Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 7" deep silver coins ringing up as iron on ACE 250

Dirt Player said:
Any body else have a problem with their ace 250 showing silver as iron? Almost ready for the AT Pro.
I was not aware of this ....Time to get an AT pro also!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

As targets get deeper, the reliability of proper ID for coin sized objects starts to drop off. This is typical for most detectors except for some PI detectors, such as the Infinium. And a lot of times the machines will ID a higher conductor as iron at great depths. So, consider that some good wisdom to learn. If it's deep, then it probably is old, so dig it anyway. The AT Series will probably get you some extra depth with all things (same target, same coil sized, same settings) being equal. The AT Series also have a wonderful ability to still read a good target as a good target, even if it's beside a junk target and sometimes underneath.

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yes it showed up at dollar but it was a half pound round chunk of iron and just a little bigger than a dollar

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

danny cordes said:
yes it showed up at dollar but it was a half pound round chunk of iron and just a little bigger than a dollar

Large iron will fool any VLF detector. It's the small iron like nails you want it to get right. But as Joghn said, if it's dep and gives an iron signal, I'd recommend digging.

The AT Pro I have will sometimes give a good signal but no ID, and I haven't been disappointed when I dig.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Apart from the fact that the Infinium can't really be called a discriminator in any respect large iron was not such a problem with many older detectors and having a concentric coil fitted means most can be identified at very low discrimination levels and even when detecting in an all metal mode. Large totally round iron still is a problem but these targets are often cannonballs which I don't mind digging at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread