7 lb diamond?

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180303_014605.jpg 20180303_015101.jpg
Big as my fist. Eats sandpaper. Weighs almost 7 lbs considering the fact that I can still hold in the palm of my hand. I'm going to go to a jeweler to have them checked out along with the others. Will update.

OP
OP
C

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum of silicon carbide sandpaper must be used.

Used 150 grit 3m wet or dry alum sil carbide sandpaper. No scratches at all. Was even less resistant as in the glide across the surface than the sandpaper before which was 100 grit.

Upvote 0

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1558379 View attachment 1558380 ...I'm going to go to a jeweler to have them checked out along with the others...
Honestly, I WOULD NOT GO TO A JEWELER IF it was a diamond that large. I would keep my mouth shut so as not to have anyone learn about it and subsequently break into my house or worse.

I would get my hands on a sapphire or ruby first to perform a scratch test.

Also moissanite is rarer than diamonds and SOMETIMES harder...very valuable!!!

At that size I would want to keep everything very low key! Please keep us posted!

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I WOULD NOT GO TO A JEWELER IF it was a diamond that large. I would keep my mouth shut so as not to have anyone learn about it and subsequently break into my house or worse.

I would get my hands on a sapphire or ruby first to perform a scratch test.

Also moissanite is rarer than diamonds and SOMETIMES harder...very valuable!!!

At that size I would want to keep everything very low key! Please keep us posted!

Unless I am mistaken, Moissanite is man made.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It kinda looks like quartz to me. Get corundum to do hardness test.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dip it in a tub of water. If the surface is wet when you pull it out, it's probably not a diamond. I agree with EU...probably quartz.
Jim

Upvote 0

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say definitely not a diamond, sorry . It looks like quartz from the picture , could be topaz , beryl or something but probably quartz .

Yes Moissanite is mostly artificial , it does actually occur in nature in meteorites and rare conditions but , very small , I have never heard of it naturally occuring in anything even close to that size . Anyone familiar with gems and minerals should be able to identify it in person. Good luck

Upvote 0

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quartz of milk.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To everybody. Stop with the picture id-in. You can not id rocks positively from a picture!
It has no crystal shape for you to judge the compound of the specimen. He did the scratch test.
More than half of the people fail to do the scratch test properly on harder materials and 90% of random finds that get put in the SEM are industrial glass.
Yes, it is quite possible that he did not do the scratch test properly. But you, me or anybody else cannot know that.

So, encourage Caleb12 unnecessarily, that a piece of rotten quartz MAY be a diamond? Let's go with the odds, then. How many fist-sized diamonds have you heard of or seen? I could take you to several places in the Cascades where entire hillsides are made up of these possible diamonds.

Upvote 0

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless I am mistaken, Moissanite is man made.

Nope, but it can be.

Moissanite can definitely be man made...Due to rarity of it there is lots of incentive.

Typically it is 9.25 on the Mohs hardness scale according to the USGS, but some diamonds can be scratched by it.

However, statisically a rock this size should not be diamond or moissanite...but would be insanely valuable if it was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I could take you to several places in the Cascades where entire hillsides are made up of these possible diamonds".
You would not believe how many valuable finds from gemstones to ore deposits were obscured by similarly looking "ordinary" rocks and minerals.

I would not believe. You must possess unbelievable information and knowledge. The OP is talking about diamonds. That rock has no hope of being a diamond.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should probably be more specific. Diamonds "wick" water. Iron staining is caused from hydrothermal activity. Diamonds cannot "stain" because of their water wicking properties. Even broken surfaces on diamonds (and yes, diamonds can break) will wick water. They can have inclusions, but not staining after the fact of them forming. Where diamonds are formed, it is too hot for water not to be evaporated as well. I hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happen To have a couple pieces of corondum. Thanks. Quartz doesn't frack and crack with perfect cleavage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do diamonds not have a yellow tint? I believe they do.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happen to have a couple pieces of corondum. Certain color? Blue, red, orange?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It scatches it alright. The corondum that is. ReAL big nice gauge on it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread