6 years in the dirt...1st trip to the sand...HELP!!

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Hey all....I have been detecting for 6 years and thus far have only hunted parks, ballfields, picnic groves....etc. Going to Wildwood Crest in two weeks to try my Etrac at the beach. Now, I'm not looking for anyone to give away their "hotspot", was just wondering it I could pick up some basic "newb" tips for the trip. I am clueless to the ways of the water, do you hunt before high tide or after high tide......is the wetness behind my ears showing....LOL!!

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks

Dave

Upvote 0

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt dry sand all day and hit low tide twice to get the items normally out of reach without a water detector. Careful with that E-Trac in the surf.

You'll need a sand scoop for dry sand. I started with a homemade handheld scoop, made out of a animal feed scoop, but constant bending takes a toll. I now have a 28" SS sifter scoop and it's great. You may be able to use it in wet sand but I bring along a trowel to dig there. Once you get real serious you'll want to get a water detector and long handled scoop for heavy duty water digging.

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto above, good advice.

Also, a pair of sunglasses so you can check out the "sandcastles" without being noticed :)

HH, Aaron

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach hunting is about playing the percentages. Busiest beaches and best hunting machines maximize the odds in your favor. Here are some tips:

1. If you are hunting wet sand, hunt on the outgoing tide. Usually two to three hours before low and an hour or so after are best.
2. AS advised be careful with your machine, don't turn your back on the surf.
3. Find out where the busiest beaches are/were and work those beaches. If possible find out where people were swimming. Hunt the shallow water there. The beaches are busier up in Wildwood.
4. The towel line is a great place to hunt after folks have gone home or before they get there in the morning.
6. Wildwood Crest and Wildwood are notoriously flat. That makes for some tough hunting. if you see any cuts in the beach, work them.
7. Walk slowly and work a W pattern from the waterline to the high tide mark. As you dig targets look down beach at where you've walked. A pattern may emerge representing a find line. Most of these lines are 20 to 30 feet wide. Work that line along the beach.
8. Just to drive yourself crazy, take a roadtrip to AC.

Good luck!!!!!

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would Atlantic City drive you crazy? Too much trash?

OP
OP
DKinPA

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Thanks for the tips guys!! I really appreciate it!

N2....I picked up a galvanized sand scoop at my local dealer for like $25.00, I know galvanized has a shorter shelf life than stainless but I want to grow into this beach hunting investment because it may only be a once a year thing. I also picked up a "protector" style cover for the E on Ebay so I can at least attempt to protect against sand and spray, I'm sure I'll keep the E a safe distance from the water while I'm there.

TJC....thank you very much for the tide info, I knew there was a "right" way to hunt the tide but did not know what that way was. I also appreciate the info regarding the pattern and the towel line!! I'm not looking to get rich while I'm there but knowing these small things may give me better odds at being somewhat productive!

Thanks again guys!

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions