Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My off season streak at the beach continues.
Had the day off and I was jonsin' to go but it was very blustery, barely reached 40 degree and windy, overcast with some drizzle.

Headed out anyways and was glad I did.
The 2 twin rings I found inches apart, 1st 1 I thought was gold then I found the other, what are the odds ! I noticed some lifted plating so I knew those weren't gold.
Other gold looking one to the left, I swear most of it looks legit but it is unmarked, worse yet I think I see signs on plating on the inside ,, Also rang up low 40's VDI, have never seen gold signal that low. So at most it is a maybe, very doubtful but it looks nice.
Thought the other one to the left was silver but its junk.

To the right are 2 silvers, both .925 marked and the honker ring Thailand.
Finally found a legit gold after 2 hours walking back to my truck, had a semi frozen clump of goose crap right on top of it but rang up true.

Attachments

• IMG_2492.JPG
    IMG_2492.JPG
    586.2 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are on a roll! Congrats from a reformed Michigander.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did find a hallmark on the iffy ring, if it was a snake it would have bit me !

Looks to me like either 375 or 875, not a 9.

Attachments

• IMG_2496.JPG
    IMG_2496.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 149

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goose crap. :laughing7: I hope you were land hunting and not in the water... brrrr 7 rings = a fun day, Congrats. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Water would be way too cold for me, finds were on the wet line and in the sand.

Continued with my method of not using a scoop but just a pinpointer and little digger, works great. Deepest one was the large silver, probably about 5" and rang up a 99, rest were nearly on the surface or even partially exposed.
Nice not to have to lug the scoop around and I'm able to give my arm a nice rest as I can swing both right and left, but I do miss it for leaving a trail of where I have been.

Beach is loaded with bird crap, they scrape it away in the summer but leave it as it drops after the season ends. Saw alot of deer tracks too, I'm guessing they come roaming in at night.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I have mixed messages on the .825 hallmark.

Some say it is "European silver" and simply less pure than .925.

Then this:

The mark 825 on jewelry indicates that the piece is made from real gold and has a gold purity rating of approximately 19 karats. Jewelers use three-digit marks to represent the gold purity level since standard markings, appearing stamped as 14K for example, can be off by a half-karat.

Three-digit gold marks indicate the purity percentage with greater accuracy than standard ratings. For example, 825 represents a purity rating of 82.5 percent, meaning that the piece contains more than 82 percent gold. When compared to the standard marks, three-digit marking simplifies the equation for finding the purity percentage of a piece of jewelry.

https://www.reference.com/beauty-fashion/825-jewelry-8694efa265983017#

Gotta say, it looks nothing like silver, so its either gold plated silver or 20k gold.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt.....brrrrr sounds like its getting chilly. Nice gold, and 7 rings total wow!! Congrats.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cold isn't too bad, I can take it down into the teens before I consider it cold.
Besides, had my long johns on and a face mask and mechanics gloves with a wool Carhartt jacket, was actually a bit warm at times, and I'm not even acclimated to the cold yet [2 weeks ago it was in the upper 70's].

I got a kick out of finding every one of these, even the junk [I'm sure you know the feeling Bart as well or better than anyone]. The 18K honker and gold rope eludes me but its nice to find anything.

As can be seen in the background, still a fair amount of clad laying around too, clean beach - I found probably 4 rusted caps, a pulltab and a few misc chunks of foil, everything else was a legit target.
I'd say I properly detected around 20% of this beach, still alot of sand to cover.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats a Great day out!! The Crown stands for Gold..I have a few old gold rings that have crowns then a number.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, shes gotta be gold.

Still can't understand the very low VDI, gold almost always rings up in the low 60's. Almost passed on it, under 40 is 99% trash at a beach, very few worthwhile targets under 47 [which are usually nickels] ,, And after I recovered it I tossed it back in the sand to pass the coil over it to be sure, it was bouncing between 39 and 41.
Maybe the higher karats ring up low VDI ?
Going to have to do some air tests and check into that, this changes my years in the making perspective of beach hunting by numbers.

I know, "dig it all" and often I do at the beach - But on a cold day, alot of ground to cover, limited time and spotty rain, I was passing on the under 40's.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had the day off so I headed to the beach, probably the last time this year.
Work will be off the hook soon, weather of course closing in, and its a 70 miles round trip for me, not like I can go any time at my leisure.

Slim pickings, was at it over an hour before I found anything besides pulltabs or foil. Even clad was scarce, found just 2 quarters and 2 nickels. Was digging everything so I ended up with a nice pocket full of trash, glad I did too because the nice 18k earring rang up under 40, which I often tend to ignore at the beach as foil.
Also found 2 more junk rings, one a weird jaggy copper design.

Attachments

• IMG_2498.JPG
    IMG_2498.JPG
    448 KB · Views: 122

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's probably 375= 9 carat. Low alloys are not good conductors. You should dig them all. If you pass up what you think is foil, or a pull tab or something, you could be passing up low carat gold jewelry. Nice day!

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm seein an 8 but I can see how thats others see a 3, right sides are shaped about the same and the left side is a bit obscured.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use the Ace 4 hundred[zero key died] for all off season beach finds.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch