52 grams 14k (I hope!) I need to brag and want advise.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I did not find this with the Ace 250. I bought in a big bag of junk jewelry for $35 at auction. I finally got my test kit and scale in the mail this afternoon, so I "found out about it" today.

The bracelet weighs 25.6 g. It's marked where shown and on the clasp. I tested 3 places (including the chain) and I'm confident it's 14k.

None of the other stuff is marked. They are all scratched (mangled) and tested out to about 14k. The grand total is just about 52 grams.

Now, the request for advise - where do I sell it? I was drooling at Kitco.com with their buying price of $20.48 /g for 14k today . . . and then I saw the fatal "NOTICE: We do not buy jewelry from individuals."

Attachments

• overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,766
  • detail 1.jpg
    detail 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,743
  • detail 2.jpg
    detail 2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,753
Upvote 0

tubesaft78910

Greenie
Nov 6, 2010
woodinville, Wa
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have been doing gold testing in my pawnshops for the last 25 years so I thought I would pass on a bit of advice. Number one-- always use fresh acid, it weakens over time. I order at least once a year. Keep your pumice stone clean, a sandpaper will work fine. Be careful-- that stuff is very nasty. I keep a cup of water close by and dip my stone in it and rinse every time I test. Really bear down when you scratch the stone, some heavy plate will fool you, use a file and get deep into it to test. The whole acid kit is pretty cheap from many jewelry supply stores.
I tried the electronic testers with the jell and just never seemed to work as well or as fast as the acid and they are expensive. I sometimes test over a hundred pieces a day. 14ktp is not plated, the p stands for pumb which means the item is at least 14kt, they are allowed to call 13-14kt or 15 kt -14 kt and still be leagle.
Do enough and pretty soon you will be able to spot the bad stuff in the pile with just your eye. Just my 2 cents worth and is worth what you paid for it. Good luck, I have several MD guys bringing stuff into my shop, nice guys. Stretch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions