5x8 coil testimony and general detecting question

steveo40

May 10, 2014
Hi All, My son and I have only been detecting since last August, so we have lots to learn yet. We are both using the Garrett AT pro. This morning we hunted a 1/2 acre park that is nearly 100 years old and very trashy. I will say that the 5x8 coils is absolutely awesome in trashy areas. I was using the small coil and my son the stock 8 1/2x 11. We were able to compare targets and the stock coil could not pick out the target among all the trash. I ended up the 25 coins to his 1, so I ordered him the 5x8 when we got home. I also made a observation that I would like opinions on. I noticed once we started detecting that there were some old holes from a previous detectorist. We only covered about half that park. Why were we able to find so may coins when there were old holes all around us. Is it possible that someone cherry picked it? We only found clad coins today nothing old. Is it possible to cherry pick only older coins? Or do you think they just missed the coins that we found and the 5x8 coil is just that good. Thank you for your opinions.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Some times people may just hunt silver and gold signals one hunt and next hunt they may search coins too. I know when I hunt, I may just use all my time to focus and search and dig only gold and silver targets. Next time I may want to dig those coin targets as well. One gold ring find can be worth more than many clad coin hunts.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody gets them all, but the AT machines have lightning fast recovery speed and can pick out targets amongst the trash better than most. Don't rule out operator skill, either. It's true some people only go for the quarters and big silver. As for leaving the holes, that's not a good detectorist.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had to cover holes in the park left by others. It makes me so mad. Talk about lazy. The pro is a capable fun machine.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think incompetence using a detector and leaving holes open goes hand in hand. I went to a small park once with giant plugs that were halfway thrown back into the hole, and whatever trash they found tossed on the ground next to the hole. Less than a foot away from the giant plug I got a solid 90 on my ATP. Maybe an inch down was a new presidential dollar coin, my first dollar coin find ever.

Just a few weeks ago I started seeing the same thing at another park, half @$$ed plugs and pull tabs laying next to them. Just a few feet away I got a nice high tone, found a real shallow silver bracelet. Makes you wonder sometimes....

2014-04-14 18.22.02.jpg

I am really considering the 5x8 coil for my next buy. Can you give an average maximum depth that you get out of it? With the stock coil, I can find a quarter in good wet ground maybe 10" at best, +/-. I pulled a nickle out of my yard that was almost a foot, but it was a repeatable signal in the iron range in soft wet ground. Most stuff in parks is less than 8" around here. Most of the silver and wheat pennies that I find are only a few inches down, but usually masked out by nearby trash.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are at a place you can go too all the time, with no worries of other hunters...You should go in waves. I usally go thru and try and clean an area out of coins, mainly to see how deep they are, what years, if the depth makes sense, then i go for gold targets when the coins signals are pretty much gone.

Than usally once i think most the targets are gone, if im in an older area, i just go real slow and hit the super deep stuff

that 5x8 Coil is the only way to go on the ATP

CMan1

Nov 21, 2014
Treasure Coast 1715 Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I feel no other MD hunt a park we go to. The 5 x 11 seems to find coins no silver yet.
Penny, nickles, dimes, guarters and jewelry.
AT Pro rocks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions