$6 in gas for free....

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hello all......stopped and filled up my gas can this afternoon for my mower (2 gallons, 6 bucks) and went to the Hess booth to pay for it.....put 12 clad halves in the tray (always got some spare halves kicking around the center console area) and the lady says "I can't take these" ....and asks me for 6 bucks cash.......I said " You won't take money from me?".......She said (I swear) "These are like novelty things"........Now I got 2 people behind me and I do have about 30 bucks in my wallet but (on principle) I told her I didn't have anything but these halves and I said "Would you take 24 quarters from me??"......she said "Sure, I'll take quarters"......I said, "You'll take 24 quarters but you won't take 12 halves???!@!!???!!!"......she said "No, I won't, 6 dollars please (super rudely!)......Politely told her that I would have go run home (10 miles) and get her 6 bucks and she says "O.K."......Put the gas can in my trunk...................and I'm not going back.

Yes, this is wrong, stealing and all of that so that statement should eliminate everyone telling me how horrible I am.......Let her tell the station owner why she is 6 bucks short in the register.....let the comments fly.... ;D

HH all
Greg

Upvote 0

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I'm not going to give you a hard time about the gas, I can't believe the bimbo woman didn't know halves were legal tender, and called them a novelty item! As Bugs Bunny would say "What a maroon!"

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
I had a cashier at McDonald's refuse 4 Sacajawea dollars - she asked the manager, and HE said they weren't real. Left without my "Food". You'd think a Manager would know what they were!
They're fun to leave as tips, too, and most stamp machines give them as change!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a Hand full of Mercs (Very Worn) to the store once.
the Girl asked what they were.
I say'd "Mercury Dimes" :).
She said "we Don't take those". :o
I said "Yes you do". 8)
she said, "I'll need to talk to the Manager". :o
She came back Shortly & said, "we can take them".
I said "I Know" ;D

Made me feel old. :D

The Manager Detects, so Unfortunately, My plan to get them out in
Circulation, Probably never happend :(

I used to Like slipping Defunct/worn silver Coins into Circulation,
Before the Value of silver went up.

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida
Sure hope she didn;t take your plate number down! Pretty sure your state is one that revokes licenses for skipping on gas!
Especially if she had an attitude in the first place, she may be worse when she realized you skipped!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and of course she's going to say you tried to pay with Novelty things , Not Money if she don't know what Halves Are.

so her Boss Isn't necessarily Going to Flip at her.

Except maby for letting you go.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
1235ce, be careful. As others said, she could call the cops and say you were a drive off. What you should have done is said that you would leave the half dollars as collateral and you would drive home and get the bills to replace them. Then don't come back. Not slamming you, I just don't wanna see you get in trouble.

soldierman

May 18, 2006
Here in TN they will pull you licescenes if caught and possible jail time. I don't think you could get cop to pick up halves for you to search either. I would have her call a bank then left the halves there.

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Michigan is one of those states too... they have stickers from the Michigan State Police on the pumps that say, "Driveoffs Don't Drive".
Please go make it right!
HH,
Bob

OP
OP
1235CE

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
O.K., fine, (he says dejectedly)......went back to Hess about 15 minutes ago and gave the same lady 6 bucks (6 1's ;)) and said I was sorry I couldn't make it back last night.....she was nicer today and said "thanks no problem".....So I asked her, (because it still irked me, it was mostly embarrassing because of the people in line behind me) "Have you really never seen a half dollar before?".....she says "No I have only seen the gold dollars but my husband told me I could have taken them from you".... I said "No problem, have a nice day"

End of story.........but my wife checked my pockets for SBA's before I went back this morning.... ;D

HH all
Greg

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RatRacer said:
I had a cashier at McDonald's refuse 4 Sacajawea dollars - she asked the manager, and HE said they weren't real. Left without my "Food". You'd think a Manager would know what they were!
They're fun to leave as tips, too, and most stamp machines give them as change!

Me bieng new here in the states .. can i see a pic of those please

USTiger

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sacajawea ;

Slightly Larger then a Quarter.

VERY Ugly coin In My Opinion.

Attachments

• c1_1.jpg
    c1_1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 400

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Sacajawea ;

Slightly Larger then a Quarter.

VERY Ugly coin In My Opinion.

thanks m8 .. do you have a flip side pic to m8 ..

USTiger

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, Got Sidetracked & Forgot :P

And I should say the Obverse isn't as ugly as the Susan B's :P

Give me a Nice Seated , Standing or Walking Liberty any day ;)

Attachments

• final_rev.gif
    final_rev.gif
    56.5 KB · Views: 392
  • sbadollar.gif
    sbadollar.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 339

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to Hear everything got Straightened out Greg.

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
jeff of pa said:
I took a Hand full of Mercs (Very Worn) to the store once.
the Girl asked what they were.
I say'd "Mercury Dimes" :).
She said "we Don't take those". :o
I said "Yes you do". 8)
she said, "I'll need to talk to the Manager". :o
She came back Shortly & said, "we can take them".
I said "I Know" ;D

Made me feel old. :D

The Manager Detects, so Unfortunately, My plan to get them out in
Circulation, Probably never happend :(

I used to Like slipping Defunct/worn silver Coins into Circulation,
Before the Value of silver went up.

Lol, Jeff. If you ever need some help getting silver into circulation again just let me know, il send you a few clad dimes for a few mercs any day! (i cant gurantee that they will all make circulation though..).

The only time i have ever gotten a half dollar in change was at a coin show... figures. :P

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would've had a hard time going back there if she wasn't going to accept legal tender.... Now I'm motivated to start paying for more of my purchases with halves ;)

A

Aguila

That is just too gosh darned funny!!!!!!!!I think I will try doing that just to see what the reaction is. I am the kind of person that has no quelms whatsoever with re-educating our countries generation"x"

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aguila said:
That is just too gosh darned funny!!!!!!!!I think I will try doing that just to see what the reaction is. I am the kind of person that has no quelms whatsoever with re-educating our countries generation"x"

Easy now... I'm a part of the Gen X... haha, although I'm a bit more educated than most other my age... It's truly sad just how DUMB people my age are.... most don't know their 7 continents or anything about the world... let alone about our very own monetary system!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread