78 records

john betley

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
78 albems 004.JPG I have just accuried approximatly 100, 78 records. in ther sleives
I have no idea how to find out what they are worth.
also i have accuried about 200, 45's.
If any one can help me value these or are inteested in purchacing
these. please contact me by emai.
I have Columbia, Victor, RCA, Nightengale, in the 78's
I am a new member
[email protected]
thanks;
john

Last edited by a moderator:

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will let someone with more experience with records talk worth but my initial thought from years of buying and selling is "not much". [really depends on what you have specifically]

anyway, what I really want to tell you is a cool story someone told me at the auction house I used to work at. As I was preparing some various lots to go up for auction, one of the record buyers was walking around previewing things and I brought to his attention that I just made 2 lots of 78's if he was interested. He looked across the room and said "Naw, not interested in em' but I'll tell you what's cool about them. If you take some 78's and break them up in a bucket and mix the shards up with denatured alcohol it turns into a nice black stain for furniture. People used to do it all the time back in the day".

I haven't tried this yet but I intend to. I think it would be a nice look on an antique chair. If your albums aren't worth anything maybe you can give it a whirl. If you do, please post your results.

Just thought Id share that with you.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say 78's are the Least collectable.

With the excepton of Politically Incorrect Children's records
& Racist Nursery Rhymes.
sorry you'll have to Google search Racist Nursery Rhymes on 78's
for examples

the 45's are probably the most valuable.

especially if they have the cover art

mid 50's Forward through 60's especially

Do an EBay search on each one you have, See asking Prices & actual
completed prices paid

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=45+RPM+RECORDS+RARE+RECORDS+R+B+45S+DOO+WOP+45S

remember any Cover art that Caused Controversy & had to be changed
or would now be considered Politically incorrect has mass appeal.
Especially with groups who like to cry Racism.
they just love to listen & Complain :laughing7:

78's

http://majesticrecord.com/labelsm.htm

http://www.mgthomas.co.uk/dancebands/indexpages/labelindex-k-m.htm

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have some old 78's from what I assume were Minstrel Show type "artists" and I'm sure the forum search and destroy software wouldn't let me post the song titles.

The needles to fit the RCA/Victor tone arms are each worth more than the common 78's anymore.

OP
OP
J

john betley

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your input. and the websites to seek more information. i am going to add a photo as to some of what i have.
i am also going to put close up photos in my web site. this mite take a few days to get this done. as soon as i do i will post a link.
these series are quite interesting.
john

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello John,

I'd give ATTIC RECORDS in Pittsburgh, PA. (Millvale) a call. They have one of the largest old record stores in the country. Over 1 million records. They could tell you what they are worth.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
The 78's w/ no groove on outer edge (you have to set needle on the record, no automatic feed) are of more value. Some of the old blues 78's are quite valuable. The sleeves on the 45's are of more value that the records in most cases. There are buyers for that as well. Good luck.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a catalog that lists values. It is arranged by artist. Some are quite valuable.
If you could give me the names of the artists, I could look them up for you.

I also have a couple of catalogs of 45 rpm's. They are listed similarily.

Best,
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread