6/03/12 THE BAZOOKA GOLD TRAP DOES IT AGAIN!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got off the phone with Todd from Bazooka. He tells me there will be 3 sizes of prospector in the end: the 30" (current size - Prospector), plus 2 more at 36" and 48". Those last two are yet to be officially named. I upgraded the Prospector I had ordered before to a 36" version, which Todd will be manufacturing next week. Its perfect for hiking up in the San Juans, where you have little brush to catch on it up near the tree line. However, he did mention custom sizing is available if you have a real need for that.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I got the prototype.
What happened is I had talked to Todd about the length limit in the White Mountains, 36 inches, and he had a Super Prospector that was returned due to damage in shipping, the intake end was cracked. He said he would cut it down for me to 36 inches and said he had been giving some thought to that length. I encouraged him and snapped up the custom rig. :icon_thumright:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, we discussed those details, but I thought he mentioned you got a 38", which would be unique! Maybe he was referring to someone else. Is yours 36" or 38"?

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ben, you didn't by any chance already own a 30" Prospector did you, and maybe now have had a chance to compare the 30" to the 36"? If so, I would love to hear about it.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
No this is my first bazooka, I just felt the 30 didn't look like it had enough run out so wanted the extra 6 inches and still be WMNF legal. I plan to use it probably next May after ice out

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No this is my first bazooka, I just felt the 30 didn't look like it had enough run out so wanted the extra 6 inches and still be WMNF legal. I plan to use it probably next May after ice out

I had exactly the same concern about run out surface, so lets hope we both got it right.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you guys using the Gold n Sand hand dredges ever tried the "Boomer Box" adapter?

I built my own and it makes it so easy to dredge right into your hand sluice or your bazooka.

handdredge.jpg ggtrap.jpg

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one coming in the mail now with my new Xstream. Looks like you have made some mods to the stock setup goodguy, other than the boomer box, mind telling us about them?

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one coming in the mail now with my new Xstream. Looks like you have made some mods to the stock setup goodguy, other than the boomer box, mind telling us about them?

The main mod was installing the output check valve at the crash box which eliminated trying to make sure the valve was always upright and it also eliminated any gravel buildup at the valve that could cause it to stick open.

Actually I built mine from the ground up before I knew about the Gold n Sand model. Later after I saw the gold n sand model with boomer box I built the crash box for mine.

check valve.jpg

As far as mods to the fluid bed sluice go, I designed the grizzly to be level with the slick plate and increased the input volume to the fluid bed tubes and added an angled (self cleaning) leaf guard. The crash box is supposed to sit level. (I didn't have it pushed all the way down) I will be using it tomorrow on Salt Creek so I may try to take a video of it in action.

Attachments

• ggtrap1.jpg
    ggtrap1.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nice work gg :notworthy:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks good. :)

Do you have many problems with the Gold-N-Sand clogging up?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Guy, those are some interesting looking items you've made for yourself. I'm looking forward to seeing your video of the pair working together in a stream. A leaf guard, what a natural add on!.....63bkpkr

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
finally got a chance to go get some yellow stuff i made it out for an hour before the rain hit .i was still able to run three 2 gallon buckets.
12-3-12.jpg
and here is my total gold in about 8 trips out. a little over a gram.
total.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How many hours work across the 8 trips would you say it comes to?

I always try to figure my production per hour of river time. If I am at 0.07 grams that is on the high end for metro Denver...lots of trips are less productive of course (darn!)...all good hard fun either way!

Last edited:

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thats for sure on the fun, i would say about 20 hours. But most of that was with a A-52 and the set up and classifing was killing my time out and then theres the water level drops man i hate those, only two trips with the BGT and i do more in half the time i cant wait to get the x-steam.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sorry about the bad pictures that was with my blackberry my wife ran off with our camera im thinking of getting a waterproof one and shooting a few videos but ive never done anything like that before, i think it would help show just how easy the BGT is to use.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My production has definitely jumped with the bgt too...great fun! Looking forward to more pics. If you r thinking of taking pics of your operation at the creek, just remember that a lot of phones and cameras now include gps data with the photo...sucky way to make your favorite or secret spot VERY public knowledge.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lol,ya i have seen that were you can tag your self ill take the camera out with me and your right it is alot of fun to run the bgt.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn, that is some fine gold that you found there. :)

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry Kevin,
I've been meaning to come up to Clear Creek in Denver for a while, little bit of a shorter drive for me than Buen Vista. I'll try not to hog too much of the river. :laughing7: I used to not want to go up there with the regular Keene because you have to classify and run so much dirt, but with the BGT I can be more productive and not come out with a back ache.

My production has definitely jumped with the bgt too...great fun! Looking forward to more pics. If you r thinking of taking pics of your operation at the creek, just remember that a lot of phones and cameras now include gps data with the photo...sucky way to make your favorite or secret spot VERY public knowledge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions