679 Cannonballs found

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i had a 37mm "flare" launcher, the shells loaded perfect with 37mm film canisters, for practice rounds

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantistic find.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me tell you my friend that this is an unbelievable find and I dont know if you know how LUCKY that you are! :o I have had the pleasure of diggin cannonballs and seeing them dug and let me tell you, they are not something that you find everyday and are getting pretty scarce to find this day and age. That being said, this is WAY more balls than I previous knew of being found in one spot...although those were Civil War cannon balls, I would DEFINITELY not turn down Spanish cannonballs. The size and shape of these cannonballs do suggest them to be earlier than the Indian war era as 'bolt' type artillery was used by those times. Congratulations and this is a BANNER if EVER I SAW ONE:

BANNER!!! BANNER!!!! BANNER!!!!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I thought for sure since they were found in California it was figured out they were mill balls? Been awhile since I even seen this one..... Maybe my memory isn't as good as it once was! :tard:

After rereading the whole dang thread, I can't see where it was ever substantiated. Maybe he did find out they were mill balls and never reported back after getting everybody hyped up? I dunno. I would think if they were authenticated as projectiles he'd sure be back to let everybody know.

As easy as it would be to authenticate, I'm surprised! :icon_scratch:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Aw Jeffro...

Drop some powder down the bore, tamp in some wad and roll in a ball, touch 'er off and U got a JEN U WINE cannonball! LoL

I wouldn't doubt they have stuffed everything under the sun in a cannon at one time or other.

I'll bet rocks made an impressive impact!

Sure is a fun thread.

HH
rmptr

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! That is so interesting! Just seeing the shed would have made the trip a blast for me. I say you oughta drill all of the cannonballs and make "Clackers" out of them. (You remember! the 60's/70's toy that used to bash and bruise your forearm). We sure would like to see some pics of the shed, too.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
wow! Look at all thats cannonballs! What an awesome find! You guys must of been really excited when you dug those up off the ground! :thumbsup:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whats the update Abe? Any authentication? Millballs or what? :icon_scratch: :icon_study:

OP
OP
Silverfox

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
I got back surgery done in late December, fused L3, L4 &L5 disc and to this day I'm still having problems putting on my shoes. My Doctor happened to be crazy into machine guns, rifles, heavy artillery and so on. So I gave him the three different sizes to have and place in his office, but instead he sent them out to a guy in Phoenix area and he came to the conclusion that these were SPANISH 18th century cannons. That's all that's been done with them so far. I'm hoping if I get to walking better to go back and take pictures and gather another load, but I would have to have help for sure because of the distance that one has to park.
Thanks for the replys!!!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Old Abe said:
I got back surgery done in late December, fused L3, L4 &L5 disc and to this day I'm still having problems putting on my shoes. My Doctor happened to be crazy into machine guns, rifles, heavy artillery and so on. So I gave him the three different sizes to have and place in his office, but instead he sent them out to a guy in Phoenix area and he came to the conclusion that these were SPANISH 18th century cannons. That's all that's been done with them so far. I'm hoping if I get to walking better to go back and take pictures and gather another load, but I would have to have help for sure because of the distance that one has to park.
Thanks for the replys!!!
Wow! Thanks for the update. Sorry about back.

kycanine

Jul 29, 2007
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like "The Curse Of The Spanish Balls" has taken another victim. Just kidding. Awsome find. And I hope your back is doing better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread