Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$50K in Valuable Coins Stolen from Parking Lot

UNIONTOWN, Ohio – It is being called a crime of opportunity. A man steals tens of thousands of dollars of gold and silver, without ever going into the store.

Store surveillance video captured the theft. Police hope it helps catch the man who made off with the goods from the parking lot.
The theft happened outside the Hartville Coin and Jewelry Store around 9:30 a.m. Thursday morning.
Uniontown Police Chief Harold Britt said they are looking for a man who was turned away because the store was not open yet.
At the same time, a store employee did not realized that a package, that was to be mailed, fell out of the trunk of the car and onto the parking lot.
That package contained upwards of $50,000 worth of gold and silver coins and gold jewelry.

VIDEO $50K in Valuable Coins Stolen from Parking Lot | FOX8.com

Followup :

Man Returns $50K Worth of Valuable Coins

UNIONTOWN, Ohio — No charges will be filed against a man accused of taking nearly $50,000 worth of gold and silver coins from a parking lot.

Man Returns $50K Worth of Valuable Coins | FOX8.com

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
So, Jeff, where exactly were you at 9:30am last Thursday morning? You seem to know an awful lot about this...

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of been curious too. If I found a box in a parking lot with no one around I am not sure what I might do.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I found it, I'd at least be collecting the reward :laughing7:

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was probably trying to tell them there was a box in the parking lot but they kept pointing at the sign that said not open till 10.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went off on some guy about this story.. IMO

This guy went to the coin shop, it was closed, then he saw a box in the middle of a parking lot. And next thing you know, this guy is being called a Thief and is face all over the local news.
The news pretty prosicuted him before he had a chance to return it.

Im sorry, but I would have picked up the box as well, and waiting to find the owner of the package. It was a fact the coin shop was closed, So what else was this guy supposed to do??

its not like it was marked GOLD AND SILVER. And it could have easily been stolen by anyone else, the reason this guy caught so much greif was the fact he had his face on camera, while he was trying to visit the coin shop.

The news and idiot employee are the ones to blame, Just like Fox, jumping the gun before getting the facts.

Sorry Jeff...Im just tired of hearing this man get bashed for this.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What goofs would mail 50K Unless it was one 1933 gold.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went off on some guy about this story.. IMO

This guy went to the coin shop, it was closed, then he saw a box in the middle of a parking lot. And next thing you know, this guy is being called a Thief and is face all over the local news.
The news pretty prosicuted him before he had a chance to return it.

Im sorry, but I would have picked up the box as well, and waiting to find the owner of the package. It was a fact the coin shop was closed, So what else was this guy supposed to do??

its not like it was marked GOLD AND SILVER. And it could have easily been stolen by anyone else, the reason this guy caught so much greif was the fact he had his face on camera, while he was trying to visit the coin shop.

The news and idiot employee are the ones to blame, Just like Fox, jumping the gun before getting the facts.

Sorry Jeff...Im just tired of hearing this man get bashed for this.

Well if you Know me, You know I wouldn't Bash him for Grabbing it.

I would have Grabbed it too :laughing7:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prior to him returning it was the parking lot going to press charges? I realize corporations are people but this is the first time I heard of something being stolen from a parking lot.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prior to him returning it was the parking lot going to press charges? I realize corporations are people but this is the first time I heard of something being stolen from a parking lot.

I think the store wanted the package back, or the Insurance $$$

I think the Police were chomping at the bit to be in on an Arrest & make $$$

I'm guessing the Police are sad they didn't catch him first :laughing7:
and possibly the TV station is sad it didn't turn into a shootout

Last edited:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone picks up a Penny off of the street, is that stealing as well? Every time someone digs a target, is that stealing too?

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone picks up a Penny off of the street, is that stealing as well? Every time someone digs a target, is that stealing too?

When a politician sticks his hands in your pockets is that stealing ?

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When a politician sticks his hands in your pockets is that stealing ?

Answering a question with a question is a common tactic of a politician. I will answer "yes" to your question. Now can you answer mine?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread