5X8 DD or Sniper Coil for More Open & Trashy?

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Ace 250 with a stock coil that I have gotten lots of good use out of. I would like a new coil to deal with the trashy areas and am considering either a Sniper Coil or a 5x8 DD coil for my Ace 250.

I rarely hunt tight spaces or tot lots and I don’t know if my soil is mineralized and can't tell the difference. I don’t want to limit myself to 4” depth (most of my best targets for my sites lie in the 6-8” range) but I don’t want to sacrifice finding coins and jewelry that might be masked by trash.

...or should I be looking at the 8.5x11 DD?

Any comments, opinions, or personal preferences would be welcome. Thanks.

Nick

Last edited:

TheOldMan

Nov 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
8.5 x 11 - I use the SuperSniper around metal fences and objects but the 8.5 x 11 works great even in trashy spots.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a conversation with someone at garrett about this. He told me that 5x8 is best for trashy areas. But after debating this idea for a while, I figured theres no point in dropping 125 bucks into s starter detector. Better off just upgrading.

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
I swing the big DD coil and it does see deeper but it is HEAVY. My shoulder complained a lot the next day! When I went from the small coil to the big coil it took some getting used to. I had to work up to using it for a full day. I would suggest the 5X8 DD coil. It does a great job of seeing good stuff amidst the trash. I found a coin that was 1/2 inch away from a pull tab and I could see both of them instead of having a mixed signal that looked like trash.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input, TheOldMan, dholland02, and relicswinger. I got the go-ahead to put a new coil on my Christmas list and hope to order in a day or 2. My leanings are toward the 8.5x11 and the 5x8 now...a little more towards the 5x8 I think. As much as I'd love to upgrade detectors it's not in my budget this year.
Nick

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick,
you might want to consider this to get the most for your money.
The average price for the 8.5x11DD coil is approx. $119 + $15 for the coil cover, which without shipping or tax is $134.
The 5x8DD goes for approx. $110 + $11 for the coil cover, which without shipping or tax is $121
Now if you sold your Ace250 on ebay or some where else you could easily get between $125-150 for it.

So now if you have the $121 from what you would have paid for the cheaper of the two above coils and at least $125 from the sale of the Ace 250 that gives you approx. $246.
Bart at Big boys Hobbies (forum sponsor) has the Ace 350 with a Lesche digger for $297. here's the site: Garrett Ace 350 Metal Detector | Big Boys Hobbies
If you call him and tell him you are a forum member and tell him you don't want the Lesche I'll bet the price will be very,very close to what money you have.
Believe me I have dealt with him many times over the phone and he always answers and is pleasant to talk to and very informative. He also doesn't charge shipping so the price he quotes is the price you pay.
I definitely suggest you ask him about a price on the Ace350 2 coil deal for a couple bucks more you will have both the DD coils which is way cheaper than buying seperately later. Here is his website suggested price:
http://bigboyshobbies.net/shop/garrett-ace-350-2-coil-spring-special/
But once again,you must call him for a price. :thumbsup:

Here is the differences between the Ace250 and the Ace 350

The Ace 350 runs on 8.25kHz. (better to detect gold) also Enhanced Iron Resolution™: allows more control of iron discrimination levels; helps separate good targets from adjacent junk iron.
It has the DD coil.
Plus it comes with headphones.

The Ace 250 runs on 6.5kHz with a concentric coil.

Here is why:
DD Coil vs Concentric Search Coils - Hollands Brook
Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work
View attachment 648642

This is copied right from Garrett's website:
I highlighted in blue the new features over the 250

Garrett Hobby Division
ACE™ 250 Metal Detector
Product No: 1139070.....MSRP: $249.95
Key Features

•Electronic Pinpointing: to precisely locate target and speed recovery

•Accept/Reject Discrimination: to modify discrimination patterns

•Five Search Modes: select pre-set discrimination pattern or create your own

•Continuous Coin Depth Indicator: to determine target depth

•Battery Condition Indicator: shows battery life continually

•Interchangeable ACE series searchcoils: are available

•Expanded Target ID Legend: easy-to-read above large LCD screen

•Pushbutton Controls: with One-Touch operation

•Other features: 3-piece travel/storage, disassembles to 24"; adjustable
arm cuff; quarter-inch (1/4") size headphone jack.
Search Modes (Discrimination Patterns): 5 plus electronic pinpointing

•All Metal (Zero)
•Jewelry
•Custom
•Relics
•Coins
•Pinpoint

ACE™ 350 Metal Detector
Product No. 1140260.....MSRP: $349.95 (U.S.)
Key Features

•.Enhanced Iron Resolution™: allows more control of iron discrimination levels; helps separate good targets from adjacent junk iron

•Powerful new Double-D searchcoil: provides greater detection depth and performance in mineralized grounds and excellent scanning coverage.

•Higher Frequency: offers improved ability to detect both small (i.e. small gold nuggets) and large targets

•Volume Control Headphones: included with purchase

•Electronic Pinpointing: to precisely locate target and speed recovery

•Accept/Reject Discrimination: to modify discrimination patterns

•Five Search Modes: select pre-set discrimination pattern or create your own

•Continuous Coin Depth Indicator: to determine target depth

•Battery Condition Indicator: shows battery life continually

•Interchangeable ACE series searchcoils: are available

•Other features: One-Touch operation; 3-piece travel/storage, disassembles to 24"; adjustable arm cuff; quarter-inch (1/4") size headphone jack.
Search Modes (Discrimination Patterns): 5 plus electronic pinpointing

•All Metal (Zero)
•Jewelry
•Custom
•Relics
•Coins
•Pinpoint

If you go with the Ace 350 2 coil special you get the added 5x8 DD coil which is used for high trash and tight spots like the Sniper coil but with greater ground depth than the sniper.

Good luck & happy hunting

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Ace 350. Thank you so much for the well researched and very informative post!
Nick

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick,
You're welcome and glad I could help.
I already kinda went through what you are going through so I thought I would pass on the info I learned and the costly lesson I learned by buying the Ace350 single coil package from a big internet metal detector store instead of the 2 coil package from Bart at bigboyshobbies.net

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread