7 cents at my quickie park, and a bunch of Archies???

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the way to work I always hunt a small park, it has a band pavilion, a playground, picnic tables.......this little lot use to have a old house on it, but was torn down and heavily landscaped, raised flower beds, and mounds to block out line of sight to street traffic......I always find modern change there......I have only found 1 wheat there, and a few pieces of jewelry. I figured no old stuff because it was scraped to deep and heavily landscaped......Anyway I pulled up and hopped out today started hitting the playground then the perimeter of the park......I stayed away from the middle because 3 guys looked like they were laying out some new landscaping....they had marking spray, a GPS backpack, and a easel, little marking flags were about and shade tent was set up also......they looked serious as they glanced at me so I stayed away........
I continued to hunt a bit found a small pocket spill of 7 whole cents.....and junk......I checked my watch...Oooooh! I better get to work.........I walked past a sign they plugged in the ground by the side walk.............

it said "DIGGING HISTORY of AYCOCK" Saturday May 17Th 2008.......Oooh geez!!! I jumped in my detector mobile and speed off...........I think they were pissed at me........one Archaeologist left right before I took off....he looked a bit upset.....

The thing is I have never found much there, but beer cans, pull tabs..............I wish them luck!!!

jorge

Upvote 0

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:I dont under stand what the sine ment. .......but congrats on your score.

OP
OP
jorge del norte

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liftloop said:
:thumbsup:I dont under stand what the sine ment. .......but congrats on your score.

"DIGGING HISTORY of AYCOCK"

Aycock neighborhood is the historical area near by where I work........

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
So are you gowing to attend or what?
I would.
I mean is the sign for some kind of an event?
Or is that what they are doing. Digging an archeological site?
Good thing you left. Cops were probably on the way :o :o ;D ;D
You never know, you could have gotten some hefty fine for violating some ordinance or something.

OP
OP
jorge del norte

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the thing is I have been hunting that place for 3 years......it is my quickie park.......no I don't think I will attend......i .....i think the place was scraped to deep and hauled off........thats why I hunt the perimeter it is more at the original level......you know I might should attend to see if I'm right.....or wrong

OP
OP
jorge del norte

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy I looked like a A$$Hole........I just found this........????

Living History Day in Historic Aycock

You can re-live history in the Historic Aycock Neighborhood. Walk into the past as the Aycock Historic District celebrates Greensboro’s bicentennial with a living history interpretation and archaeological dig. Six homes will be interpreted by costumed actresses and Aycock residents who will tell stories about Aycock and Greensboro through the early decades of the twentieth century. Stories will include:
•Nursing at St. Leo’s Hospital
•Taking in boarders to make ends meet during the Depression
•Cows living in the city limits
•Tales about growing up in Aycock in the early twentieth century
•Greensboro just after “The Great War”
•Children’s Home Society makes a home in Aycock
Interpreters will be on their porches from 10 am until 2pm. Maps will be available in Sternberger Park on the corner of Dewey and Fifth Avenue that morning.
Archaeologist Shawn Patch and excited volunteers will be conducting an archaeological dig at Sternberger Park, the onetime site of the Sternberger home, which was later used as a hospital and public health department. Spectators are welcome to come and observe and learn about this important part of Greensboro’s history.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you ,they tear up way more than we do.I like the fact that they didnt know that you didnt know and probably thought you just didnt care.Stickin to "the man" whenever we can.HH

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
You should have done the right thing instead of growing paranoid. They didn't bother you nor did any authority show up to either ask you to stop and leave or try to cite you. So, when you got a chance, if not then while you were active, you should have approached them and politely asked them what they were doing. Since they didn't approach YOU, chances are that they would have been polite and answered your question. They also might have asked YOU what you found and, possibly, enlist your help in the area they were flagging.

Sometimes it pays to take the initiative.

Silver Fox

OP
OP
jorge del norte

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Fox said:

nah......i just needed to get to work......I couldn't be late.....

...I will hunt it again....no reason not to......no signs posted anywhere....i see no harm in hunting the place it is a public park.....

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave45 said:
go back an tell them when they're done you want to detect the hole before they cover it up. ;D

Good point dave. Eventually they will stop digging. If you offer to scan the area before they cover it you are doing some great PR work for us. Simply offer to donate those finds.

Good luck,

Hal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread