8 Reasons Potatoes Are A Survival Superfood‏

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If you could choose just one crop to grow to feed your family in tough times, the potato would be ideal. Potatoes may have a humble reputation, but when it comes to surviving in tough times, they're superstars. Here are eight reasons why.

Reason #1: They're easy to grow and require no machinery or processing
Potatoes are easy for one person to grow and harvest. Growing a family plot of potatoes requires minimal labor and attention. No heavy machinery needed! Unlike grain crops, potatoes don't need to be milled, threshed, combined, or undergo any other processing. You just pull them out of the earth, brush off the dirt, and cook them.

Reason #2: Potatoes are packed with nutrition
Potatoes get a bad rap, but they're actually an excellent source of important nutrients. A typical potato contains over half the day's requirement of vitamins C and B6, and almost half of the potassium. They're also a good source of fiber, folate, niacin, thiamin, magnesium, manganese, and more.

Reason #3: Potatoes are a healthful alternative to grains and beans
Many pre-packaged survival foods rely on grains and beans... but for some folks, that can be a problem. Potatoes are more easily digestible than beans, which often require soaking. For people with gluten sensitivities or who don't do well with grains, potatoes are the perfect alternative.

Reason #4: In a TEOTWAWKI scenario, they provide sorely needed calories
In a total meltdown, you will be doing far more manual labor than you do now. You'll be walking or biking everywhere when gasoline prices skyrocket. You'll be growing your own food. If power is down for extended periods, you won't have machines to do laundry, dishes, or cleaning. You'll be chopping wood for heat. And all that extra effort requires more calories. Home grown potatoes, which require minimal labor, can provide all the extra calories your family needs in a complete off-the-grid lifestyle.

Reason #5: They can be grown even when growing space is limited
It doesn't require much land at all to grow potatoes, but if you live somewhere where there's virtually no ground to till, you can still grow them. People grow potatoes in window boxes, food-grade buckets, cardboard boxes, tall homemade containers, and more.

Reason #6: Potatoes keep for months
Kept at the proper temperature in an old-fashioned root cellar, potatoes will last for months. (Keep them away from onions and garlic, however, or they'll spoil faster.) And if you're worried about using them up before they start to go bad, you have another option... see Reason #7.

Reason #7: They're easy to dehydrate
Scrub 'em, slice 'em, and dehydrate them ... either in a dehydrator or in your oven. Dehydrated, potatoes take up less space and can be stored in airtight containers for very long periods of time. In fact, they'll last for ten years in a sealed #10 can.

Reason #8: Potatoes can be prepared in endless ways
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew ... fry them, scallop them, even make potato flour from them for baked goods. Make potato pancakes, potato dumplings, home fries ... even potato vodka!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nutritional Differences Between Russet & Red Potatoes | LIVESTRONG.COM

Keep an "eye" out for potato bugs,they seem to be higher in numbers the second crop/year. Avoid green skins,often caused by exposure above ground during growth and be sure to keep green skin away from any animals also. When harvested,dirt can be just brushed of gently, keep them in the dark or they will sprout.
Cut a generous piece of potato with an eye, better if there is two featured to plant, or use small, 2 or 3 inch maybe seed potatoes.Its o.k. to dig small ones to eat during growth. Be gentle. After tops die off check a group under a plant for skin thats tough like your store bought,if thin and slips leave them set a few more days. When skins firmed up let them cure after digging before cold storage.Store only the best and check them for sprouting if they get above 40 degrees,check on occasion anyway. An earth cellar, or barrel buried on its side,insulated from freezing through natural materials can host other items also,no apples or fruit though with potatoes cause they encourage them to sprout..Below 40F and above freezing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pla...BNsa2yAGB0YCYCw&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Last edited:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can also be used to retort mercury.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I never tried potatoes, that is growing them. Always wondered how you can find them. I cook my potatoes in the microwave for 4 min each after cutting them 1/2 way thru and wrapping them in a sheet of bounty. After cooking, i squeeze them length ways to open the slit and drop in a pat of butter and something to add more flavor like bacon pieces or precooked sausage , maybe some graded cheese or chopped mushrooms. Hay, i said I liked them! How deep do they grow? What do the shoots look like? how long do they take in the ground? Frank...

Blue 1212.jpg

Maybe I can get Blue to dig them for me!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ADS!! Too bad the guy lost in the woods doesn't have a pocket full of these!! Then he might have a chance!! Although Questionable!! He He!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a thing last fall that I am planning on trying this year. You take a potato plant and then graft a tomato plant on top and then you have potatoes on the bottom and tomatoes on the top.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a thing last fall that I am planning on trying this year. You take a potato plant and then graft a tomato plant on top and then you have potatoes on the bottom and tomatoes on the top.

Which would grow faster? I think the potato, and the tomato would try to Ketchup:laughing7:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Last year I cut the bottom out of several 5 gallon plastic buckets, filled them with potting soil, and planted potato's in them. Harvest time I just picked up the bucket, shoved the "dirt" out the bottom and picked up my potato's. I planted Irish and red potato's, and the reds did the best, although the Irish grew also, but not as large as I thought they would. I'm doing it again this year.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plant potatoes in a large trash bag. After the plants sprout, cover them up with more dirt. Roll up the bag after each bit of dirt is added to cover new sprouts until it's full of dirt and potatoes.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread