Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greeting fellow treasurehunters. Well, today was a great day detecting in the woods even though it is suppose to be the dead of winter. Yes it is January and 45 degrees, but that didn't stop me and my grandson Jacob, and good friend Jesse from getting out.

Decided to hit the now defunct swimming pool in the woods, in the village of "Morea" Pennsylvania, circa 1940. Lots of scratches from briar bushes, but that didn't stop us from pulling out some period silver and wheaties today.

Total take for the 2 outings (8hrs) are 5 mercury dimes: 1944, 1944, 1942, 1926, 1943-D.
A 1941-D Washington quarter, and 5 Wheat Cents, '45, '42, '42, '27, '40.

Thanks for looking..........Rich

Attachments

• Morea#2.jpg
    Morea#2.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 1,339
  • Morea#3.jpg
    Morea#3.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 1,406
  • Morea#4.jpg
    Morea#4.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1,383
  • Morea#5.jpg
    Morea#5.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,390
  • Morea#6.jpg
    Morea#6.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,395
  • Morea#7.jpg
    Morea#7.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,418
Upvote 0

Bartol

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2011
Re: Silver & some goodies from the defunct Morea swimmimng pool in the woods

I had a great time we found great stuff.

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bartol said:
I had a great time we found great stuff.

It will get better when it gets warmer, was a bit windy and chilly today.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks like you had a great day! Mutable silver like that really make your day! Way to go! :icon_thumleft:

Hate to rub it in, it was about 70 degrees today here in northern Calif.!

Digginbingo

Jan 8, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice. I have been to your neck of the woods once or twice... not to detect though. Good finds.
That pool looks old. how long has it been abandoned?

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice spot, and cool diggs

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digginbingo said:
Nice. I have been to your neck of the woods once or twice... not to detect though. Good finds.
That pool looks old. how long has it been abandoned?

Don't actually know when exactly it was abandoned, all the silver and wheat cents are dated 1944 and below, so I'm guessing mid 40's. If it was still in operation later than than 1945, we'd be finding Rooselvelt Dimes................Rich

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds Rich !

Was just Thinking about that Place Yesterday.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds. Did you have to go through a lot of trash to get that? Looks like a pretty trashy area.

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Nice finds Rich!! Congrats on the silver!! Gotta love the winter we have had so far!!

Dave

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Though it's always a good day when you find silver, but you're in Pennsylvania with over 300 years of history. There's got to be much older colonial and 19th century sites you can hunt.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich, If you can figure out were the parking lot was.........

That's where the mother load is.

My buddie Weaver turned me on to a place like you are hunting that was

supposed to be hunted out in the 70's. I didn't start hunting it until 2000 and I ended up digging 3 or 4 nice rings and around

$5.00 in silver including two Standing Liberty Quarters. The first time I went I wanted to hunt all around the lake and consession

stand and Weaver took me over to this big old field, I thought he was crazy until he dug a Walking liberty half in the

first 5 minutes , I didn't know him that well at the time and I thought he had brought it with him, Well to make a long story short

he found $1.35 in silver that day and probably a JAR full of fairly old silver in the year or so before he turned me onto it. We were

so i-g-norant at the time we couldn't figure out why all these coins were out in the field. I was at the library one day checking on

something else and just stumbled onto an old aerial of this place and there were about 300 cars parked in this old field, mystery

solved.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
matt092079 said:
Good finds. Did you have to go through a lot of trash to get that? Looks like a pretty trashy area.
that was my thought on the site pics.good job if it was trashy!

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matt092079 said:

Well, the area is somewhat trashy in spots, but not all areas. Beer & soda cans, pulltabs, wire, nails, pipes, screwcaps, etc. have been left by the partiers, combined with stickers and briar bushes make detecting somewhat difficult, but hey, sometimes ya have to deal with the bad stuff to get the good stuff..........Rich

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deno said:
Rich, If you can figure out were the parking lot was.........

That's where the mother load is.

My buddie Weaver turned me on to a place like you are hunting that was

supposed to be hunted out in the 70's. I didn't start hunting it until 2000 and I ended up digging 3 or 4 nice rings and around

$5.00 in silver including two Standing Liberty Quarters. The first time I went I wanted to hunt all around the lake and consession

stand and Weaver took me over to this big old field, I thought he was crazy until he dug a Walking liberty half in the

first 5 minutes , I didn't know him that well at the time and I thought he had brought it with him, Well to make a long story short

he found $1.35 in silver that day and probably a JAR full of fairly old silver in the year or so before he turned me onto it. We were

so i-g-norant at the time we couldn't figure out why all these coins were out in the field. I was at the library one day checking on

something else and just stumbled onto an old aerial of this place and there were about 300 cars parked in this old field, mystery

solved.

Deno, thanks for the info BUT yes, I was looking for the parking area this past weekend but no luck yet. The old iron gate and the old road leading in to the swimmimg pool area is still there, I followed it but just keeps going and going and going away from the pool, haven't spotted anything that might have been a parking area, but I'm not giving up yet. There is a present day baseball field in front of the swimmimg pool area, if that was used as the parking area, then I'm out of luck, because the field has beed bulldozed over from the swimmimg pool hey-days and nothing but clad in that field now, but I could be wrong, and not giving up yet................Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread