705 or safari?

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
I currently own a xterra 705. I love it hands down. Its a beast. I have found great things at great depths. Thinking of picking up a safari. Is it really worth the upgrade or hold out for a etrac?? I thinking the safari would be easier and i wont get lost in settings on the etrac. Anyone want to chime in on the hands on differneces from the 705 to the safari if u used them?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see the Safari as an upgrade. It's a great compliment to a 705, but doesn't give the user enough additional information to be much more than a different way of looking at targets.

An Explorer or E-trac provide both FE and CO numbers (the Safari is only CO), so they are more "like" an actual upgrade. And of those two, the E-trac is much faster.

Again, I feel that even the Explorer/E-trac are great compliments to a 705. The differences between FBS and V-Flex are sufficient enough that a direct comparison is not possible, but that is why they make fantastic companions. The CTX is a melding of those technologies, which equates to FBS2 being the best of both FBS and V-Flex.

Get a Safari if you like, but don't give up the 705 for it.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead with the Etrac! It's easy to run once it all comes together. It is awesome right out of the box without a bunch of tweaking.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive heard the same that Longhair suggests. The Etrac is more of a compliment to the X Terra. The X-Terra is sometimes better in really trashy iron sites, and it excels at gold jewelry and small nuggets with the 18.75 khz coils. My good friend just picked up a 705. He's had it for about 1 month and is already looking at Safari & Etrac videos getting all pumped up! I explained that once he learns the 705 and starts getting some great finds, he won't feel a need to upgrade especially once he gets some additional coils. His 2nd trip out he found an 1826 market token. The X-Terra is never utilized to it's full potential unless it is used in all metal, 99 tones. I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and still haven't done all that can be done with 6 strings. Why would I need 7 strings?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see the Safari as an upgrade. It's a great compliment to a 705, but doesn't give the user enough additional information to be much more than a different way of looking at targets.

An Explorer or E-trac provide both FE and CO numbers (the Safari is only CO), so they are more "like" an actual upgrade. And of those two, the E-trac is much faster.

Again, I feel that even the Explorer/E-trac are great compliments to a 705. The differences between FBS and V-Flex are sufficient enough that a direct comparison is not possible, but that is why they make fantastic companions. The CTX is a melding of those technologies, which equates to FBS2 being the best of both FBS and V-Flex.

Get a Safari if you like, but don't give up the 705 for it.

Great post as always! I am a huge fan of the Minelab SE Pro, check out our discounted price on it as well! ;) Tons more features over the Minelab Safari.

Holler with questions!

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The safari will definitely be an upgrade if you hunt mainly iron-cleaner sites, and surely if you want correct ID at depth, one of the weak points of the 705.

Same goes for explotracs Great machines at IDing at depth, and deeper too, with a clear advantage for the Etrac regarding recovery speed.

Whatever you buy, though, I woul suggest to keep the 705.

HH

Grumpy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread