82P half no "FG"

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Per BuffaloBoy's request here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...61-30-pieces-silver-good-friday-bad-luck.html

I agree, some call us clad lovers, but sometimes clad can be worth way more than silver! Is it possible for you to share with us a photo of the 1982 "no FG" Half dollar?
hh
buff

Here are shots of the 1982 no "FG" half I found today. I've heard these have to have absolutely no trace of the FG showing. I see what looks like a couple of bumps attached to the bottom of the eagle's leg, but not in the correct position for the FG. On the other hand, until I compared it to a new half, I didn't see just how worn the coin really was. What's your thoughts?

Here's the coin with no magnification. As you can see, it's a 1982 P.

DSC05063.JPG DSC05069.JPG

Here's your standard 10x magnification:

DSC05067.JPG DSC05067-001.JPG

Here's 30x lighted magnification:

DSC05071.JPG DSC05072.JPG

And 60x magnification. Lighted (not very legible):

DSC05073.JPG

60x with black light:

DSC05074.JPG DSC05075.JPG

and 60x with no light:

DSC05076.JPG

I've found about half a dozen other 82P no "FG"s in about the same condition. I'd love to hear some feedback on this. Do you think it qualifies as a real no "FG"? Any value to it?

Thanks!

FT

Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish I could help you there FT, I'm not a numismatics guy myself, I'm sure Diver Down will chime in, I consider him to be very well versed in these coins. HH, Maverick.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Looks good to me, but the problem is the condition of the coin. With it's condition and the fact that the 82 No FG is one of the more common No FG variety, it won't net you the higher premium. You might realize $10.

I just searched for some completed auctions and there was a PCGS MS64 example on Heritage Auctions that realized $38.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Looks good to me, but the problem is the condition of the coin. With it's condition and the fact that the 82 No FG is one of the more common No FG variety, it won't net you the higher premium. You might realize $10.

Oh gee, so it's only worth the same as a 90%? darn...

:tongue3:

Not complaining at all! Thanks for the input!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I didn't mean to disparage your find. I still think they are worth searching for, but I just wanted to temper your expectations. With polished die varieties, it is a harder sell when other abrasions are evident on the coin's devices. An uncirculated example eliminates the possibility that the coin has been adulterated post-mint.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I didn't mean to disparage your find. I still think they are worth searching for, but I just wanted to temper your expectations. With polished die varieties, it is a harder sell when other abrasions are evident on the coin's devices. An uncirculated example eliminates the possibility that the coin has been adulterated post-mint.

I didn't take it as disparagement, and I appreciate your input. I wasn't sure that it was worth anything, so I was very happy to hear you say it might be worth as much as $10. I quite agree, it was indeed worth searching for.

Again, thanks!

:thumbsup:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I didn't take it as disparagement, and I appreciate your input. I wasn't sure that it was worth anything, so I was very happy to hear you say it might be worth as much as $10. I quite agree, it was indeed worth searching for.

Again, thanks!

:thumbsup:

Now go and scrutinize your other No FG's. You might want to begin searching for other No FG varieties. Some of the rarer examples fetch a hefty premium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
No go and scrutinize your other No FG's. You might want to begin searching for other No FG varieties. Some of the rarer examples fetch a hefty premium.

Well now that you mention it...

I've got another 6 '82P's similar to the first, and this:

DSC05079.JPG

A 1972D; alas, not in great condition either.

DSC05080.JPG

10x

DSC05081.JPG

And 30X:

DSC05083.JPG DSC05084.JPG

I'd rate it as about the same condition as the '82P, just a different year and mintmark.

Thoughts?

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great pictures , was wondering if any ghosting of the FG was ok. Now I can look with confidence. LP

Hopper39

Oct 1, 2011
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed; I've sold ~10 on eBay for $8-$10 a piece on average, with free shipping. In about 50 boxes this year, I see ~4 82Ps per box (Midwest), so it's no extra time to keep an eye out for them.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your '82 P looks legit, but the '72d appears to have a trace of the FG there. The genuine '72d has no trace of an FG at all (like the '82p) because it was never added to the die. Genuine examples have a mushy tail feather section and stars on that side. It is a very underrated and rare coin. Super tough to find. I remember someone finding one a while back here on Tnet (AU/BU with good luster) who sold it for a couple hundred $ on eBay! The '72 dbl die half is very tough too. I found only 1 compared to several rolls of '74d dbl dies. The doubling is better too.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FT, Great pictures, thank you for sharing! I always try to look for 1982 and 1972 "no FG" Half dollars when I can, but hundreds of boxes later and 4 years of half dollar searching, no error for me yet, I like that type of error searching considering you can spot it with the naked eye. Thanks again for sharing,
hh
buff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread