53 class ring, pilots wings, my heart sings - UPDATE: I may have found my man!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
'53 class ring, pilot's wings, my heart sings - UPDATE: I may have found my man!

I didn't have an old site lined up for today, so I decided to go back to a site that's given up some oldies in spots. A pastor friend of mine has given me permission to hunt the grounds around the church and parsonage, and I have; my first SLQ came from the property, along with lots of silver and a large cent. After two good days of rain, I thought I'd go back over and try my luck closer to the church, which dates from the mid to late 1960's. I figured that, at the very least, I'd rake in some clad (my how the standards have fallen!) and maybe find the odd piece of jewelry.
I started near an old foundation where I found the SLQ, just for kicks; I managed two wheat pennies and then went for the clad. It started pouring in quickly, with lots of quarter signals; if you're gonna dig clad, might as well make it quarters! Another good quarter signal yielded these silver pilot's wings; I suspect they're military but I'll have to confer with jethro1982 to be sure. Of course, there are other experts on the forum who will chime in, I'm sure. I picked out a utility pole and just started circling it, pulling in lots of clad. The good thing about this church (from a detecting point of view) is that there are very few pull tabs; nickels were nickels. Eventually, I got a 50/ring signal on the XLT; this almost never means a ring, but for some reason I was optimistic. Plug dug, I saw the distinct shape of a class ring. This is my third, and, as it turns out, the oldest yet. It's a man's ring (pretty sure) from West View High School, class of 1953. This school no longer exists; it was folded into the North Hills School District just outside of Pittsburgh who knows when. There are initials, so my mission now is to try and find the owner. I figure he'd be about 74-75 years old.
No sooner had I dug the ring than the Franklin Park Police pulled up; a passerby had seen me digging and, knowing a threat to national security when he/she saw one, called the FPPD. The officer had a sheepish grin on his face, the kind that means, "some moron called the dispatcher so I have to check you out." He looked at the clouds and hoped out loud that rain wouldn't shorten my stay and wished me good luck. Noticing also that halfdime Junior was riding his bike nearby, he concluded that we were no threat. I also assured him that I had the pastor's permission to be there, so I was okay with the law. Somewhere, though, an idiot with nothing better to do is thinking up different ways to intrude in someone else's business.
I figured today would be clad day, but finding Sterling wings and a 10K ring made it a great day!

UPDATE: I spoke with a woman who coordinates reunions for that class; she found one man who has the initials that match the ring. He now lives in Ft. Myers, Florida and we'll attempt contact tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!

Attachments

• wvclassring 001 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 001 (Small).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,203
  • wvclassring 002 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 002 (Small).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,176
  • wvclassring 003 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 003 (Small).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,171
  • wvclassring 004 (Small).jpg
    wvclassring 004 (Small).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,197
Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: '53 class ring, pilot's wings, my heart sings

:icon_thumright: awsome finds

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Awesome finds and out of a church yard to boot! WTG!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

HH,
Moon

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Super finds HD!
Great looking class ring. :thumbsup:
This must be class ring week, there seems to be a number of them popping up lately.
Congrats,
MM

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great looking ring congrats. I would keep hunting that site.

Burdie

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's very exciting to find a class ring that old. That's a beauty too. Nice wings also. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats on the gold and silver, those are great finds!

Nat

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good finds. Good luck on finding the owner.....Matt

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beauty of a ring, HD! :icon_thumleft: Nice pilot's wings, too.

HH

jethro1982

Aug 22, 2008

Yes, they are Air Force pilot wings, much like my first ones. Well, not my first wings, my first pilot wings. My first wings were nav wings. Nice finds, especially the wings. Anybody can buy a class ring, pilot wings must be earned.

Attachments

• Pilot wings.jpg
    Pilot wings.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 881
  • nav wings.jpg
    nav wings.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 883
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

jethro1982 said:
Yes, they are Air Force pilot wings, much like my first ones. Well, not my first wings, my first pilot wings. My first wings were nav wings. Nice finds, especially the wings. Anybody can buy a class ring, pilot wings must be earned.
Thanks for the info! I'll bet whoever lost them was sick about it, especially if they fell off a uniform. I'd be almost as interested in who lost them as in who lost the ring.

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer

Very nice congrats :thumbsup:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love that pilot's wing.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.

If I found a ring like that I would wear it. Very beautiful ring.

PAUL2006

Jun 25, 2009
OREGON
Detector(s) used
whites XLT

WOW AWESOME FIND COOL RING :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :notworthy: :headbang: :icon_salut: :wav:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread