Juky 20th 67 coins 35-d wheatie.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 627
Upvote 0

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
where do you go to find 100 coins? gee whiz! most I found ever was 40 and I thought that was an awesome day!

you're not hunting the bottoms of those wishing wells in the mall again are you? :)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
67 coins from WHITE'S....I have never seen a Minelab user or any other brand find as many coins as you do.

WHITE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Copperhead said:
Hey Gregg, good to see some wheaties poping up in your finds...nice job..

Thanks all of a sudden the wheaties are hitting for me have quite a plateful for year! :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
KirkPA said:
67 coins from WHITE'S....I have never seen a Minelab user or any other brand find as many coins as you do.

WHITE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirk not sure where Dave and the other boys have been lately...maybe out detecting to much! Have not had any fun with the exploder users lately! They know its all in good fun... ;)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
KirkPA said:

WHITE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you haven't checked my posts out...or many others. Gregg digs a ton of pennies, I don't care to. I found 147 coins today with my Minelab including 13 wheats and silver. Gregg does alot of digging and I enjoy his posts, but Minelabs, Garretts, Bount Hunters, and any other brand can find a ton of coins, many just dont have the oppertunity to get out, or like me, just not going to dig shallow half eaten memorial cents you can't even spend! I'm just a few hundred behind Gregg and don't get out as often, others are close NOT using a Whites finding close to what Gregg finds. Your statement was just so off I had to respond, 67 coins which half are pennies isn't great at all, it bending down alot for pennies. Gregg has a goal and those pennies will get him there, but its not the detector getting him there, its Gregg getting out time and again digging those coins!!

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Jack(IN) said:
KirkPA said:

WHITE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you haven't checked my posts out...or many others. Gregg digs a ton of pennies, I don't care to. I found 147 coins today with my Minelab including 13 wheats and silver. Gregg does alot of digging and I enjoy his posts, but Minelabs, Garretts, Bount Hunters, and any other brand can find a ton of coins, many just dont have the oppertunity to get out, or like me, just not going to dig shallow half eaten memorial cents you can't even spend! I'm just a few hundred behind Gregg and don't get out as often, others are close NOT using a Whites finding close to what Gregg finds. Your statement was just so off I had to respond, 67 coins which half are pennies isn't great at all, it bending down alot for pennies. Gregg has a goal and those pennies will get him there, but its not the detector getting him there, its Gregg getting out time and again digging those coins!!

Jack I am sure Kirk was joking!!! ;) Oh I would have cleared 100 easy today but strained back ended the hunt! :( If you do not dig the shallow zincs...how do you get the coins beneath them please share with all of us... ;D

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
It's not the detector that's getting the coins. Everyone has their own opinion of which detector is best. It's the person behind the machine that matters, how well they know their machine, how often they get out to use it, and their preference of targets. I prefer to pass up the zinc myself, but not the copper. There are some of us who get out every day if possible, and by doing so, get to know our machine. I also, am not far behind on the count, and I think you are doing a darn good job. Congrats on the finds. Get some rest, I know that pain in the back well. Tomorrow is another day.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
DFX-Gregg said:
Jack I am sure Kirk was joking!!! ;) Oh I would have cleared 100 easy today but strained back ended the hunt! :( If you do not dig the shallow zincs...how do you get the coins beneath them please share with all of us... ;D

When I hunt clad, I am usually where there are very few deep coins and I can tell a deep one from a shallow coin. When I hunt for older coins Gregg, I have to dig those shallow coins because have found Indians at one Park that come in at 1-3 inches. I dig everything deep and it tends to be alot of junk as well because deep is going to be dug, bad or good signal! ;D I'm also sure he was joking, but the comment was so wrong!! You getting out, even when you may not want to has your totals up. I also know and have said I probably will miss a ring or two because I'm not digging all those pennies, but if you look at your memorial cents, you know many of those are trashed. As a matter of fact, I don't count a roten memorial as a coin, its in my junk pile and not counted! >:(

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like that little heart!~ Congrats on all those finds!

Nana :)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Gregg, decent hunt. I am feeling your pain - a little sore back myself after a 5 hour hunt.

What do you run your preamp gain, AC and DC sensitivity at? Gotta go with 4, 80+ and 40+ or you might miss those deep ones.

Kirk - WHITE's Rules and Minelabs drool! ;D :D A little biased are we? ;) Almost every hunt Nate and I (Explorer vs DFX) come away with the same number of coins. Nate does get a little more clad and I tend to get a little more 'deeper' coins but it's very close each time.

Bob

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
I'm just joking around, dudes. I know every machine can find that clad. HH!

By the way, in my own mind, WHITE'S RULES! gahgahgah

Foiled Again

Oct 30, 2006
Thunder Bay Ontario
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Explorer SE Pro
Thought I would comment on this post. As a DFX user for the last 3 seasons, I have formed some opinions about this machine and metal detecting in general.
1. Metal detectors are crude and primitive devices. Although I haven't any experience with the Minelabs, it seems like they find the best stuff. Too bad Apple computers does not get involved in building metal detectors. Maybe then they would work right.
2. I find over 100 coins a day with my DFX on a regular basis. Trouble is, 90% of those are modern pennies. It cannot reliably identify other modern Canadian coins.
3. As for cranking the DFX up to preamp gain 4. Never happens within city limits or within 10 miles of a power line without it being totally unstable. When it is unstable, it is useless.
4. The DFX finds lots of stuff up to 3 inches and can sometimes even identify what it is. It can find small articles of silver the size of a flea under 3 inches but does find deep silver. I am deducing this because I find many copper coins from the 40's and 50's but hardly any silver from that era.
5. The DFX can't tell the difference between silver and a rusty nail.
6. Experimenting in my yard I buried a silver quarter at various depths. The DFX could identify it at depths up to three inches, after that it had no idea what it was. At 6 inches it just made a "tick" sound and could not pinpoint it. Guess what though: I dragged out my Classic III and it found it, no problem and pinpointed it exactly although it could not tell me what it was of course. I used my custom program to look for the quarter and every other program built into the machine with the same results.
7. The DFX could not find a silver dime at 6 inches or the silver quarter at 7 inches.
8. However, it could see a large copper penny at 6 inches and knew what it was.
9. I use tone ID. Strange that the DFX makes its happiest tune when it finds a zinc penny!!
10. The DFX is no good at all in wet freshwater beach sand but it is good in dry sand.
These are my opinions at this point in my metal detecting career and are just opinions. I think serious metal detectorist need to own 3 machines. The DFX for fast searching of shallow targets, the Explorer SE for finding deep targets and one of the underwater machines for the beach.
Love this forum. Will post some of my finds with the DFX in the next few weeks.

Foiled Again.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Foiled Again said:
Thought I would comment on this post. As a DFX user for the last 3 seasons, I have formed some opinions about this machine and metal detecting in general.
1. Metal detectors are crude and primitive devices. Although I haven't any experience with the Minelabs, it seems like they find the best stuff. Too bad Apple computers does not get involved in building metal detectors. Maybe then they would work right.
2. I find over 100 coins a day with my DFX on a regular basis. Trouble is, 90% of those are modern pennies. It cannot reliably identify other modern Canadian coins.
3. As for cranking the DFX up to preamp gain 4. Never happens within city limits or within 10 miles of a power line without it being totally unstable. When it is unstable, it is useless.
4. The DFX finds lots of stuff up to 3 inches and can sometimes even identify what it is. It can find small articles of silver the size of a flea under 3 inches but does find deep silver. I am deducing this because I find many copper coins from the 40's and 50's but hardly any silver from that era.
6. Experimenting in my yard I buried a silver quarter at various depths. The DFX could identify it at depths up to three inches, after that it had no idea what it was. At 6 inches it just made a "tick" sound and could not pinpoint it. Guess what though: I dragged out my Classic III and it found it, no problem and pinpointed it exactly although it could not tell me what it was of course. I used my custom program to look for the quarter and every other program built into the machine with the same results.
7. The DFX could not find a silver dime at 6 inches or the silver quarter at 7 inches.
9. I use tone ID. Strange that the DFX makes its happiest tune when it finds a zinc penny!!
10. The DFX is no good at all in wet freshwater beach sand but it is good in dry sand.
These are my opinions at this point in my metal detecting career and are just opinions. I think serious metal detectorist need to own 3 machines. The DFX for fast searching of shallow targets, the Explorer SE for finding deep targets and one of the underwater machines for the beach.

Foiled Again.

Is this suppose to be a praise to White's or Minelab? ??? gahgahgah

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Foiled Again said:

Foiled Again.

I own both the DFX and an EXPII. You pretty much nailed it.

I'll just add this. The Minelab detector is much heavier and harder to pinpoint with.

EXPII is for old deep coins and relics. The DFX is for jewelry and shallow stuff.

I also agree with you about water machines. I'd get one of those too, but I'm afraid of sea monsters. :D

Ridley

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Mirage said:
Gregg, decent hunt. I am feeling your pain - a little sore back myself after a 5 hour hunt.

What do you run your preamp gain, AC and DC sensitivity at? Gotta go with 4, 80+ and 40+ or you might miss those deep ones.

Kirk - WHITE's Rules and Minelabs drool! ;D :D A little biased are we? ;) Almost every hunt Nate and I (Explorer vs DFX) come away with the same number of coins. Nate does get a little more clad and I tend to get a little more 'deeper' coins but it's very close each time.

Bob

Bob>>>
Well I continue to find out what works best but ac sens and pag usually run ac sens around 64 to 67 seems to work good and pag >3 most areas....
As far as what foiled again said I have a lot of areas where running the ac at 80 and/or pag above 3 can be a problem.....but I am starting to take a little more time in field and make adjustments as I go along. I was able to run my dfx hot and had pag>4 and ac cranked up in certain areas of the park, was able to hit a bicentennial quarter at 6.5

Now what I don't necessarily agree with what foiled again said....In the dfx classroom over at findmall.com several guys are hitting deeper coins. So thinking the dfx is only good for a few inches is not something I agree with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread