"80 yr old ladys coins" from a teller

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
"80 yr old lady's coins" from a teller

I pulled into a BBT drive thru at a bank I had never hit just before 6pm. Asked for halves and she said "I have $5.50.....no wait $35.50." Steps away for 5 minutes and returns with 3 rolls I can see are old. (Heart rate increase). She now says, "yeah an older woman in her 80s brought in a bunch of her late husband's coins." (Heart rate doubles) As calmly as possible I ask, "do you have her other coins?" "No, except for halves, we make customers put them in the coin counter, and an outside company services it." (NOOOOOOOO!!! Ok just give me the halves - quick). I take the halves, look skyward to pray to the silver gods, and open the first one. CLAD! Second roll CLAD! Third roll - one 40%.

What's my next move? Do I give her my card and ask her to call if she gets other good stuff? She said they don't have access to the coin counters - outside company. I don't have an account there but she was very nice and didn't seem interested in sniping, as she opened my rolls to count them before giving them to me. I could see her counting them but not enough to know if they were all silver at the time. She didn't snipe because she only brought out three rolls and couldn't have replaced them with clad - I could see through the window.

I got a taste of the thrill of solid silver and am inspired to ask for more CWR! HH

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can give her your card, which might or might not work. When I first began CRHing a little over 3 years ago, I left my name and phone number at dozens of banks in the area. All said they would call me if/when any half dollars showed up. In those 3 years+, I have received exactly 1 phone call from a bank.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Really enjoyed your play-by-play RamsesII!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Also, just because you didn't see her snipe doesn't mean she didn't snipe. The old lady could have brought in $40 in halves; most tellers who know about silver only know about 1964 and earlier.

Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.

OP
OP
RamsesII

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
coin_collection.gif
Really enjoyed your play-by-play RamsesII!

Yeah, it was dumb luck that I drove past this bank and hit the drive thru, as it was almost 6pm. Goes to show you should always ask for CWR. Still hoping to encounter someone's collection.

Have folks had success looking at yard / garage sales for people's jarred coins or coin collections? Or do the hard-core rummagers get that stuff as soon as the yard sale opens, in your opinion?

My second great story in the first month of CRH happened while dumping (heh). Finished dumping $1,500 in halves and chocolates at one of my DBs, and there was a guy in his mid 60s behind me cashing a check (said he was taking his grandkids to Disney World). As I was getting into my car, I saw him walk by and I said "Have fun in Disney World!" He smiled, walked over, looked both ways, and said in a hushed voice, "Where in the HELL did you get all those dang half dollars?!?!?" I said I go through them with my son to get all the dates in those cardboard books ;) Then he says, "yeah, my dad had a bunch of coins and gave them to me. Lots of them were even from the 1800s I think" (remain calm) I say, "Hm. Would you like to sell them? I'll give you a good price." He said he was thinking of giving them to his grandkids, but they're not into coins. I said you wouldn't want your grandkids to accidently give them away and then I gave him my card. He said he would put it in the box with all his coins and would call me if wanted to sell them.

I'll let you know IF I get that call!!!
:icon_farao:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you say, "CLAD!"... are you referring to post 1971 halves or pre 1970 halves? There can be a misconception to some folks... anyway, congrats on the 1 40%er!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
when you say, "CLAD!"... are you referring to post 1971 halves or pre 1970 halves? There can be a misconception to some folks... anyway, congrats on the 1 40%er!

I think he was referring to post-1971 halves, since he said he found 1 40% in the last roll, not 1 clad.

OP
OP
RamsesII

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I found a silver clad 1967 coin. And was exclaming CLAD because grandma's rolls were not supposed to have cupro-nickel clad, post 1971 halves. But that's a mouthfull, and you all know what I mean.

HH!

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple things about BB&T. I have never had a teller count change from a roll. They all have scales to weigh a roll. I watched a teller just today weigh in $106.00 for a lady and tell her that she was over 10 cents on one roll and over a quarter on another. Of course I waited and bought the $106 from the teller. The other thing about BB&T is that they can not "make" customers use the coin machine since they charge a fee for using it. I actually had a teller comment to me today that they had so much more customer wrapped coins coming in since they started charging for the machine. Sounds kind of sketchy on that BB&T. I would head back there in the middle of the day and see if they have any CWR.

OP
OP
RamsesII

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! Good to know. I'm headed back there to see if they have any CWR.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread