8 Reale Coin Unknown to me

josephrg

Mar 13, 2011
Hi I aquired this coin in a lot of Roman coins. I collect Roman coins and believe the coins came from Spain.I am not sure how this coin was mixed in but I did some research and believe it is a Mexico city coin from the 1500,s Phillip II. the coin weighs 26.4 grams and is 36mm. If anyone has any more info on it that would be great.It isn't corroded so I don't believe it came from the water. thanks Joe
The mint mark is oMO

Attachments

• 03-13-2011 08;14;39PM.jpg
    03-13-2011 08;14;39PM.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 698
  • new front.jpg
    new front.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 672

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, Mexico with the balls at end of cross bars. It looks to be round, so maybe it is a royal, or presentation. Usually they are not as round for the general public. Yes, it does look like a land find.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is a land find and a royal/presentation piece as Steve mentioned. Of course it is a Mexico City, but double check the assayer. Perhaps it is dirt or my eyes, but I don't see the round "O". Instead, I see a "D". If it is a "D", then there should be another assayer on the other side of the shield. It will be an "F" (Francisco de Morales). 1598/1599. Very rare.

OP
OP
J

josephrg

Mar 13, 2011
Unfortunatly I cleaned the coin a little more ( I find a eraser works well on silver coins) and it is a O instead of a D.Any idea on the value since this is a common presentation piece and how about a date? thanks and sorry for the unclear pictures.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The closest date would be from 1575 - 1589. The "O" Assayer is shared by Bernardo de Onate (1571 - 1578) and (possibly his son) Luis de Onate (1578 - 1589). Nice cob.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would think this would be worth more than a regular cob from that era. Presentations or royals, were sent to the king, to show how nice the new years coins turned out. There were not very many royals as regular cobs, much less. Hard to say about the price, but it is definitly worth checking and seeing what other presentation coins have sold for. Most sell for 10 or more times what the other cobs sell for. Check on Sedwicks website, and see. I dont have the actual websites address though.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Not to ruffle any feathers...but this is NOT a presentation piece and or Royal.
It is a nice find but it is more common than one would think.
Being minted late in the late 1590s - the cobs/reales were minted on nicely round planchets, the standards were set very very high and quality control was high...but as decades passed, assayers, mints, kings and as Spain became more and more money hungry, the quality of cob/reales and their minting standard dropped, thats why so many funny shapes and or ugly looking cobs you will see in later dates.
Again, nice early Mexico minted cob but no where near royal/presentation quality. Very standard round planchet for those early year strikes.
Value $100.00 - $150.00 for yours. Date late 1590s is my quess.
Mexico mint, Phillip II, OM-mexico, O-Bernardo de Onate assayer. Assayer provided by Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins by Sewall Menzel.

Pencil eraser? ok, that will erase it's value some.

Trez

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
josephrg said:
Unfortunatly I cleaned the coin a little more ( I find a eraser works well on silver coins) and it is a O instead of a D.Any idea on the value since this is a common presentation piece and how about a date? thanks and sorry for the unclear pictures.

Trez said:

Firstly, Trez's attribution of the coin is correct. Beyond that,

:o :o :o :o :o :o

For the benefit of anyone else who may be reading this... One should NEVER EVER EVER eraser a coin..... let alone a rather rare $150 400-year old coin!!! :o :o :o A normal pencil eraser is abrasive, putting down minute scratches on the coin's surface... this leaves an obvious pattern that someone who is familiar with coins would recognize (and lament) right away. It's basically a low-tech form of what coin people call "whizzing".

Not sure if the pics currently posted are before or after you did that (can be hard to see surface issues from a scan)... just don't do it again in the future. W can only hope that the eraser you used was some kind of minimally abrasive type. If the patina was anything close in appearance to normal "old silver" grey w/a touch of brown, though, why did you even try to clean it? There's a saying about coin cleaning... if you have to ask, DON'T DO IT!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Trez, thanks for the update. I just always saw cobs as very un-round. That is why I thought this must be a presentation. I know you are really into the ID. Thanks!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
realeswatcher said:
josephrg said:

Trez said:

For the benefit of anyone else who may be reading this... One should NEVER EVER EVER eraser a coin..... let alone a rather rare $150 400-year old coin!!! :o :o :o A normal pencil eraser is abrasive, putting down minute scratches on the coin's surface... this leaves an obvious pattern that someone who is familiar with coins would recognize (and lament) right away. It's basically a low-tech form of what coin people call "whizzing".

Not sure if the pics currently posted are before or after you did that (can be hard to see surface issues from a scan)... just don't do it again in the future. W can only hope that the eraser you used was some kind of minimally abrasive type. If the patina was anything close in appearance to normal "old silver" grey w/a touch of brown, though, why did you even try to clean it? There's a saying about coin cleaning... if you have to ask, DON'T DO IT!
Pencil erazer, are they not made from rubber :icon_scratch: how can rubber scratch a coin :icon_scratch:

SS

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Silver Searcher said:
realeswatcher said:
josephrg said:

Trez said:

Pencil erazer, are they not made from rubber :icon_scratch: how can rubber scratch a coin :icon_scratch:

SS
The same way wiping dirt off your car will scratch the paint. It makes no difference how soft the cloth is that you use. It's the dirt that was on it that causes the scratches.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBandit said:
Silver Searcher said:
realeswatcher said:
josephrg said:

Trez said:

SS
The same way wiping dirt off your car will scratch the paint. It makes no difference how soft the cloth is that you use. It's the dirt that was on it that causes the scratches.
You wouldn't clean a Silver coin, unless the soil(dirt )had been washed of first :icon_scratch: and besides a dug coin would have plenty of scratches, from being in the ground, saying a rubber eraser would scratch a coin, does not make any sence at all :-\ a buyer, would assume the scratches were from being dug.

I wouldn't clean a silver coin this way anyway, there are plenty of outher things to use, with out harming silver :icon_thumleft:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread