6 BOX SKUNK and almost all MARKED COINS

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Did 6 Boxes today and another 6 box skunk here in Minnesota. On top of that, almost every coin was marked. Even the BU coins from the 70's, 80's, 90's and NIFC'S..MARKED! Seriously, people I understand marking coins and the significance of that(since I do it myself), but why do you need to mark AU-BU coins??? This is the third week in a row that somebody is doing this. I mark 1971 and 1976 coins that are Very Fine condition or less. This way I am not hurting the chances of another collector getting an Uncirculated coin and upgrading their collection. It would be nice if people think about others a little more before doing these types of things. Just needed to get this off my chest.

Hope everybody has a Merry Christmas and happy hunting, JJ

Upvote 0

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah thats not right JJ. In my area it appears that someone (Brinks or who knows???) is cleaning the coins. Begining about 6 or 7 weeks ago all the coins were unmarked (before that it was typical to get more than half the coins with marks). Now quit a few look like they have been sandblasted, or more likely put through a tumbler or something like that.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah thats not right JJ. In my area it appears that someone (Brinks or who knows???) is cleaning the coins. Begining about 6 or 7 weeks ago all the coins were unmarked (before that it was typical to get more than half the coins with marks). Now quit a few look like they have been sandblasted, or more likely put through a tumbler or something like that.

It might be someone cleaning them personally.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been running into a pretty fair number of green (various shades) and pink/red painted coins lately. Still getting burned coins as well, just not as many.

Rascal

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
what were the marks? I got a NIFC with a line behind the head

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a hundred or so halves with large holes drilled in the middles a few weeks ago. I guess they are melting down the metal for scrap?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Takes some effort to drill holes in coins, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal to deface coins/currency.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
If people want to mark their coins, which I think is seriously wrong, but if you want to do it just one time to check and see if you are getting your own dumps, why not mark the edges with permanent marker. Just a dash, not the whole edge and you can still edge hunt and find out at the same time if you are getting bad pickups or not.

Sincerely, Garoulady

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A few weeks ago I got a 1964 half with a hole drilled in the center. It was a bittersweet find because I couldn't believe someone would deface it like that. I guess it was somewhat a confirmation to see the 90% silver content.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
A few weeks ago I got a 1964 half with a hole drilled in the center. It was a bittersweet find because I couldn't believe someone would deface it like that. I guess it was somewhat a confirmation to see the 90% silver content.

Maybe it was for jewelry.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Takes some effort to drill holes in coins, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal to deface coins/currency.

It's not, unless you do it for fraudulent purposes. Drilling holes in coins is a gray area, since you can melt the pieces for scrap.

OP
OP
J

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Somebody is marking the edges with three lines. Some are black, others are red. It's pretty inconsiderate when people mark AU or better coins. It would be nice if people can think about others once in awhile. I totally understand marking VF or worse coins and the concept of it.

Maybe this new year people can start doing this so others can fill some of their collections with nice coins.

Happy New Year everybody, JJ

what were the marks? I got a NIFC with a line behind the head

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
JJ, I've seen the same marks on too many of my coins as well. Weird. Not only is someone totally overdoing it, but they are wasting a considerable amount of their time marking SO many coins when all they need to do is be more specific and only mark a few, select number of coins. Please people...don't deface AU-BU coins.

On another note JJ...how are your MN skunks coming along? I've had one 40% out of my last 14 boxes. I'm back up to 11 skunks in a row. Pathetic.

OP
OP
J

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Brush,

I saw a lot of green marks on beautiful NIFC'S this week. I don't know why people have to make marks on these coins. My guess it's the same person marking all these coins in green, red, and black. I never saw these markings a few months ago.

I have had some great success with dimes. My average is about 1.5 silvers per box. Sorry, you have hit so many skunks with the half dollars. Try dimes!!

Happy New Year and HH Everybody, JJ
JJ, I've seen the same marks on too many of my coins as well. Weird. Not only is someone totally overdoing it, but they are wasting a considerable amount of their time marking SO many coins when all they need to do is be more specific and only mark a few, select number of coins. Please people...don't deface AU-BU coins.

On another note JJ...how are your MN skunks coming along? I've had one 40% out of my last 14 boxes. I'm back up to 11 skunks in a row. Pathetic.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin markers are just making the unmarked clad coins that much more rare.

I think people making the distinction between marking BU coins, and marking circulated coin is hilarious. Who is searching boxes of halves for NIFCs? If you are, you will do excellent, despite all the peeps marking coins.

I have never marked a coin, BTW.

OP
OP
J

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
I have been doing this for a couple years now and it's uncommon to find people marking NIFC'S and BU Coins. I am pretty sure that it's somebody who just started doing this a few months ago. Hopefully, he stops because there are people who do collect and sell halves outside of just silver.

The coin markers are just making the unmarked clad coins that much more rare.

I think people making the distinction between marking BU coins, and marking circulated coin is hilarious. Who is searching boxes of halves for NIFCs? If you are, you will do excellent, despite all the peeps marking coins.

I have never marked a coin, BTW.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread