the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I am still frustrated with my 6" coil after upgrade,
I don't want to roll back as i Enjoy the benefits with 11" coil

I wrote to Minicab Tech support asking if they where aware of situation and if they were working on a fix

I included a list of some of the comments on this subject in the past

I know it might just be a consequence of improving one thing another goes bad, but its worth try

please post your experiences here, if you've experienced bad 2 directional falses after upgrade with 6" coil in Iron

as I want to pass it on to them

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the 6" with update is horrendous on two-way iron falsing, in my experiences. The falsing is so convincing of a good target that it is impossible to ignore. It also gives crisp high tones on hotter rocks at the beach that sound like small silver. I couldn't find any way around it, so I rolled the software back and haven't looked back. The 6" with the stock software is killer. Yeah, the depth meter is iffy, but after 9 months of using this machine, I've learned to listen for depth vs staring at the meter. Yeah, I might miss a large silver sitting perfectly 90 degrees vertically, but I'm ok with that. I'm having my best year ever using the stock software with both 11" and 6" coils. Roll it back, my dude.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kind of found the same thing, after going back & forth, I just left it in the "stock software". I'm fine with it. Depth gauge? never have paid much attention them, to many different factors involved.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I finally Rolled Back
and 6" is productive again, hadn't a chance to post before and after shots, but tested on same site before rolling back

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had my first hunt with the 6in today. It seemed to do its job normally. No falsing, and founds lots of coins (in tough iron) previously missed with the stock coil. I started using the same sens I run in that area with the stock, then found I could nudge it up a bit.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that the 6” coil with the upgrade wasn’t as good and am now going back to factory settings.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats great for you, I have found from chatting about this on 2 forums some people where not effected by the change, while others where,
I finally decided to roll back, but before doing so , I ran 2 tests on 2 sites i hunted out with 11" first with new software, i covered a 20x 20 areas,and found nails two way false and large iron items, rolled back and found 5 buttons and a shoe buckle at one site , and 2 colonial 1/2 pennies at the other,
I since have been going over all my old sites with the 5' in thicjk iron and am finding stuff, I resisted rolling back fora long time as the silver on edge etc that came with new software, but it got to the stage, my 6" was obsolete, Calabash sold his for this very reason, I really wanted to have the opportunity to find mote items a iron infested cellar holes so I am glad I rolled back, the difference is night and day

Trailertrash

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any opinion on a roll back for Gold 1/2, and the 6"? I'm just learning the ropes with the 800, and I am new to detecting in general. No nuggets yet, but I am finding minscule pieces of lead, iron, and other trash. If I can get the coil over a nugget, I have some confidence I will hear it. I have no real complaints about the update, as my machine came pre loaded with the new software. It does seem to false at every little bump, but I am blaming myself, or my choice of settings, at this point.
I just don't want to "leave anything on the table", so to speak.
Hadn't seen an old/new software discussion on Gold mode, so I thought I'd ask here.
Thanks, Kyle

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are searching for natural gold, just stick with the new program. What people are complaining about is iron falsing when searching for non-ferrous amongst ferrous junk. Gold mode does not use tone ID only visual ID for targets, so you are less susceptible. Plus gold mode uses Iron Bias at 6 which further reduces iron falsing. If you were searching for high conductors or mid-conductive relics amongst iron junk with the 6" coil some prefer the old software, others are ok with the new. That is a toss up call you need to determine by your own experience. But for gold prospecting just go with the new software.

Trailertrash

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I will stick with the software I have. It it very cool that Minelab designed this detector to accept software changes.
Wife and I spent 3 hours nugget hunting today. No nuggets, but both the 800, and the new Gold Monster we're picking up targets so small, it's ridiculous. Once I learn enough to put myself in a good area, both of these machines will shine!
Regards, Kyle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread