7-11 Buffalos And My First Golden George... Treasure Everywhere!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
7-11 Buffalo's And My First Golden George... Treasure Everywhere!

Went out for a quick hunt before dark at a local swimming pool where they had competions today. I have hunted it before but I wanted to see if there was any thing new. I'm glad I did because I found my first golden George dollar swimming pool.JPG
On the way home I had to stop and get my Slurpee fix from the local 7-11 store. When I paid for my drink the clerk said he would "I'll give you one of these Indian nickels" as change. I quickly ask if he had any more in the drawer, and the reply was yes, that someone had just cashed in a a bunch of coins. I told him I would take all he had, which made him happy because he didn't want them in his drawer. I ended up with 6 buffalo nickels, (2) 1927, 1936, 1920, 1937 D, and one I can't make out the date. 5 Indians.JPG 5 Indians2.JPG I also ended up with 2 Ike dollars, some Susans, some Sac dollars, and some Kennedy 1/2 dollars. All and all, it has been a GREAT night! 7-11 Change.JPG

Upvote 0

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 7-11 Buffalo's And My First Golden George... Treasure Everywhere!

Wow, that's as good as knowing someone who works at a bank! I'd keep checking with that guy. Nice grab!

Nat

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Very cool story. Looks like I need to go get aSlurpee... :)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wish I had a 7-11 around here! Man, what a find. Neat post.
Congrats,
MM

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Very cool slurpee finds! How do you metal detect at a swimming pool? Isn't it all cement around it?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

wonder what kid is getting his butt beat right now for getting into grandpas or dads old coin stash? ouch that has to hurt---Ivan

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like you have a good day out - nice finds

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Way to go Thats one lucky day

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very nice finds you have.... Please tell me and a close-up pic if possible.... what is a IKE Dollar, and Susans and SAC Dollars..... I though I had heard and seen them all ??? You learn something new on this great site every day.

God bless
Peter

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

some people have no idea that older coins have more than face value and are collectable. ::) great news for you! nice score!! ;)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Looks like there is treasure everywhere!!

Shame he didn't have any silver or wheats, but I'd still be happy!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005

pgill said:
Very nice finds you have.... Please tell me and a close-up pic if possible.... what is a IKE Dollar, and Susans and SAC Dollars..... I though I had heard and seen them all ??? You learn something new on this great site every day.

God bless
Peter

IKE dollar is large Eisenhower dollar. They were the last of the large silver dollars (though mostly made of clad...just a few rare versions made for collectors that were 40% silver clad). Minted from 1971 to 1978:

1978s_ike_dollar_obv.jpg

Susan is a Susan B. Anthony dollar. Minted 1979 to 1981 and then again in 1999. They are about the size of a quarter, and look similar when not looking closely. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten these in change for a dollar because the cashier was not paying attention.

1980s_sba_dollar_obv.jpg

Sac is a Sacagawea gold dollar (gold-looking..no actual gold, though 12 were minted of gold in 2000 with a W mint mark for the West Point mint but were never released by the mint to the public) minted 2000-2003:

2000s_sac_dollar_obv.jpg

Hope that makes things clear as mud!
;D

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

I have a ton of all these and was contemplating selling them off for my new detector, should I or should I keep them. I get depressed when I go to ebay and see nothing but proofs of the same coins selling for about face value.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

I'd sell them for a new detector if they are not in proof or uncirculated condition. I only keep them for the novelty factor, not value. Plus it's not something you see in change every day.

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great finds!

I'm heading right over to my local 7-11 for a coke surplee.

HH from M2

Attachments

• bravo.gif
    bravo.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 435
  • bravo.gif
    bravo.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 437
R

RUDY2003

Great diggs and nice recoveries piggy!

Keep safe...

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks a lot MalteseFalcon,

Those are realy very nice coins.... funny how a person hears about 3 unusual coins in 1 day, but I am impressed.... I only wish you all the best in your future detecting.... I will be looking for more unusual coins.

God bless
Peter

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Wow that's great for you!! My sister works in a checkout line and the other day an 80-something year old gentleman came through and paid for his items with rolled change. She collects all change she gets and she bought the rolls for her change jar at home. When she got home she had bought two rolls of Merc Dimes!! The one roll of pennies she bought was half wheats all common dates. She acted like it was no big deal! She gets old coins all the time this way and her employer could care less. They don't want the hassle of messing with old coins.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice! The one that you can't make out the date on is 1913. That's the one with the "raised ground" under the Buffalo. They were only done that way for part of 1913, so you always know those even if you can't read the date.

Scott

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's stepping in it! Buffalo nickels have appealed to me as long as I can remember. As a kid it was still possible to find them in change (Say! Still is! You luck pup.)

I dug a 2000 Sacagaewa a couple days ago. Has a nice, coppery tone like a large cent! Looks better after five years in the dirt than it did after five weeks in someone's pocket. At least it didn' dissolve like the zinc cents do.

We can put a man on the moon, you'd think we could make coins that looked good and lasted . . . Oh, we did. Back when we could put a man on the moon. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions