists some coins to hunt for while searching the rolls. And, since it is on the Internet, it is assured to be accurate, ;).

http://www.pocketchangelottery.com/article99.htm

Went to Harris Bank today and got $200 in Halves. Same place I got $300 yesterday, (all the cash I had with me, and the teller would have been happy to sell more), and the friggin' teller (different one from the very nice woman yesterday) charges me $2 for the transaction, "10 cents a roll". I mentioned that yesterday there was no charge, but he persisted. I explained that I had never been charged a premium to exchange dollars for change before, but he persisted and I didn't want to waste the trip. Bet that $2 will be buying donuts tomorrow.
Of course, no keepers in the $200 halves.

Stopped by a TCF Bank i had never tried, and the tellers all checked their trays and gave me 5 halves, and one was a '67! Some tellers are so nice, and others such pricks that they must believe that it is THEIR money in the vault, lol.

Guess which bank I will NEVER choose if I ever need a new account or loan, etc.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread