7 HOUR HUNT TODAY ON NEW LAND...... TURNED OUT AWSUM !!!!!!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a new place today after asking permission on Thursday I finally got there....

Started out very slow with just iron hits....junk.

I scouted out the lower end of the field towards the salt water....still nothing .

Then a local guy I know came down to see me in the field to see what I was up to. He is a big history buff...and just so happened to be one of the guys who helped clear the field years ago....

He pointed me towards the lower right hand section and said there was a old French Acadian basement there years ago.!!!

So away I went... and bang I hit these 2 cannonballs about 6 feet apart along with the other few things I got here all in about a 200 x 200 foot area.

The field is very big so I got a lot ground to cover still.

2013-09-07 15.50.56.jpg 2013-09-07 15.55.07.jpg 2013-09-07 15.55.17.jpg 2013-09-07 15.55.25.jpg 2013-09-07 15.55.57.jpg 2013-09-07 15.56.24.jpg 2013-09-07 15.56.40.jpg

I also had a nice old axe head that I dropped off to my fathers...he is gonna clean it up and put a handle in it .

I,ll either keep it or give it to the landowner as a ty.

When I asked for permission I told him I would give him 1st pick of what I got.....

I had a nice MUSKET BALL also... he said he would like to have that.... so I gave it to him....was my 1st musket ball I found !!!!!!!!!! ...boooo...lolol.

Also he wants the small cannonball..so I said I would clean it up for him and give it to him next time I go hunting there. I have another one exactly like it ..so all good.

Is ok thou as he owns a fair bit of land so good karma is always good.

Upvote 15

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your in the zone, the silver is there somewhere now it's up to you to go find it.
Nice finds by the way.
ZDD

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I don't think I'd boo hoo too much over a mere musket ball, I personally know there's literally thousands of them out there, the cannonballs although, don't show up near up as often; the start to a wonderful collection!

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hehe .. ya -- I know ..I,ll find another...but the cannonballs aren,t that easy to find

the cannonballs ID was 19-23 jumping between these numbers ...foil range and showing them at the surface...shallow.

But they were 12-16 inches deep...anyone know the explanation for this. ???

Also when air tested they ID at 23 which is still foil range.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a clearer pic of the button

There is a crown on the back of it... would it be Britaish Militia ?

2013-09-07 18.02.18.jpg

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hehe .. ya -- I know ..I,ll find another...but the cannonballs aren,t that easy to find

the cannonballs ID was 19-23 jumping between these numbers ...foil range and showing them at the surface...shallow.

Because they are huge and dense!

BTW, I found 1000 musket balls before I found my first cannonball...you're doing it backwards!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

You put trust in the numbers on the display on your machine....I've been relic hunting for a dozen or so years, my trust is in my headphones. I might glance at the numerical display just for fun maybe once in a while, but when you are relic hunting on an old site you should be digging every signal no matter what, the numbers on the screen mean nothing, what's in your pouch does. A good repeatable signal should be all you should be paying attention to, some hunters might dismiss a really good find because the"number" on the display wasn't good or whatever, you might find more and better from trusting your ears over your eyes. Something to think sbout

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You put trust in the numbers on the display on your machine....I've been relic hunting for a dozen or so years, my trust is in my headphones. I might glance at the numerical display just for fun maybe once in a while, but when you are relic hunting on an old site you should be digging every signal no matter what, the numbers on the screen mean nothing, what's in your pouch does. A good repeatable signal should be all you should be paying attention to, some hunters might dismiss a really good find because the"number" on the display wasn't good or whatever, you might find more and better from trusting your ears over your eyes. Something to think sbout

The more I think about what you said the more I think your correct.

I almost didn,t dig the first cannonball..it was bouncing from 12-13 iron up to 19 -21 foil....shallow.

Then when I hit the 2nd cannonball it was a solid 22-23 foil...which I would normally pass up...but after the 1st one I was very interested in it.

I had skipped a couple 20-23 a couple hrs earlier.... now I gotta try to remember where they were .!!!!!

So I started digging some 12-14 that were bouncing to 19-23....normally junk targets....

Well ..they turned out to be very old axehead which is very nice...2 old splitting wedges....old railway spike.

All nice relic finds.....and I suppose a lot of signals 10-15 iron range could be really nice finds ..maybe even a musket gun etc..

We all look for nice coins which is majorly fun and satisfying..but these old relics can be worth more than most of the old coins we find.

From what I can find out...old era cannonballs go for anywhere from $100-$400

I will have to give this more thought before I return to the same spot Tuesday morning.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's excellent advice right there. I do it myself to many variables in the ground to go by numbers. If it beeps, dig.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's excellent advice right there. I do it myself to many variables in the ground to go by numbers. If it beeps, dig.

I would agree with you REBEL....but

I use the fisher f75 special ed.... when it says iron...its definitely iron and its a very sensitive powerful/deep machine.

I,d never find the good stuff if I dug all signals.

I guess its all depended on the area being searched and age of the area.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all about the number! I only dig 5-14 23-5 -54-2 and 16-98 on my explorer digital screen. Everything else is probably junk and I leave it for Ironhorse.

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the finds!

discn

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
my sixth sense and a shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find's. I think giving the landowner the best pick (his pick) of the hunt is a smart choice.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,thats a lot of oxen shoes for 1 area8-)

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,thats a lot of oxen shoes for 1 area8-)

ya...that's what I was thinking also...and I threw away 4 more.....only brought them back just to show the landowner.

No value to them but it is kinda neat to thinK about what live must have been like back then and try to visualize that field.

Also it is a good sign that the area was well used and hopefully.....SOMEONE HAD HOLES IN THEIR POCKETS !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions