🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks. I was able to get a bit of the crust off one of my 8 reales I found a few years ago. This was in a spill of 5 8 reales, which is my only banner find. Anyways, it looks to be in very good condition under the crust. I'm assuming the crust is due to heat, as this field gets burned every 2 years. 2 questions: what do you think it would grade at if the rest of the crust was off, and does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the stubborn stuff off? Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180409-114752.png
    Screenshot_20180409-114752.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 107
OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll do that when I get home. It'll be a few hours

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go :)

Attachments

• 20180409_114635.jpg
    20180409_114635.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 20180409_130457.png
    20180409_130457.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the price guide. I was just wondering what people think the grade is. :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have accounts with all three major grading services now. I think they will generally come back with a "genuine" or "environmental damage" or some such grade instead of a "real" grade for excavated coins. Maybe someone else can chime in.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
I clicked on your Banner Finds listed for June 2nd, 2013. The photo host is no longer supporting pictures of that find, but it must have been nice. I have several of the "Bustos". Looking at the detail on the reverse, the lettering for PLUS ULTRA is very
clear with little or no wear. The brooch on the armor on the King's shoulder is complete. There is still underlying luster. There doesn't appear to be any significant damage. Usually the rims have a dent or two. Considering these coins were hand made one at a time on a screw press, this coin is very well struck. It was EF+ to AU+ when lost. If you have tried to pick off any of the corrosion and there isn't any pitting uncovered, it would be worth your while to investigate possible restoration by cleaning.
Yes, the mantra "Don't clean coins" is heard throughout the land. The main thing to watch out for is abrasive cleaners that leave scratches on the surfaces. No collector likes that appearance on a coin. Sea salvagers use electrolysis. i have used nic-a-lene
with fair results on small areas, but you have to stay right with it. A small amount can be applied with the tip of a round toothpick. Wait 5 minutes or so, gently see if any blackened material leaves the surface. Dab with a Q-tip, repeat. A lot of dealers use coin dip, but they fail to complete the process. If you have bought any silver dollars, or like coins, at a coin show, and have them turn yellow-brown years later, the dealer didn't wash the coins after dipping them. After dipping, rubbing alcohol must be used to halt the action of the chemical in coin dip. Then you have to be very careful drying the coin as not to leave hairlines. It is just a matter of how far do you want to go. If you have more similar coins, in your case you mentioned five 8 R's, I think just leave them as you found them for an outstanding display. As "smokeythecat" has already explained paying to send them in to a third party grading service wouldn't get you any answers to their grade. You'd get "Genuine not gradable" or the dreaded "body bag". If I had them, I would have to try to clean at least one, and not the easiest, but the one that looked the most heavily encrusted. I would have to show you what I mean, and we are hundreds of miles apart, so ...
How about a scan of the whole find? Also, the when, where, how, etc. of that exciting find. Those are really interesting coins. They circulated in the United States as One Dollar until the coinage act of Feb. 2nd, 1857. I have read that they were used for several years after that even as late at the 1880's in the U.S. Southwest. Those Charles III, Charles IV, and Ferdinand VII, 8 R's have made huge price jumps in the last ten years. Even the heavily chopmarked coins are going for premium prices. I believe most of the 8 R's listed on ebay are overgraded. Since they are made with old technology, the grading of Spanish Colonial coins is subjective. Many coins that are actually high grade coins have weak or missing legends or details. There are several factors to consider, but it is obvious to me that this 1798 8 R's here was a like-new piece when lost. I don't know what a 1798 dollar would be worth in today's money. It might be fun to Google a money conversion program and find out.
Maybe Spring will finally come to North America and we can all get out and look for treasure soon !

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Very well written and thought out reply! I will try some non invasive cleaning tactics and see if I get positive results. I have cleaned all of them, which didn't take much work, to be honest. A very light rub with baking soda and water did the trick, but the black crust is very stubborn. I think it is soil that was super heated and bound to the surface of the coin. I could try electrolysis to get it off, but that makes me a bit nervous.
These coins were found in a single 12'×12' area. 2 of them were in the same hole together. It was the find of my lifetime, and more than likely will hold that status for a long time. I'll include a pic that I have of 4 of them that I took before cleaning. Thank you very much for your input! That is the response I was hoping for :)

Attachments

• 20180308_182405.png
    20180308_182405.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 91

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin looks great "as is".
Leave it alone... this "look" is more desired by coin people over the "cleaned" look.

Cleaning can / could jeopardize your coins value in an instant.

Once you have made a wrong move with it... you cannot go back... what will be done will be done and you will live with the regret.

IF you are trying to ready the coin for sale... don't do it.

Coin people in my experience who are serious collectors will tell right away that the coin has been cleaned and frown away from it.

The tarnish and crud are this coins "provenance"... and tells its story... which is the story they really want... IF buyer / collector wants it another way let them do it... that way if it devalues it it is on them.

Quick story... guy I know found a very rare coin... very badly tarnished... he cleaned it with extreme care... turned out fantastic,,, I could not even tell he cleaned it.

Took in for grading by people I know...

Received low grade... the reason ... "it had been cleaned".

PS... IMO... This is a stellar coin... and I would want it just like it is. :)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a nice 8 Reale which appears to have Extra Fine details, so that is my thoughts on the grade. As far as cleaning the crust off of the coin. I would give Mineral Oil a try for a few days by soaking the coin in it, then rub the surface of the coin with a soft fingertip to see if the crust has loosened and will come off. A quick bath in Acetone might help with stubborn crusting. However, if you are planning on having the coin certified and graded, then you should also have the Grading Service Company conserve the coin as they have the means, methods and expertise to deal with such crusting on Silver coins.

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot guys! I don't plan on selling it or sending it in, I just noticed the details in the pillars and stopped right there. I think I'll leave it alone. It would break my heart to damage it or take details away. I was thinking EF, and that's good enough for me. They are proudly displayed on my dresser in coin holders now, where they will stay.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread