57 jewel watch

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend sent me this and said that she felt like I needed to have it. It's a Hilton men's watch 57 jewel automatic. It works really good. It does not look too good. Would it be worth getting the cover polished? Or buffed out? I'm thinking about wearing about the band is too big also. Never knew they had 57 jewel watches!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453909144.882769.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453909174.649360.jpg

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can buff out the crystal using a fingernail buffing pad. the 4-way pads work well. don't try a file or emery board, too abrasive. high jewel movements are usually worth saving.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen one other of those for sale in all the years of searching. It was in an antique store I frequented and I did get the back off. To me it looked like all those jewels were non functional and added only to enhance the construction as a selling point from this watchmaker. Some of the jewels looked as if they may have been added to act as a ware pad or something?. They had a price of something like $95.00 on it and I didn't think it was worth that. It sat in the case for while, but eventually it did sell. It's definitely unique. I've got pretty good at buffing and cleaning up old hacked up acrylic crystals using a multi grit finger nail buffer and finishing off the super smooth surface using hand rub the silver polish and the sponge that comes with it. I can do it even fast using my Dremel, but you need to be very careful in doing it that way as the buff pad will heat up the acrylic crystal and burn real fast in to it. They come out looking like a new super clear crystals when I'm done. I've bought old wristwatches that looked pretty scruffy outside, but did run good to clean up. When you see them for sale looking all scratched up and scruffy you'll have some issue to bring up with the seller and very often get the price down. They're just not as salable looking all cruddy. After I get them all spiffed up outwardly they sell for sometime double to quadruple the price I gave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions