6 boxes of nickels

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
After dumping two boxes of skunky halves I had to deposit $400 back into my savings. I usually would have just picked up some dimes but how long would the search last? I wanted to have something to search for the weekend and then through Christmas. I decided to just go big on nickels. I had only searched one box and then $80 in loose rolled nickels before. I found a nice buffalo in the loose rolls and two buffaloes and a war in the box. I was hoping for similar averages so I picked up six boxes.

image-2880973138.jpg
I'm through the first 5 boxes. The box on the bottom right is a bank wrapped box which never produces anything for any denomination. I will try to swap it out on Christmas Eve.
Box 1: dateless buff
Box 2: skunk
Box 3: 2 war nicks
Box 4: skunk
Box 5: skunk
These are pretty depressing results. I'm hopping that the last box will pick up the slack. I was hoping to get at least 4 buffs and war nicks.

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
After dumping two boxes of skunky halves I had to deposit $400 back into my savings. I usually would have just picked up some dimes but how long would the search last? I wanted to have something to search for the weekend and then through Christmas. I decided to just go big on nickels. I had only searched one box and then $80 in loose rolled nickels before. I found a nice buffalo in the loose rolls and two buffaloes and a war in the box. I was hoping for similar averages so I picked up six boxes.

View attachment 715706
I'm through the first 5 boxes. The box on the bottom right is a bank wrapped box which never produces anything for any denomination. I will try to swap it out on Christmas Eve.
Box 1: dateless buff
Box 2: skunk
Box 3: 2 war nicks
Box 4: skunk
Box 5: skunk
These are pretty depressing results. I'm hopping that the last box will pick up the slack. I was hoping to get at least 4 buffs and war nicks.

You aren't even going to try the other box?

OP
OP
44_Dimes

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You aren't even going to try the other box?

There is no use in trying it in my opinion. Either the re-rolling machine culls the silver or they are just all dumps. Most likely both. I doesn't seem very likely to me that they would have 50 rolls of nickels turned in by the average customer. There is a chance that I would still find a lot of Buffaloes if it is not all dumps but I still think I would be better off swapping it for another box. HH

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no use in trying it in my opinion. Either the re-rolling machine culls the silver or they are just all dumps. Most likely both. I doesn't seem very likely to me that they would have 50 rolls of nickels turned in by the average customer. There is a chance that I would still find a lot of Buffaloes if it is not all dumps but I still think I would be better off swapping it for another box. HH

how many boxes have you tried that are like that? I know if it were me (and I know it's not me, so don't think I'm telling you what to do, lol) I would still search the box unless I knew for a fact that it was a dump. That's just me though. You must live in an area that's hit pretty hard for nickels though if you only got that from your boxes. :(

OP
OP
44_Dimes

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
how many boxes have you tried that are like that? I know if it were me (and I know it's not me, so don't think I'm telling you what to do, lol) I would still search the box unless I knew for a fact that it was a dump. That's just me though. You must live in an area that's hit pretty hard for nickels though if you only got that from your boxes. :(

I'm hoping that it was just a bad draw. I have never had a nickel box like that but I have had a few loose rolls of nickels and a few boxes of halves and dimes.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver nicks are the same weight. They would beed a comparator to cull silver nickles.

OP
OP
44_Dimes

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Swapped it out for a box from the feds this morning and... another skunk.

alligator69

Aug 31, 2012
I got 5 silver war nicks in a box yesterday. Dont give up and keep looking for that epic box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions