Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met up with a group of guys and gals that I have dug with for about 5 years now. All of our previous hunts were down on the James River in southern VA. We decided to check out a new site this time on the Shenandoah River near Front Royal, VA. After setting up camp on Friday, we bounced around the campground and found lots of clad and trash... as could be expected in a public campground. Saturday morning was spent a few miles south of the campground where they were tearing up both sides of the main road to put in some new lanes. This road has been there for many years and was used by troops on both sides. It became obvious within an hour that too much ground had been moved and barely a signal was had.

After a lunch break and much frustration, we decided to drive around and knock on some doors, hoping for someone to give us permission to hunt their land. Four knocks and no responses... this was turning out to be an unsuccessful weekend so far. We returned to camp and met up with everyone else. At this point on Saturday afternoon, no one had found anything other than trash and clad. A friend of a guy in our group came down and mentioned he had a piece of property just south of the campground along the same old road. Several of our group members had hunted this property earlier in the day and found nothing. So with one last hope of an old find, me and two other guys headed to the site, hoping to salvage something. I headed up an old road off the main road, and cut straight up to the top of the ridge. I got an iffy signal at about 6 inches and decided to dig it, as this was not a very trashy area. I dug the hole, pinpointed, and out came a .69 caliber Minieball in dropped condition. I excitedly walked down and showed it to another guy. The first thing he said was, "There has to be more here!" I headed back up to the ridge and get another signal within minutes. Bam... another dropped .69. At this point, I yelled to the other guys and told them to come in my direction. Again, a few minutes later, another signal, another dropped .69. The three of us hit this hill hard for another hour or so. After we were done, I had dug a total of 13 dropped .69's, and combined we found a total of 26. We determined that this was probably a picket post, as they would have had a prefect view of the road and the river. Perhaps when they were relieved of their duty, rather than hiking down the hill with 10 lbs or so of lead, they dumped their cartidge box on the ground. This would explain why they were all unfired and the of the same caliber.

Finding a single unfired .69 cal is a good day, but I never imagined I would ever dig 13 in a single day! Long story short... or long, it turned out to be a fantastic weekend of relic hunting.

Note the single .69 caliber Enfield Type bullet in the pics...

Attachments

• DSC03555.JPG
    DSC03555.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC03556.JPG
    DSC03556.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC03557.JPG
    DSC03557.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC03558.JPG
    DSC03558.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 3

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jack Pot!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those .69's are a hefty hunk of lead! I'm glad you were able to salvage the trip.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome weekend you had sweeeet bullets!!!

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice run of bulletts....nice hunt

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those .69's are a hefty hunk of lead! I'm glad you were able to salvage the trip.

Steve, I am too, but even if nothing was found, it's still a great time getting together with these guys every couple of months.

TarheelPanner

Mar 26, 2012
Mebane, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a .69 cal musket (pumpkin slinger) and thought those shot balls, while the enfield was .57 caliber and shot the minie ball

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on saving some history! Get out there again soon! Well done!!! :icon_thumleft:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great dig's Jared,nothing like a handful of Big Boy's!!That "Enfield kinda look's a .69 Prussian.Check to see if it has two faint ring's.Congrat's:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great dig's Jared,nothing like a handful of Big Boy's!!That "Enfield kinda look's a .69 Prussian.Check to see if it has two faint ring's.Congrat's:thumbsup:

Thanks man, I will check it out. Didn't have much luck in the field today. In 4 hours, I managed a roundball, fired .54 cal, Spencer cartridge, and what looks like a trigger from a musket, but need to post a picture to confirm.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice.. is this bulletts empty ?

The bullets are just lead, as they were a solitary projectile, with powder added separately. There were several dropped Spencer rounds found that days as well, that contained the powder and brass cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread