83 Clad Coins, 1st gold, silver, and more, with a bullet question.

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEST metal detecting day with the kids ever. Total of 83 coins (which shatters my prior record of 31), first 14K gold find (the track foot earring), 2 gold bracelet parts, two 32 Smith & Wesson bullet casings, what appears to be a bullet slug, and other assorted items. The item on the bottom right is what I think is a bullet slug. Given that this is the 3rd 32 caliber casing I have found in this location, i guess it makes sense. How can I tell if it is really a bullet slug? Thanks. It's oval shaped, pitted, and weighs 4 grams. Oh, the wrestling pin looks like it was sprayed with a gold color. Anyone know what those varsity pins are usually made of? Thanks for looking!

Daily_finds_6_30_13.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3

jsknsd

Apr 29, 2013
Hanford
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunting. Where was this at?

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. At a local high school. Kind of scary to find three bullet casings there.

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are those two figures doing on that little piece in the bottom right?....!

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some clean clad! How did you clean it or we're they mostly surface finds?

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArthurC: Most of it was filthy. I cleaned them by immersing in a mixture of white vinegar and water, rinsing under water, and drying off and then using a pencil eraser. The pencil eraser dramatically makes a difference. I have not heard that the eraser damages the coin at all or changes the value (maybe others can chime in on that) but for valuable coins I have heard you should not apply the vinegar because shining them up decreases the value. So I just do this for clad coins that have nothing beyond face value, which is what all of these were.

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is about 4 hours of work there.

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were the nickels very dark with discoloritation before cleaning? How long did you soak them?
It certainly was a good day for you! Especially since the kids got to participate, future treasure hunters in training..

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they were dark and filthy. Try the pencil eraser technique. Results are incredible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread