May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,

Vp here, I got out today for about 2 hours and worked a site that has an old colonial road going thru it. It was cold, about 25 degrees and the ground was still frozen solid. I got the perfect 00 28 signal on my SE about 30 minutes into the hunt. I dug and dug trying to get below the frost line to retrieve the coin, unfortunately the coin was IN THE FROST LINE AND I DECKED IT 3 TIMES with my digging tools !!!!!!!

You can see the two small hits with my Lesche - i had no idea i was hitting the coin, i thought it was much deeper. On top of that i also got it with my foxhole shovel !!!! NOT GOOD !!!

oh well, i guess i learned yet another little tip when metal detecting in the winter - good to know ;)

ANYWAY .... the coin is VERY thin and you can see the size comparison with the modern quarter, there is no detail on it at all but it is definately copper - i truly thought it was a button but there is no sign of a shank anywhere on the thing so i really think it's a coin.

now - i got an overload signal right on top of the ground where i think the old colonial road went thru. That's where i retrieved the knife looking thing - i'm not sure it is an old knife or part of one being that this is a corn field and it could have came from a piece of farm equipment or something but on the other hand ... this was a very well traveled road (or so i think) and it sure does look like a knife of some sort ... what do you guys think ?

thanks for looking

vp

Attachments

• colonialstuff2.jpg
    colonialstuff2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 604
Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hey, Kevin, it is nice to see that Kyle's ra-search site is still producing! Keep hitting that site!

Kirk

P.S. Those darned coppa slugs are troublesome. >:(

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hey, I’m impressed with that coin, great find for sure, very old too. Thanks for posting. :)

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Kevin. B D D's secret weapon strikes again. Are you going to tumble it?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, 5 coppas per month is a pretty good pace. B D D might want to revise its prediction for coppas. At this rate you will find 60 yourself this year.

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Nice copper. That blade looks like a knife I have that came from my grandfather. My dad calls it a corn knife, probably used it to make corn shocks.
JDD

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KirkPA said:
Hey, Kevin, it is nice to see that Kyle's ra-search site is still producing! Keep hitting that site!

Kirk

P.S. Those darned coppa slugs are troublesome. >:(

hey kirk,

yeah, kyle is a great researcher - i will give him that !

funny thing was i found this coin right near where i got my half dime a while back, the signal was weird it only came up "perfect" when i swung over it from one side - otherwise it was all iron

Just goes to show you, nothing is ever hunted out, we all pounded that area good and there are still coins there to be found !

take care,

kevin

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ant said:
Hey, I’m impressed with that coin, great find for sure, very old too. Thanks for posting. :)

thanks ant, it's a slug but it's definately an old slug
not even sure the tumbler can help this one !

vp

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John Deere Digger said:
Nice copper. That blade looks like a knife I have that came from my grandfather. My dad calls it a corn knife, probably used it to make corn shocks.
JDD

hey JDD,

thanks for the info, the more i look at it the more it looks like a knife blade. i'm gonna try and clean it up a bit

thanks again and take care,

vp

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Evolution said:
Nice find Kevin. B D D's secret weapon strikes again. Are you going to tumble it?

hey rob,

how ya doing buddy ?

yeah i'm gonna tumble it, but i'm afraid nothings gonna help this one.

take care !

Kevin

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
It is awesome you found it in that area. That area was pounded, but there is a lot of iron. Paco definitely can work those iron patches, too. :D

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Hey VP, Here is a little info on winter hunting. Sometimes frost in the ground will give the impression of a deep target when it is really shallow. I was told that the frost or frozen ground will deflect some of your signal which affects your pinpoint also. I have done the same thing but worse. I cut an I.H. in half one day.

"may there always be a road"

Les

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
diggerfororo said:
Hey VP, Here is a little info on winter hunting. Sometimes frost in the ground will give the impression of a deep target when it is really shallow. I was told that the frost or frozen ground will deflect some of your signal which affects your pinpoint also. I have done the same thing but worse. I cut an I.H. in half one day.

"may there always be a road"

Les

hey thanks les,

that makes me feel a little better - that's exactly what happened - it sounded deeper than what it was

thanks again and take care,

vp

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KirkPA said:
It is awesome you found it in that area. That area was pounded, but there is a lot of iron. Paco definitely can work those iron patches, too. :D

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

thanks kirk,

take care buddy

kevin

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig Kevin. That's one thing I hate about winter hunting...frozen ground and chipping away for the coin. Nothing is ever hunted out buddy and you are proving it. I'm going to rework all my hunted out sites this year and pound them for the zillionth time. Heck I had a pretty good year last year...so why not REpound them again ;D

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find VP,I allways love findin them things it's usually a sign of good things to come. ;) Best of luck on your next hunt,I"m a whoos so I wont be havein to worry about that whole frozen ground thing.But then again..... :D

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
silverfreak said:
Nice dig Kevin. That's one thing I hate about winter hunting...frozen ground and chipping away for the coin. Nothing is ever hunted out buddy and you are proving it. I'm going to rework all my hunted out sites this year and pound them for the zillionth time. Heck I had a pretty good year last year...so why not REpound them again ;D

hey bryce,

yeah you are the king of reworking hunted out areas aren't you buddy ? if i recall, most of your finds were from hunted out parks weren't they ? and you foudn some NICE stuff last year.

the frozen ground sucks, 'cause i left a few 'iffy signals behind just because the ground was so solid - oh well - saved them for another day

take care buddy,

kevin

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kieser sousa said:
Nice find VP,I allways love findin them things it's usually a sign of good things to come. ;) Best of luck on your next hunt,I"m a whoos so I wont be havein to worry about that whole frozen ground thing.But then again..... :D

thanks kieser

hope you have a great year

vp

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VP,
YOU got skills Big Guy!!! Way to go on the old coppa. Your hard work and dedication paid off.
Would that be considered hard cold cash? ;D ;)
-MM-

P.S.
KIRK- Did you retire, or won't Stacia let you out of the house? ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread