6/03/12 THE BAZOOKA GOLD TRAP DOES IT AGAIN!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah, yes. They are a complete 'fail'. 10 feet would cost almost $100! They are clearly targeting specialty uses. The sales rep suggested I try PVC (LOL!) after a couple of exchanges back and forth. She also admitted they do not even have a US distributor set up! Lame.

Mine it and recycle it!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, yes. They are a complete 'fail'. 10 feet would cost almost $100! They are clearly targeting specialty uses. The sales rep suggested I try PVC (LOL!) after a couple of exchanges back and forth. She also admitted they do not even have a US distributor set up! Lame.

Mine it and recycle it!

Other than the cost, did they send you a sample? If cost were no object, would the hose work better than other options?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I am wanting to build a small bazooka trap style sluice out of stainless steel that deposits all it's waste and loaded material over a conventional sluice ( grill and carpet) , is this worth doing or would the bazooka catch everything anyway ? Any help would be great thanks ..... Rob UK

The fluid bed trap should catch most everything as long as you make sure that all the material entering the trap gets dunked and cant just flow straight across and over the discharge vent. You will need to add a diverter riffle just after the grizzly underneath the top of the trap that extends below the water surface in the trap by 1/2"

That way the water and material passing through the grizzly gets forced underwater in the trap deep enough that it cant just surf straight across and out.

GG~

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@UncleMatt I wasn't willing to pay $100 for a sample to try it out....

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha Kevin, I thought maybe they were sending you a foot of it for a sample or something like that.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish but they don't really sell in the US as it turns out so their cost to deliver here is just crazy...on top of high product cost, a surprise for China I would say.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG & Kevin, I noticed that the barb fittings for the 1 1/2" hose that came with my Gold-n-Sand reduce the interior diameter significantly. So I used the rubber adapter fittings that came with the check valve unit to join the hose to the pump and check valve on my new gold pump made from plans. The rubber fittings fit tightly around the outside, and I used the clamps that also came with the check valve to tighten everything down good and snug. I thought I would pass this along, since the parts already come free in the box, and you might as well make good use of them.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will not lose big gold over the bazooka grizzly if you add the 4 mesh screen unless you have either crazy angle or water flow going into it. The surface of the bazooka has enough grip and acts like a miller table. Anything picker size or even big flakes just stop almost where they land. If you run it real fast the bigger gold will make its way back to the wire opening and sit right before it. Notice the size of the gold compared to the 4 mesh screen. In most cases gold half the size of the screen (8 mesh) is sticking to the bazooka slick plate due to its high weight and the grip of the plastic. Nuggets will stand out clear as day.

I am sure I could find more examples of this in my videos as well if you want, but hopefully this is enough to show you not to worry about it.
Thanks so much for illustrating why my concerns were not valid. I am glad to mark that off my list of things to worry about.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unclematt- thanks for the tip!

Mine it and recycle it!

mapatrin

Dec 15, 2012
Goodyguy said:
The fluid bed trap should catch most everything as long as you make sure that all the material entering the trap gets dunked and cant just flow straight across and over the discharge vent. You will need to add a diverter riffle just after the grizzly underneath the top of the trap that extends below the water surface in the trap by 1/2"

That way the water and material passing through the grizzly gets forced underwater in the trap deep enough that it cant just surf straight across and out.

GG~

Thankyou that saves me a lot of stainless and planning. What distance inlet do I need to make sure the trap works

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou that saves me a lot of stainless and planning. What distance inlet do I need to make sure the trap works

Not sure I understand the question, can you be more specific?

For some extra insight click on this link for the original Schmidt design that the bazooka was patterned off of: Sluice trap
*Note there are two designs shown

Also you may want to build it from aluminum to save weight and cost.
Here is one I made from aluminum:

gt1.jpg

Note the diverter baffle. and that on my design of lowering the slick plate in front of the trap that there is no uphill grizzly for rocks to get hung up on.
(Classifier removed to show detail)
gt2.jpg

The arrow points to the V in front of the classifier that acts as a nugget trap.
gt3.jpg

Last edited:

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009

Mapatrin, here is several DIY builds of bazooka's (fluid beds) that either me or Goodyguy built, I put them in order from earliest to latest, the latest are no doubt the better ones:

My (first) DIY Gold Trap (Fluid bed) type sluice posted Jan 31, 2011:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/218574-built-gold-trap-sluice.html

My vortex matting highbanker with raised expanded/carpeting with a Fluid bed trap on the end posted Jun 01, 2011:

Eastern US Prospectors :: Log in

Goodyguys DIY Fluid Bed Gold Trap posted Oct 14, 2011:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/263238-my-diy-fluid-bed-gold-trap-sluice.html

My Bucket Highbanker with Fluidized Hydraulic Riffles posted Dec 20, 2011:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/d...ghbanker-hydraulic-fluidized-bed-riffles.html

My Low profile DIY fluid bed highbanker /sluice posted on Jan 04, 2012:

My even lower profile DIY fluid bed sluice posted on Jan 13, 2012:

My DIY Double flared fluid bed sluice with 3 chambers posted May 04, 2012:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...ouble-flared-fluid-bed-sluice-3-chambers.html

Note that you might have to join the other forum to see the posts, but it is free to join. I posted most of those builds here too but I cant find the links for them offhand. There's also several other threads on how to make a gold trap sluice floating around and I am sure Goodyguy has more builds as well I just did not see them in a search for 'bazooka gold sluice' here. If others can post them that would be great.

mapatrin

Dec 15, 2012
Thanks guys that's so much help, still don't understand the science but if it work it works lol

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys that's so much help, still don't understand the science but if it work it works lol

The water squirting through holes in the tubes located in the trap keeps the trapped material liquified enough that the heavies sink to the bottom (kind of like a rock sinking in quicksand) while the lighter material constantly gets washed out the overflow port.

mapatrin

Dec 15, 2012
Because I'm in the uk and the gold spots are remote I need to make a portable trap I like the manifold idea as I can make the trap in 2 parts, also like the multi compartment idea THANKS guys. Wish I was in USA looks so much more fun prospecting compared to the uk lol
@ Goodguy just a thought for you highbanker. Could you make the base underneath the actual trap sink shaped ( very slightly angled to one point) with a large tube connected to a plug hole with a stop valve then you can stop the water flow empty the trap of all it's material easily, close the stop tap and restart the water would this work ?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodguy just a thought for you highbanker. Could you make the base underneath the actual trap sink shaped ( very slightly angled to one point) with a large tube connected to a plug hole with a stop valve then you can stop the water flow empty the trap of all it's material easily, close the stop tap and restart the water would this work ?

YES! In fact I discussed that idea in detail in a thread posted some time ago for use in an add on trap for a commercial washplant sluice(s)
Something I believe all commercial washplants should have installed at the end of their sluices that could save tens of thousands of dollars worth of fine gold loss.

GG~

mapatrin

Dec 15, 2012
Quick one lads . fisher 1236 or xp goldmaxx ? Aluminium ordered £25 for 1mx1mx2mm just got to put it together now lol thanks guys ;)

mapatrin

Dec 15, 2012
@astro you have compartment in your fluid bed would it help if I angle the partition pieces in the fluid bed so when the sluice is set up the partition is vertical . Also tubes in middle with holes in each side or against the edges with holes only in one side , I have design my sluice with the trap 1/5 the size of the sluice will this give enough power to the fluid bed ? Sorry and thanks l

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread