Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Curtain Straightener
Make an opening in the bottom hem, slide in a penny or two, and sew the hem back up to keep curtains hanging level and stick-straight.

2. Tread Checker
Insert a penny into a groove of a tire with Lincoln’s head pointing into the tire. If the groove covers part of his head, you’re safe to drive; if the head is in full view, it’s time for new wheels. (The distance between the rim of a penny and Lincoln’s head is 1/16 of an inch―the minimum suggested tread depth.)

3. Table Anchor
If you dine out and the table is unsteady, put a coin under the leg to restore balance.

4. Game Token
Misplaced the thimble? No problem. Sub in a cent.

5. Reader Tip: Makeshift Screwdriver
Use a penny to screw open a toy’s battery pack.
Caroline Brant, Collegeville, Pennsylvania

6. Reader Tip: Birdbath Cleaner
To ward off algae, toss in a few pre-1982 coins; the high copper content retards growth.
Suzanne Wesley, Terre Haute, Indiana

See That.
They are Not Completly Useless :D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
3. Table Anchor
If you dine out and the table is unsteady, put a coin under the leg to restore balance.

Wonder how long that will last? Let's put it this way, if that penny is still there when you go back, I don't think I'll be eating there anymore. :dontknow:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
jeff of pa said:
3. Table Anchor

Wonder how long that will last? Let's put it this way, if that penny is still there when you go back, I don't think I'll be eating there anymore. :dontknow:

I of course would take it with Me
when I Leave.

IF Service is Bad, I'd leave a note.

"Your Tip is under the table Leg, ENJOY"

Hey

7th. Use

Tip for Bad service ;D

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, always carry a badly corroded zincoln with you when you dine out, that way if the service is really bad you can leave IT as a tip! :thumbsup:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
When hanging a cabinet using a cleat type hanger,
if the cabinet is slightly off level (they usually are)
a couple lincoln cents on one side of the cleat will often level it out.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and copper wire was invented by two detectorists fightin over a wheat penny.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
If your ceiling fan wobbles, tape a penny to the correct blade and will balance it. :wink:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
After 38 years of collecting pennies, Mr Knowles has cashed in his collection which totalled a whopping $13,084.59 (ÂŁ7,182.69).

The 1,308,459 one-cent coins - known as pennies - stored in his garage in Alabama, weighed 4,082kg (4 tons).

The 62-year-old said he planned to use the money for his retirement, home repairs and medical expenses.

New collection?

"It takes pennies to make money," he said in a statement. "They're worth something or they wouldn't make them."

Coinstar, a company that maintains coin-counting machines in banks and supermarkets, said Mr Knowles had broken a previous record of 1,048,013 held by a man from Ohio.

Mr Knowles, who runs a petrol station, started collecting pennies in a small jug shortly after getting married in 1966.

The coins soon filled a five-gallon (19 litre) can, then a 55-gallon (208 litre) drum. In the end, the pennies were storied in seven large oil barrels.

However, after years of patient collecting, Mr Knowles said he was tired of the copper coins.

"I don't ever want to see another penny," he said. "Perhaps I'll collect a few dimes."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4619605.stm

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I would not suggest to do it but I have seen someone use a penny as a spacer to hold the 9v battery tight in a wireless microphone. For the record this particular microphone cost about $5,000.00

S

stefen

The lowly penny was also, and may still be, used to replace electrical fuses.

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
Spooky said:
The U.S. Mint produces 1040 pennies per second, which adds up to 30 million per day. This is over two-thirds of all the coins produced by the U.S. Mint.
It is estimated there may be 150 billion pennies in circulation.

WRONG! The U.S. Mint does not produce/mint any pennies-(pennies are used in the U.K.)
The U.S. Mint does produce/mint cents for U.S. currency

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread